Story of the Game?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3t0xwntf said:
All of you wanna be offensive coordinators need to send your resume, because the 4th ranked O last year just isn't good enough. Seriously, it's the execution not the call. How many playoff wins and super bowl wins did they have before Bevell? And I love the quarterback coach telling us how Russ is just terrible for holding the ball...19 fourth quarter comeback wins, guess you will never be happy.

So we are not allowed to be critical and analyze clearly strange play calling on a fan forum message board?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tical21":ta3pqf43 said:
If 16 doesn't have the dropsies I think we get rolling a lot earlier.

Yea, what was up with that?

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
kearly":3gottsi1 said:
The game plan to contain Wilson backfired on teams spectacularly when Seattle ran the spread last year. It essentially gives Wilson a couple of extra seconds in the pocket. It is a good strategy against Wilson when we are running the 2012 style offense though.

Seattle started to go to the spread a bit in the 4th quarter and it was working pretty well.

Thank you kearly, it was like night and day.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":1n1q6nak said:
All of you wanna be offensive coordinators need to send your resume, because the 4th ranked O last year just isn't good enough. Seriously, it's the execution not the call. How many playoff wins and super bowl wins did they have before Bevell? And I love the quarterback coach telling us how Russ is just terrible for holding the ball...19 fourth quarter comeback wins, guess you will never be happy.

The entire first half last year Bevell continued to do the same exact thing in spite of continued losses. We were terrible last year, until he finally changed the offense BUT most of those stats were the result of a cupcake second half schedule and a remarkable quarterback who is productive in spite of his OC, not because of him. Everyone always refers to our being the best running team in the league as if that is vindication for our offensive line, but take out RW's improvised yds that have NOTHING to do w/the run blocking and we are middle of the pack.

Besides, I thought we were going to start vetting out Bevell's relatives on the board.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
HawkGA":1700mx6k said:
Tical21":1700mx6k said:
If 16 doesn't have the dropsies I think we get rolling a lot earlier.

Yea, what was up with that?

Not to mention some of those penalties were killing our huge drives. Lockett convert both those drops we at least get in field goal range.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":39dosgrk said:
dogorama":39dosgrk said:
Everyone always refers to our being the best running team in the league as if that is vindication for our offensive line, but take out RW's improvised yds that have NOTHING to do w/the run blocking and we are middle of the pack.

Besides, I thought we were going to start vetting out Bevell's relatives on the board.

That's pretty intellectually dishonest. You would have to take out ALL teams improvised yards, which every team gets. The teams near the top of the league in rushing usually have a QB that scrambles/runs.

Intellectually dishonest? You're ignoring my basic premise.

You have to remember this is in reference to justifying offensive line play by using our rushing stat. The stat is skewed in relation to that by yds that have nothing to do w/offensive line play.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1w8u99pg said:
dogorama":1w8u99pg said:
FlyHawksFly":1w8u99pg said:
dogorama":1w8u99pg said:
Everyone always refers to our being the best running team in the league as if that is vindication for our offensive line, but take out RW's improvised yds that have NOTHING to do w/the run blocking and we are middle of the pack.

That's pretty intellectually dishonest. You would have to take out ALL teams improvised yards, which every team gets. The teams near the top of the league in rushing usually have a QB that scrambles/runs.

Intellectually dishonest? You're ignoring my basic premise.

You have to remember this is in reference to justifying offensive line play by using our rushing stat. The stat is skewed in relation to that by yds that have nothing to do w/offensive line play.

You would have to do that across the board for every team, to get an idea of how Seattle's oline is doing relative to the rest of the league. If per designed run they are still producing near the league high compared to the rest of the league, that's a pretty good indication that they are blocking well in the run game.

You would have to do it compared to the rest of the league if they had comparable running quarterbacks but there are only three or four comparable in the entire league and yes, their rushing stats are skewed too. But don't take my word for it look for yourself and remember last year was a low year for RW, the year before he had 900 yds. http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":r8rrb37a said:
Baldwin beating Maxwell on 4th and 4 on the final drive.

That is the story.
Burnt Toast? :laugh:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IIRC: RW changed quite a few plays. Was it the OC who caused all those friggin' penalties? Did he force RW to miss some very important throws? How about the dropped passes...was that Bevell's fault too?

And as far as your snarky remark about Bevell relatives; I thought we had a limit on whiners?

How come it took you so long to find us here...Newbie?

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3190jq7h said:
IIRC: RW changed quite a few plays. Was it the OC who caused all those friggin' penalties? Did he force RW to miss some very important throws? How about the dropped passes...was that Bevell's fault too?

And as far as your snarky remark about Bevell relatives; I thought we had a limit on whiners?

Is this a personal attack? The Bevell relative remark was facetious and Newbie? Maybe it's time to put a cork in the bottle.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3s8i4n6s said:
What a ridiculous thread.

Fox kept showing their DC looking at his play card on big 3rd downs and jumping around with his players after big stops. Causes the casual fan to think. "Man this guy must be a genius!" hence the thread.

Granted Bevell was iffy today, no disputing that. But I don't think their DC did anything crazy, they used their stacked front 4 to shoot gaps and get TFL and rush the passer, meh.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":m53c8k0l said:
LymonHawk":m53c8k0l said:

Is this a personal attack? The Bevell relative remark was facetious and Newbie? Maybe it's time to put a cork in the bottle.

Personal attack?...and you wonder why I made that remark? LOL! Facetious? Yeah, me too.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2qljqeg6 said:
dogorama":2qljqeg6 said:
LymonHawk":2qljqeg6 said:

Personal attack?...and you wonder why I made that remark? LOL! Facetious? Yeah, me too.

We are having a discussion, not everybody agrees but I thought it was pretty civil and then you come along and make it something personal, it's inappropriate.

davidonmi

Reaction score
my main gripe with bevell was the 4th and 1 play call. Not even a play fake? seriously?

unfortunately the offense today was the product of a bunch of things working against them at once. Penalties, drops, bad line play, an injured QB for half the game.

I think it's very possible we lose next week, especially if we continue with the same game plan. Long term it's difficult to be worried though unless Wilson's ankle really is a problem.

All that matters at the end of the day though is we are 1-0 and the cards are 0-1

LymonHawk

Reaction score
dogorama":69o2ai6h said:
We are having a discussion, not everybody agrees but I thought it was pretty civil and then you come along and make it something personal, it's inappropriate.

You really want to drag this out, don't you? :141847_bnono: Sorry, but I don't need to pad my post count.

I'll see ya' in another thread...I'm done here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":245dv1s3 said:

The perception is that Bevell would be managing a McDonalds' right now without Wilson's improvisational skills to bail him out. Every good offensive performance is ad-libbed to some extent, but Wilson has had to pull out enough rabbits to empty North Dakota.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3lztwqu3 said:
dogorama":3lztwqu3 said:
You would have to do it compared to the rest of the league if they had comparable running quarterbacks but there are only three or four comparable in the entire league and yes, their rushing stats are skewed too. But don't take my word for it look for yourself and remember last year was a low year for RW, the year before he had 900 yds. http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php

Of the top running teams by yardage, 6-7 have QBs in the top ten in QB rushing yards. You are proving my point.

The point I am trying to make is that Russell Wilson is completely unique in this league, there are other QB's in the league that run for yds but there aren't any QB's who have his scrambling ability, not even close. The point is he gets lots of yds off of broken plays, namely passing plays. The yds he gets have nothing to do w/run blocking because it's a passing play and the linemen can't block downfield because they would be called for illegal receiver downfield. The yds probably shouldn't even be included in rushing yds.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3urz4vcv said:
dogorama":3urz4vcv said:
FlyHawksFly":3urz4vcv said:
dogorama":3urz4vcv said:

Of the top running teams by yardage, 6-7 have QBs in the top ten in QB rushing yards. You are proving my point.

The point I am trying to make is that Russell Wilson is completely unique in this league, there are other QB's in the league that run for yds but there aren't any QB's who have his scrambling ability, not even close. The point is he gets lots of yds off of broken plays, namely passing plays. The yds he gets have nothing to do w/run blocking because it's a passing play and the linemen can't block downfield because they would be called for illegal receiver downfield. The yds probably shouldn't even be included in rushing yds.

And my point is, you are completely ignoring other team's non-designed running totals. If you think guys like Fitzpatrick and Alex smith are taking more designed runs than Wilson, I would suggest maybe you watch more football.

While making relative evaluations, you must level the field. Taking away a portion of one team's rushing totals but not another is either a) disingenuous or b) a failed attempt at making a cogent point. Either you take away all non designed runs or you don't. Picking and choosing which teams we subtract yardage from to prove a point about blocking ability really just shows us your own opinion about the situation, as it isn't a substantive or fair evaluation.

So I take it you don't think RW is unique in that regard? Granted, there are other QB's that scramble but nowhere near as much as RW. This isn't just my opinion, it's a generally accepted fact in the NFL so why would I compare other teams when there is no comparison?