The Denver pick can easily move down to 5

Ozzy

Reaction score
I posted this earlier but defensive lineman aren't sure bets to be hits a whole lot more than quarterbacks. Rob Staton(I think) did an article highlighting how many have missed that have been drafted in the top 5. If John thinks he has an elite QB available he would be crazy not to take one. Some on here have taken this as Geno hate but its not. They are in a great position. I'm a little lower on Geno than most but he's definitely proven to be good enough that you aren't FORCED to take a quarterback. If you don't love one whether you're at 3,4,5 then take the best defensive player or whoever instead and let someone else gamble on a QB that you're not crazy about. It's an ideal situation really. It also I think opens up the possibility of Richardson as option C which is keeping Geno and drafting a QB that you develop with immense talent, for a couple of years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Someone did a recent dive of top 5 defensive lineman taken over the past few years and it wasn’t a ton better than the quarterbacks.

The difference is you can usually recover from a bad D-line or other position group high pick.

Not usually the case with taking a QB top 10 and he sucks, can set your franchise back years.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The difference is you can usually recover from a bad D-line or other position group high pick.

Not usually the case with taking a QB top 10 and he sucks, can set your franchise back years.
I have the same belief but I’m wondering if it’s not as bad as we think it is because of the contract scale and it might be more perception. If you pass on a Herbert or a Mahomes for Solomon Torres and he misses your fan base is pissed off for a long time

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have the same belief but I’m wondering if it’s not as bad as we think it is because of the contract scale and it might be more perception. If you pass on a Herbert or a Mahomes for Solomon Torres and he misses your fan base is pissed off for a long time

For sure, but for every Mahomes or Herbert there 8 or 9 Zack Wilsons, Justin Fields, Sam Darnolds and Trey Lances.

I'm not against drafting a QB if Schneider REALLY loves one of these QB's. But damn man, you better be sure cause we're never going to have this much draft capital to really pack this roster with talent for a VERY long time. If ever.

GemCity

Reaction score
For sure, but for every Mahomes or Herbert there 8 or 9 Zack Wilsons, Justin Fields, Sam Darnolds and Trey Lances.

I'm not against drafting a QB if Schneider REALLY loves one of these QB's. But damn man, you better be sure cause we're never going to have this much draft capital to really pack this roster with talent for a VERY long time. If ever.
Well said. I think I’ve mentioned taking D-line and LBs with the first four picks but, if JS has a QB he loves….

Ozzy

Reaction score
Well said. I think I’ve mentioned taking D-line and LBs with the first four picks but, if JS has a QB he loves….
And even if he takes a QB with the first pick he can still attack the defense with another first, 2 seconds etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

If I were to rank need;

1. D-line
2. LB
3. Guard
4. CB
5. Center
6. QB
7. WR

Can probably address guard and center in free agency, and obviously QB jumps to the top 1-2 of the list if Geno and his agent get crazy in the off season and demand silly money that we're not going to pay.

So probably want to lock his ass up with a new contract before the draft.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
For sure we'd rather have the #3 pick, or #2 if the Colts can beat the Texans and Denver loses.

The Colts beating the Texans has nothing to do with Seattle getting the second pick. Seattle would need Denver to lose and the Bears to lose for Seattle to get the second pick.

JPatera76

Reaction score
If I were to rank need;

1. D-line
2. LB
3. Guard
4. CB
5. Center
6. QB
7. WR

Can probably address guard and center in free agency, and obviously QB jumps to the top 1-2 of the list if Geno and his agent get crazy in the off season and demand silly money that we're not going to pay.

thats a solid order of needs by this team. Totally agree. I'd probably swap Center and guard around but then again idk how much of different it is. Blythe isn't BAD but he's not great and get gets owned at the snap and pushed back. But that could be him trying to take two guys while our guards flop around like rotating doors letting linemen at the QB/RB

This offseason Id like to see major improvement on the RB's picking up their blocks.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I would not be upset if they traded down to like 8 and picked Skoronski as shoring up the OL is always a good idea and he appears to be great

Ozzy

Reaction score
If I were to rank need;

1. D-line
2. LB
3. Guard
4. CB
5. Center
6. QB
7. WR

How much tho? People thought paying Russ 30+ was the reason we had a meddling roster. Do you have any worries jumping right back in to paying a guy that much with one really good half of a year at age 32? I don’t mean to sound snarky there although I admit my skepticism of Geno is creeping in a little heavy there. Maybe you somewhat agree and see 30 as silly money.

Ozzy

Reaction score

Ok so I’ve always said this same thing so this isn’t me picking on you but why do we believe it and repeat it? The way rookie contracts are structured why is this true? I know why historically before they capped the contracts and rookie QBs we’re getting a ton of money but they don’t now. What is the proof of this? This is a genuine question. I can’t think of a really objective solid answer or one that’s any better than the alternative of missing out on a franchise guy is either. What is so much worse about a QB busting and not a lineman?

Jac

Reaction score
And even if he takes a QB with the first pick he can still attack the defense with another first, 2 seconds etc.
That's why I hope there's a QB there he likes (and is worth taking). There is no better time than this year. You still have another first (middle round'ish) and a high second. They probably won't have this kind of draft capital for a while.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking we’d end up at #5 for a few weeks, but #3 would be sweet!

I would rank the needs slightly different:

1. DT
2. LB
3. Guard
4. WR
5. Center
6. SS
7. RB

If the DT get push, our DE, especially Taylor, will be fine. The tackles were pretty bad except goal line situations.

LB have been below average to bad for awhile. Teams fest on our second level - this MUST change.

RG has been more of a need than has been talked about. The run game and Geno (or whoever is the QB) will benefit by an upgrade. Cooper Beebe with the second 2nd Rd pick?

WR. Tyler, DK, and who?

I would be interested if (C) John Michael Schmitz were available, but I think they would look later in the draft for a diamond in the rough.

SS and Running back need more depth.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking we’d end up at #5 for a few weeks, but #3 would be sweet!

I would rank the needs slightly different:

1. DT
2. LB
3. Guard
4. WR
5. Center
6. SS
7. RB

If the DT get push, our DE, especially Taylor, will be fine. The tackles were pretty bad except goal line situations.

LB have been below average to bad for awhile. Teams fest on our second level - this MUST change.

RG has been more of a need than has been talked about. The run game and Geno (or whoever is the QB) will benefit by an upgrade. Cooper Beebe with the second 2nd Rd pick?

WR. Tyler, DK, and who?

I would be interested if (C) John Michael Schmitz were available, but I think they would look later in the draft for a diamond in the rough.

SS and Running back need more depth.
This is how I see it too. WR is a forgotten need on this team. Staton has me convinced after some game tape that Van Pran would be an ideal C for this team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ok so I’ve always said this same thing so this isn’t me picking on you but why do we believe it and repeat it? The way rookie contracts are structured why is this true? I know why historically before they capped the contracts and rookie QBs we’re getting a ton of money but they don’t now. What is the proof of this? This is a genuine question. I can’t think of a really objective solid answer or one that’s any better than the alternative of missing out on a franchise guy is either. What is so much worse about a QB busting and not a lineman?

Because the QB is the most important position on the team, so a bad one cannot be hidden or benched without tremendous repercussions.

This is not a novel opinion, not sure why you're still confused.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Because the QB is the most important position on the team, so a bad one cannot be hidden or benched without tremendous repercussions.

This is not a novel opinion, not sure why you're still confused.
Because it’s an outdated view in my opinion and im open to being wrong as ive stated, I used to say the same thing. The Jets just did it, AZ did it to take Murray the very next year, San Fran seems fine without Lance etc. so maybe it’s not me that’s confused? Im just questioning the narrative because we’ve seen mutliple examples recently of it not having tremendous repercussions. Maybe Im an idiot but I don’t think it’s the death sentence we’ve always thought it was and maybe with the value of the position it’s usually worth the risk?

BASF

Reaction score
Because it’s an outdated view in my opinion and im open to being wrong as ive stated, I used to say the same thing. The Jets just did it, AZ did it to take Murray the very next year, San Fran seems fine without Lance etc. so maybe it’s not me that’s confused? Im just questioning the narrative because we’ve seen mutliple examples recently of it not having tremendous repercussions. Maybe Im an idiot but I don’t think it’s the death sentence we’ve always thought it was and maybe with the value of the position it’s usually worth the risk?
It certainly has changed with the contracts being capped, however, the difference is the depth at each position. If you use a high draft pick on a d-linemen and he doesn't produce as a major difference maker, he will still be on the field in the rotation with several others, this affords them more opportunities to make an impact. If you waste a high draft pick on a QB that makes no impact, the most he can contribute is on the scout team. Maybe you get "lucky" and he can win you a game or two when your impact QB that starts gets injured.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It certainly has changed with the contracts being capped, however, the difference is the depth at each position. If you use a high draft pick on a d-linemen and he doesn't produce as a major difference maker, he will still be on the field in the rotation with several others, this affords them more opportunities to make an impact. If you waste a high draft pick on a QB that makes no impact, the most he can contribute is on the scout team. Maybe you get "lucky" and he can win you a game or two when your impact QB that starts gets injured.
Unless you get an LJ Collier lol. But its a valid point. I guess my point is it’s diminished over time drastically.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Well, we’re sitting here watching Trevor down Nearly a score against someone signed off someone’s ps a couple weeks ago After the half. Fact is the Pieces around them matter more.