The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Crizilla

Reaction score
Absolutely embarrassing. Servais with another absolute bone head decision....takes Kikuchi out when it's a good Kikuchi day. 76 pitches, 54 of them strikes. Why take him out?

Chapow

Reaction score
Crizilla":yqggox5c said:
Absolutely embarrassing. Servais with another absolute bone head decision....takes Kikuchi out when it's a good Kikuchi day. 76 pitches, 54 of them strikes. Why take him out?

Because Kikuchi got himself into pretty big trouble in both the 4th and 5th innings and was pretty fortunate to get out of it without any damage both times. Also, the bullpen has generally been very good this season so it makes sense to go to the strength of your team when your starter gets into trouble in back to back innings.

Obviously it didn't work out very well today, but it sure seemed like the right call at the time to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This is why I dislike the Mariners so much. Just when you think they’re getting hot they fail. Just like the KC games.

They aren’t making the playoffs. Not because other teams are going to beat them out, but because we are the team that always finds a way to fail.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, that sucks. Too much swinging for the fences and not getting people on base before the dingers.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Chapow":168g3s9s said:
Crizilla":168g3s9s said:

Because Kikuchi got himself into pretty big trouble in both the 4th and 5th innings and was pretty fortunate to get out of it without any damage both times. Also, the bullpen has generally been very good this season so it makes sense to go to the strength of your team when your starter gets into trouble in back to back innings.

Obviously it didn't work out very well today, but it sure seemed like the right call at the time to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know the BP has been good the point is why waste BP when Kikcuhi only gives up 1 run at 76 pitches? Rest your BP for the Boston series. There was no good reason to take Kikuchi out. Now more BP was used AND they lost the game/series. No spinning this one.

sutz

Reaction score
Crizilla":2nzx5llj said:
Chapow":2nzx5llj said:
Crizilla":2nzx5llj said:

I know the BP has been good the point is why waste BP when Kikcuhi only gives up 1 run at 76 pitches? Rest your BP for the Boston series. There was no good reason to take Kikuchi out. Now more BP was used AND they lost the game/series. No spinning this one.
Sounds to me like you're "spinning" this to make Servais look bad. I agree with Chapow, YK was pitching on the edge. Miseravitch might have set a record, giving up 3 runs on 6 pitches. :34853_doh:

Crizilla

Reaction score
I like listening to east coast sports talk because they tell it like it is and aren't constantly making excuses. Yankee radio went absolute during their slide. Fans booing. Lighting fire under people's asses, etc. I'm not making any excuses either right here. Lose 2 of 3 to the worst team in baseball in mid September playoff race and expect no excuses from me. Simple as that.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":ps765641 said:
I like listening to east coast sports talk because they tell it like it is and aren't constantly making excuses. Yankee radio went absolute during their slide. Fans booing. Lighting fire under people's asses, etc. I'm not making any excuses either right here. Lose 2 of 3 to the worst team in baseball in mid September playoff race and expect no excuses from me. Simple as that.

I’m not so sure that is east coast vs west coast media, but more no one really cares about the Mariners. If the Hawks lost to a bad team in the middle of a playoff hunt, the media would be all over them. When you are the worst MLB franchise does anyone really care when they blow it? I don’t think so.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm fully expecting us to win this series. Boston is struggling and we tend to win when everyone thinks we are done. Anything short of winning this series and the season is all but done.

253hawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/1437816583288541184[/tweet]

2023 All-Star Game?

sutz

Reaction score
253hawk":1gg45jbq said:

2023 All-Star Game?
I sure hope they're not announcing a pickup of the Kikuchi option at the end of the season. :shock:

Threedee

Reaction score
253hawk":3sv7dsel said:

2023 All-Star Game?

Timing is about right. 1978-2001 was 23 years, and 2001-2023 would be 22 years. I look forward to seeing an NL base coach getting plunked by one of his batters.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Kelenic has to be the least clutch guy I’ve ever seen. He’s had so many opportunities throughout the season to have a hit that would possibly boost him and the team, but he almost always comes up short. Struck out last night with bases loaded, and just struck out with the game winning run on second in the ninth inning.

This game is huge. We ain’t coming back from 4 GB with like 15 games remaining. 2 GB is a different story.

sutz

Reaction score
Our super-duper bullpen really shit the bed in this series. 11.2 innings, 14 runs. :34853_doh:

Wow. :shock:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Season is done. I’m not surprised the team folded, it’s the Mariners we are talking about.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Props to Dipoto for realizing before the trade deadline that you can't ride your bullpen all the way to the playoffs. It just doesn't work like that. Reality has set in. Offense just not there yet. Besides Kelenic is ANYONE in the bottom half of the line up coming back next year? Should they? My goodness.