The Double Punt

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Does anyone understand why this was not penalized? Even if two kicks are allowed on the same play, it sure looked like Dickson was past the LOS.

Yet another strange event in a night chock full of them...

James in PA

Reaction score
All I know is that if the Seahawks would’ve came back and won this game, that is all we would be hearing about today from the media. It would be like the “fail Mary” all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawke

Reaction score
It works the same way as a pass, as long as any part of his body was at or behind the LOS as he was punting it isnt a penalty. I think in the replay his back leg or arm was at the LOS which was the 21ish i believe. Still, it was a really cool play and the way he scooped the ball up was pretty smooth.

James in PA

Reaction score
Well it’s crystal clear now that the rules expert on Fox (I forget his name but the guy always hates on the Seahawks) is a complete idiot. He said it was against the rules for him to kick twice — scary that their expert doesn’t know the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Ahhh once again the Seahawks do something that messes with the NFL and the rule books, reading on PFT that they now want to change the rule, Dicksons leg was at the line of scrimmage but his follow thru went past they said so it should have been a foul.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
How is there not a post just on the amazing pick up on that ball by dickson!!!

That thing was spinning like a top, he was running full speed and effortlessly scooped it up one handed. Then he punted a beauty!!!

That play on the ball was amazing!

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":139yxglj said:
Ahhh once again the Seahawks do something that messes with the NFL and the rule books, reading on PFT that they now want to change the rule, Dicksons leg was at the line of scrimmage but his follow thru went past they said so it should have been a foul.

The rule is the same for kickers and quarterbacks, they just need to have some part of their body behind the line of scrimmage . Nobody wants to take away from opportunities for more offense, at least not at the league offices level.

Personally, I think it was a head's up play that really isn't going to happen very often.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Fudwamper":2nzgamrw said:
How is there not a post just on the amazing pick up on that ball by dickson!!!

That thing was spinning like a top, he was running full speed and effortlessly scooped it up one handed. Then he punted a beauty!!!

That play on the ball was amazing!

I wanted so bad for him to run for the first down. Now that would've been truly amazing

flv

Reaction score
Lawke":3pityha1 said:
It works the same way as a pass, as long as any part of his body was at or behind the LOS as he was punting it isnt a penalty. I think in the replay his back leg or arm was at the LOS which was the 21ish i believe. Still, it was a really cool play and the way he scooped the ball up was pretty smooth.
Except that 2 forward passes are now illegal and punished by a loss-of-down penalty.

flv

Reaction score
The current rule allows for 2 kicks. The current rule states he must be completely over the LOS for the 2nd punt to be illegal. So far all well and good from a Seahawks point of view. Clearly there were multiple players downfield. I don't know if that's illegal on a 2nd punt but clearly it should be. If it isn't there may be an advantage to have someone stand behind the punter so he could punt the ball to the punter who could then make a 2nd punt free of illegal man downfield penalties. See how silly this gets? 2 passes was wrong and is now illegal. I hope this rule is changed in the offseason.

sutz

Reaction score
Just reliving his Australian Rules Football days. :twisted:

kidhawk

Reaction score
flv":snwa1n79 said:
Lawke":snwa1n79 said:
Except that 2 forward passes are now illegal and punished by a loss-of-down penalty.

2 forward passes have been illegal 'forever'. The reason a second forward pass is illegal is because pretty much anyone in the game can throw a reasonable pass, but punting is much more highly specialized. It's a rare occasion that a punter gets a second chance at a punt and if he can recover the ball and stay behind the line of scrimmage and punt it again, then he deserves all the praise we can give him.

flv

Reaction score
kidhawk":25nqwx4w said:
2 forward passes have been illegal 'forever'. The reason a second forward pass is illegal is because pretty much anyone in the game can throw a reasonable pass, but punting is much more highly specialized. It's a rare occasion that a punter gets a second chance at a punt and if he can recover the ball and stay behind the line of scrimmage and punt it again, then he deserves all the praise we can give him.
Whilst the 2nd pass has been illegal 'forever' it was still beneficial to attempt it, hence the new penalty for 2021. Someone could make a similar argument to you when it came to a long FG attempt. If it was blocked behind the LOS by the offense that player could attempt to punt the ball away. Instead of the defense getting the ball at the spot of the FG attempt or at the recovery spot they might end up with it inside their own 20. If we go down that route why not say the player can throw it instead of punting it? Does this sort of chicanery add something to the game? If the Punter or Kicker is going to become a runner or QB should he lose the Defenseless Player designation?

I appreciate the heads-up play by the Seahawks punter but to me it's a random 70 yard penalty for making a good defensive play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
flv":ml0ivnm8 said:
kidhawk":ml0ivnm8 said:
Whilst the 2nd pass has been illegal 'forever' it was still beneficial to attempt it, hence the new penalty for 2021. Someone could make a similar argument to you when it came to a long FG attempt. If it was blocked behind the LOS by the offense that player could attempt to punt the ball away. Instead of the defense getting the ball at the spot of the FG attempt or at the recovery spot they might end up with it inside their own 20. If we go down that route why not say the player can throw it instead of punting it? Does this sort of chicanery add something to the game? If the Punter or Kicker is going to become a runner or QB should he lose the Defenseless Player designation?

I appreciate the heads-up play by the Seahawks punter but to me it's a random 70 yard penalty for making a good defensive play.

It was a good Special teams (defensive play), only it happened to be a better special teams (punter) play. It's called playing football. Sure the guy made a good play, but that's like saying that if a guy hits a quarterback while he's throwing the ball and it somehow goes directly to the running back in front of him, and he runs for 70 yards, is that penalizing a good defensive play? Nah, it's just football. Wild and crazy stuff happening doesn't mean the rules need to be changed.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What's amazing is Dickson was still able to kick the 2nd punt about 55 yards or so.....on the run. Wow!

John63

Reaction score
His back health was on their when he started the punt so they gave it to him. It was a great play by our punter.

Torc

Reaction score
It was a brilliant play by Dickson. If they'd won and Russell wasn't hurt, it would probably be the play of the game and talked about a lot.

For those that think it should be against the rules because it penalizes a great play by the defense....it's not illegal for a member of the kicking team to get a lucky bounce and run it for a first down or even a touchdown. That would also be a great play- would it be penalizing the defense? A great player had the dice roll his way, and took advantage of it and did his job. Kudos to him. I've never seen another player do that in decades of watching football, it's not something you're going to plan on doing. It was just heads up play, no need to change the rules to prevent it from happening again. Good play should be celebrated, not penalized.

chris98251

Reaction score
Torc":lk0sv6c7 said:
It was a brilliant play by Dickson. If they'd won and Russell wasn't hurt, it would probably be the play of the game and talked about a lot.

For those that think it should be against the rules because it penalizes a great play by the defense....it's not illegal for a member of the kicking team to get a lucky bounce and run it for a first down or even a touchdown. That would also be a great play- would it be penalizing the defense? A great player had the dice roll his way, and took advantage of it and did his job. Kudos to him. I've never seen another player do that in decades of watching football, it's not something you're going to plan on doing. It was just heads up play, no need to change the rules to prevent it from happening again. Good play should be celebrated, not penalized.

Pete echoed this somewhat, he had said he never had seen that happen in all his years of coaching, that fact that Dickson kept track of the ball got to it first and was able to scoop and control and then kick was amazing, not likely those stars are going to align again like that for anyone else especially with the athletic ability of a punter such as Dickson.