The bad 11. All 22 look at the run fails.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere. Urlacher was never a beast against the run. In his later years he became proficient at it to the point where he didn't need to have the big DTs in front him AS MUCH, but also in his later years he lost quite a bit of range and was less effective in coverage.

From the horses mouth: Urlacher was in the pro bowl with Jeremiah Trotter years ago. They were talking on the sideline and Urlacher was gushing about how Trotter got off blocks and how he needed to improve in that area.

OTOH, Urlacher being a former safety was highly effective in coverage right off the bat.

To the point, none of the video evidence shown is about Wagner getting off blocks. You'd be hard pressed to find a MLB who sheds blocks better game in and game out. Does he have times where he locks up with an OL? Sure, every LB does. Most have a much harder time than Bobby just because of the natural physics of tangling with much larger players, but as a percentage Wagner is very successful in that area.

Also, Wagner's two interceptions against the Dolphins last year were prototypical interceptions. The first he tracked the WR deep and undercut the route near the sideline for the pick. The other he tracked back across and high pointed the INT. There are backers better in coverage than Wagner, but it's not a weakness.

Exhibit A:

We run a lot of cover 3 which only leaves two LBs in short zones. We get a lot of complaints about our LBs in general in coverage and it's generally about choosing the lesser of two evils. In cover 3 the middle of the field has a lot of space, but it protects you deep. I don't have a vid right off hand on cover 3, but yesterday I saw us run a short play against cover 2 buc with success. In cover 2 you have 3 LBs in short zones to protect against short throws. We hardly ever run it because it has vulnerabilities deep. When we do run a cover 2 we use cover 2 buc. This is where the MLB bails deep to protect against the area between the safeties.

iBRUrGimM6Kge.gif

As you can see the MLB bails and there are only 2 LBs covering short zones. It's more vulnerable to short throws than standard cover 2 and at least in respect to cover 3, those 2 LBs zones are the same. Because of our bend, but don't break style we take the risk of less coverage short and more coverage deep. This leaves whichever LBs are in the shorts zones with quite difficult jobs.

Man coverage is different of course.

Back to Urlacher, the player today who is currently most like him is Keuchly. His strong suit is not getting off blocks. He's a guy, like Urlacher, who needs to run free to be able to beat angles or he becomes less effective. Knowing this, the Panthers spent two high draft picks on DTs. One of which was the best DT in the draft. The other, Short, probably played with the most natural leverage of all DTs in the draft.

Notice their DTs and also notice Keuchly here.

IkmP1secKSAFL

I know it's easier for people to blame one person, but that doesn't make it right. I know it's easier to look at past "legendary" LBs as examples, but they too are flawed like everyone else and we may or may not be practicing the same concepts.

This game is not a simple as it's made out to be. Breaking down a single play isn't even as simple as it's made out to be. Looking at the Panthers play above, what if you replace Short with McDonald and McDonald is rendered null like our last game? That lane is wide open and Kechly is 5-6 yards deep and reach blocked by an OL, which he's not going to beat.

hawk45

Reaction score
OP and VinCouve went above and beyond in this thread, thanks from the rest of us.

I'd be interested to know if, in the games we defended the run capably, it really does show up clear as day that the DL were doing much better at keeping the LOS from getting all distorted. Obviously based on all the analysis above the answer to that has to be yes. In which case, I guess one action the coaches might need to look at is to be a bit more conservative when it comes to substituting the pass-rushing guys because boy do they get beat.

Funny thing is, if we did get caught with the pass-rushers out there against the Bucs, I would at least have hoped that we were...generating more of a pass rush. We did get a couple very key sacks, but I definitely did not feel that Glennon was under siege out there. That's a pretty big fail IMO at home.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Thanks couve.

I guess I have never thought Bobby was particularly bad in coverage, I know our short area zone concepts aren't particularly complicated.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3hx86px4 said:
Thanks couve.

I guess I have never thought Bobby was particularly bad in coverage, I know our short area zone concepts aren't particularly complicated.
Yeah, thanks for starting the thread. :thirishdrinkers:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
That thread at FGs also gives me an opportunity to be critical of Bobby though.

If you look at this Pathers play, you can see that they're in a cover 2 man. Two safeties deep and everyone else man up.

i1cIvfBRjFcNU.gif

Keuchly, like Urlacher, being unusually good in coverage right into the NFL gets his head around here and picks this off. If you rewind to last year against the Falcons, Bobby was in perfect position to defend that last pass to Gonzo, but he didn't get his head turned. Granted, we weren't in man, and the timing of the delivery was better in that the ball was already in the air when Gonzo turned, but given that Wagner was in the right spot he could have made that play too. Just needed to turn his head and know where the ball was.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Take note of that defensive look, they know that if the show Ryan press he tends to look for Gonzalez, so they bracketed him.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawk45":1jed9beo said:
OP and VinCouve went above and beyond in this thread, thanks from the rest of us......
Yes, thanks Scott and thanks Vin. I feel smarter now. Probably just self-delusion but still...... :D

StoneCold

Reaction score
Yes, thanks very much. I do feel smarter...until I close this thread. :)

SC

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Scottemojo":lpcccrcy said:
Take note of that defensive look, they know that if the show Ryan press he tends to look for Gonzalez, so they bracketed him.

That's true. We were in a prevent look just like the previous play where we let them complete a 20 some odd yarder and get out of bounds. I'll never be a fan of prevent, but coaches just can't help themselves at the end of games.

plyka

Reaction score
Scottemojo":12sdsdow said:
A lot of blame has been placed on Wagner this week, I wanted to look closer at the bad plays.

Tampa had 38 run plays. of those, 12 went for more than 5 yards. One of those was a QB scramble.

The other 11 went for 132 yards. What broke down on those 11 plays?

1QTR
:58 Tampa targets a left side of Irvin, Avril, and Hill. Hill got moved almost ten yards, Wagner held his gap just fine, but got caught up in the wash when the play went wide left. Not on Wagner, this breakdown when Irvin got owned by the tight end and Avril got walked out of contain. Gain 21
:26 The very next play it was Wagner and the RB one on one in the gap, Wagner got juked and whiffed. Gap sound, bad tackle. Wagner's whiff costs 6 yards. Gain 8
2QTR
13:32 Trap play. Wright gets blocked by a guard, and Wagner makes the trap worse by sliding to cover for Irvin who was getting owned on the edge. Definitely Wagner loses assignment trying to cover for Irvin. Gain 9

8:57 Quinn calls a Wagner blitz, which worked once already. It fails, Wright gets blocked, but definitely not on Wagner. Gain 8
7:50 Wham play. McDaniel penetrates the backfield a little too easy, the pulling guard cleans his clock. Wagner held his gap fine, and in fact this play would have been killed if Wright hadn't been held badly.gain 11

3QTR
14:23 Straight up power block, center takes Mebane, LT takes Red, and 54 needs to get into the gap and take on the guard at the point of attack. He hesitates, the guard gets out onto him, gain 9.

13:39 Well defended, this is the play where McDaniel throws the RB forward for a gain of 6.

12:13 WR end around. A lot of motion by Tampa has seattle swap Irvin and Avril, Avril goes to set the edge and plays right into the TE, who seals him off. As bad as Avril plays it, if Tampa doesn't get away with a 2nd pretty obvious hold on Wright this play is killed near the line. Gain 14

11:31 Another Wham play, this time it's Bennett who penetrates the backfield too easy and gets smacked by the pulling guard. At the same time, McDonald gets surprised by the trapping center, and the guard he was across from is the guy who pulls and hits Bennett. Wagner slides right to stop the cutback lane, but his gap is the one they go through. If he had stayed, the running back had a cutback lane, but this one has to be on Wagner. Gain 18

4:22 I formation from Tampa, Mebane is doubled, the guard who doubled him peels off and gets to Wagner. The fullback hits the hole and Wright takes him on. Its a well executed play by Tampa, hard to assign fault, although once again Avril gets run blocked way too easy. Gain 17

4QTR
14:13 This is one on Wagner. Rather than take on a blocker, he tries to go around, and leaves his gap to do so. Wagner is visibly frustrated by now. Gain 11.

There was plenty of blame to go around vs Tampa. Irvin can be blocked by pretty much any tight end, Avril is pretty easy to push around on the edge, McDonald got abused a few times, Bennett and McDaniel were trying so hard to get to the QB that they didn't see pulling guards trying to earhole them, and on the handful of traps Tampa ran, Wright and Wagner let the guards/center get on them. Wagner absolutely did leave his gap a few times, but seemed to be doing so in response to the players in front of him getting out of position.

Nice writeup. I am against this blame Wagner crap. It's an easy meme created by the media in this town, an easy story they can sell to their listeners, not to mention have "proof," ie. they did well against the run when Smith was in instead of Wagner. That said, I would love to see the LBs get rotated so Smith gets time, he is a great LB, but it is complete craziness to blame the run d fail on Wagner.

It seems to be that offenses have started to take advantage of the Seahawks style of play. Defensive lines typically either shoot gaps in order to get penetration or go straight up, giving up direct penetration in favor of keeping an even line, and having the option for each Dlinemen to shed their blocker and go either way. The Seahawks tend to be the shoot the gaps for penetration type defense. The counters, WHAMs, pulls, etc. work against that type of defense. You allow a linemen to get up field, block them off, seal the other guy, and you have a big alley way for your back to run right through. I don't think it's any player in specific's problem, it's just the style of defense the Hawks are playing.

What's the fix? I don't know if there are many outside of mixing it up on defense. When you think they may run, don't shoot the gaps and play your blocker straight up, especially early in the game. Play more base defense.