The Double Punt

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":2f6a05s1 said:
Torc":2f6a05s1 said:
It was a brilliant play by Dickson. If they'd won and Russell wasn't hurt, it would probably be the play of the game and talked about a lot.

For those that think it should be against the rules because it penalizes a great play by the defense....it's not illegal for a member of the kicking team to get a lucky bounce and run it for a first down or even a touchdown. That would also be a great play- would it be penalizing the defense? A great player had the dice roll his way, and took advantage of it and did his job. Kudos to him. I've never seen another player do that in decades of watching football, it's not something you're going to plan on doing. It was just heads up play, no need to change the rules to prevent it from happening again. Good play should be celebrated, not penalized.

Pete echoed this somewhat, he had said he never had seen that happen in all his years of coaching, that fact that Dickson kept track of the ball got to it first and was able to scoop and control and then kick was amazing, not likely those stars are going to align again like that for anyone else especially with the athletic ability of a punter such as Dickson.
It was even better than a double rainbow. 8)

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
My understanding of the rule is only the punter can pick the ball up and punt it again. If another position player was to pick up the blocked kick they couldn't punt it legally. They would have to try and run for the first down as their only option.

chrispy

Reaction score
I've thought, for a couple years, that Dickson consistently puts the best product on the field. He's not only one of the best at his position (as are a few other Seahawks) but he does it in new and different ways never seen before in the NFL. ...just cool to watch.

I'm glad that he's a Seahawk because there could be a dozen punts per game for the next few weeks.

Latest posts