Sonics return

acer1240

Reaction score
I loved the Sonics and they are part of my childhood but I haven't watched an NBA game since they left. I catch scores every once in a while and it seems as though defense does not exist anymore.

I used to want my team back so bad but not if it is just a 3 point shooting contest every night...

OP
OP
acer1240

acer1240

Reaction score
I tried posting the link but it is not letting me. It's front page on CNN stating how the mayor is optimistic for a quick revival of the team

Chapow

Reaction score
Found the article and tried posting the link. The link just "disappears" from the post if I try to preview or submit the post. Weird.

Anyway, that article sure didn't make it sound like the Sonics were coming back anytime soon to me.

Which is fine with me. I'm pretty over it. If they come back, cool. If not, that's cool too. Don't care anymore either way.

Crizilla

Reaction score
NBA is boring to watch nowadays anyway like you said its just a 3 point shooting contest, every score is like 130 to 115. When the sonics were around scoring over 100 points was pretty rare. Theres absolutely no defense in NBA anymore

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I adopted the Bucks when we lost the Sonics. Like yourselves, I'm no longer rabid about the sport ...at least not the NBA. The Bucks play a pretty traditional style of basketball (by comparison). But they are weak against the 3 so they may exit earlier this year than I'd like.

Perhaps worse than the 3 pt circus is the ridiculous ticky-tack fouls that get called. I LMAO at the announcers trying to justify some BS call made by an official. Typically goes like "I don't know if you can call that a foul. Was that a foul"? Then after re-watching the play 3 times they'll oooo and ahhh exclaiming " There it is, yep, he brushed up against him right there. Now I see it. Great call by the official"!

I also don't understand why "flopping" even requires a warning, let alone a penalty. The offender is lying on the floor, leaving his team a man short. Isn't that sort of a self imposed penalty in itself?

It sure the heck is the game we grew up watching, but if we get the Sonics back I'll be stoked and I'll support them (as I do all of our teams).

RiverDog

Reaction score
The last NBA game I've watched from start to finish was when Michael Jordan and the Bulls beat John Stockton and the Jazz in the championship game back in the late 90's. Part of the reason for my waning interest has to do with the same aforementioned comments about 3 point shooting and no defense, but the colleges have virtually the same rules and I'm alot more interested in their game, so there has to be some other factor at work. Even before the Sonics moved, I'd lost interest.

Part of my disinterest in the NBA game has to be due to the way the league has marketed the sport. I'm 67 years old and everything, from the music they play during timeouts to their commercial advertising, simply doesn't appeal to a person that fits my demographical group. The CBK, the NFL, and MLB doesn't give me that same impression.

If the NBA ever returns the Sonics to Seattle, I'll try to rekindle my love affair with the sport, but it's hard to change a habit that I've developed for some 25 years.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I killed a tv over a Sonics playoff loss and the NBA
killed itself with me by taking the Sonics away with
that scam they pulled.
Bringing a redux Sonics back won't fix it for me.
The game has turned into a steaming pile of horseshit.
It's all about having it all easy..Bunch of 3's with no D
You can travel or double dribble and now they want to
expand on that shit?I'd rather watch a soap.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
RiverDog...I feel ya.

Just who the *^* are they blasting this oft times inappropriate music for? Whether at a Dawgs basketball game or about any football game, I look around and see absolutely nobody actually pleased with the music selection. You do see a a few middle aged hipsters (like Jen Cohen) that bounce around acting like they like the crap, but that just makes the experience even worse.

Indy..you and I both. What is this "Euro-step" garbage? They've developed a clever name to excuse blatant traveling. All in the spirit of producing high(er) flying dunks and higher scoring games. Remember "carrying"...that was once traveling. But no longer.

I can barely name all the teams now let alone the players. Did you know New Orleans named their team the Pelicans? What? Was Crawdads not available?

I'll check in and keep an eye on the Bucks when they're doing well, but other that I've not watched the NBA in many, many years. Many of my friends do and so they're trying to get me into it. I just blew out my back so out of complete boredom, I'm trying now.

But guys, I do have to concede this; There are some incredible ball players in the league today. Too bad it's so hard to watch.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of disinterest towards the NBA in Seattle, but it's still a great sport. The game has evolved, similar to football. Just like how the NFL has moved to a passing game, the NBA has moved to a 3-point game. That's just the way the game has gone. For the most part, it's more enjoyable. You can watch a team easily score 100 or more points each game.

If you don't like how the NBA has changed, then you probably don't like how the NFL has changed either. IMO, both have made the sport more enjoyable and more popular. The one main sport that is struggling is baseball. While the NBA and NFL have made the sport easier to watch with more offense, basbeall is going in the opposite direction, which is why you see them trying to change the rules so much in the last few years.

As for the posters who don't enjoy the ads and music, i'm going to go ahead and guess you are an old white guy. That's okay, but the sport is catered towards younger kids, particularly in urban areas. IMO the NFL and NBA have similar marketing strategies. Market the superstars, showcase offense, and the target audience is young people and people of color. For the most part, baseball's audience is particularly white, suburban area and older.

Maybe we agree to disagree, but the NBA very enjoyable. This year in particular is about as wide open as it gets. In the past two years we had the dynasty Spurs with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. The dynasty Lakers with Kobe and Shaq. Then we had some of those LeBron super teams. Then we had the Warriors peak. This is the first time in a while it feels like 8 teams could actually win the championship.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
Found the article and tried posting the link. The link just "disappears" from the post if I try to preview or submit the post. Weird.

Anyway, that article sure didn't make it sound like the Sonics were coming back anytime soon to me.

Which is fine with me. I'm pretty over it. If they come back, cool. If not, that's cool too. Don't care anymore either way.

This one?

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Suns so I haven't lost the NBA drive. When the Suns sucked for years, yea, I didn't watch much, but the last 3 years have been great.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of disinterest towards the NBA in Seattle, but it's still a great sport. The game has evolved, similar to football. Just like how the NFL has moved to a passing game, the NBA has moved to a 3-point game. That's just the way the game has gone. For the most part, it's more enjoyable. You can watch a team easily score 100 or more points each game.

If you don't like how the NBA has changed, then you probably don't like how the NFL has changed either. IMO, both have made the sport more enjoyable and more popular. The one main sport that is struggling is baseball. While the NBA and NFL have made the sport easier to watch with more offense, basbeall is going in the opposite direction, which is why you see them trying to change the rules so much in the last few years.

As for the posters who don't enjoy the ads and music, i'm going to go ahead and guess you are an old white guy. That's okay, but the sport is catered towards younger kids, particularly in urban areas. IMO the NFL and NBA have similar marketing strategies. Market the superstars, showcase offense, and the target audience is young people and people of color. For the most part, baseball's audience is particularly white, suburban area and older.

Maybe we agree to disagree, but the NBA very enjoyable. This year in particular is about as wide open as it gets. In the past two years we had the dynasty Spurs with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. The dynasty Lakers with Kobe and Shaq. Then we had some of those LeBron super teams. Then we had the Warriors peak. This is the first time in a while it feels like 8 teams could actually win the championship.
I'm having difficulty understanding that whole last paragraph. And I'm Unsure where you're getting your stats from. NBA ratings have been down for quite some time. Certainly since the era(s) you reference.

I am a middle aged "white guy" for sure. And I'm OK with you calling me that. I played the game my whole life starting as a kid in the inner city (Milwaukee). And I also played a lot of baseball. Yep. Baseball is probably boring to some. I get that. It's a thinking man's sport.

No, I'm not crazy about many of these rule changes you enjoy. I feel they are designed to entertain those with short attention spans. I enjoy a game with great defense as much as I do an offensive shoot-out.

The short attention span generation have hurt many sports. Football, basketball and they've ruined the once great sport of boxing. The short attention span do not possess the patience or mental fortitude to watch 12 full rds of such science and strategy. Nope, they want blood and they want it now. They want MMA.

Anyway, I guess you're entertained by the music played at these events, but I go to a ton of games and I do not see many people that are. And I don't see a large population of "urban youth and people of color" at these games either. What I do see is a helluva lot of empty seats. Probably because of the music.

This was fun and I thank you for your opinion and this banter. I do agree with you that this year's NBA play-offs may prove to be epic. Enjoy! Go Bucks!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty understanding that whole last paragraph. And I'm Unsure where you're getting your stats from. NBA ratings have been down for quite some time. Certainly since the era(s) you reference.

I am a middle aged "white guy" for sure. And I'm OK with you calling me that. I played the game my whole life starting as a kid in the inner city (Milwaukee). And I also played a lot of baseball. Yep. Baseball is probably boring to some. I get that. It's a thinking man's sport.

No, I'm not crazy about many of these rule changes you enjoy. I feel they are designed to entertain those with short attention spans. I enjoy a game with great defense as much as I do an offensive shoot-out.

The short attention span generation have hurt many sports. Football, basketball and they've ruined the once great sport of boxing. The short attention span do not possess the patience or mental fortitude to watch 12 full rds of such science and strategy. Nope, they want blood and they want it now. They want MMA.

Anyway, I guess you're entertained by the music played at these events, but I go to a ton of games and I do not see many people that are. And I don't see a large population of "urban youth and people of color" at these games either. What I do see is a helluva lot of empty seats. Probably because of the music.

This was fun and I thank you for your opinion and this banter. I do agree with you that this year's NBA play-offs may prove to be epic. Enjoy! Go Bucks!
The music I could careless about. In general, music is going to put off certain groups and please others. Can’t win everyone over I guess.

Baseball IMO does really well in local markets but not with casual fans. Baseball is probably more popular locally and NBA is more popular nationally. NBA is covered much more by the national media than baseball. And a lot of my bias against baseball likely has to do with me being in Seattle, a place that hasn’t had successful baseball in over 20 years.

I totally respect your old school ways of seeing the games of both NFL and NBA. The games are always changing.

Best of luck to your Bucks, it must have been exciting for you last season.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
There are certain types of music that are better received by much larger %s of the population, or at least types of music that don't put off as many people.

When I think of NBA music, I usually think of the NBA theme with the electric violin or whatever the hell that instrument is called. Catchy music. But I assume you guys are talking about rap music or whatever they play at games.

Live music needs to make a comeback in sports. Every team should have a little band or an organ player or something. After hearing clips of recorded music from other artists during games for the past few decades, I'm getting a bit tired of it.

Kenny45

Reaction score
I used to want my team back so bad but not if it is just a 3 point shooting contest every night...
Sorry to disappoint you, but 3-point shooting and getting out on the break even after made baskets are what's happening now. This isn't 1979

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are certain types of music that are better received by much larger %s of the population, or at least types of music that don't put off as many people.

When I think of NBA music, I usually think of the NBA theme with the electric violin or whatever the hell that instrument is called. Catchy music. But I assume you guys are talking about rap music or whatever they play at games.

Live music needs to make a comeback in sports. Every team should have a little band or an organ player or something. After hearing clips of recorded music from other artists during games for the past few decades, I'm getting a bit tired of it.
I agree with the live music at games. It's one of the attributes that separates college football from the pro game and creates a distinctive atmosphere. And yes, I am an old white guy, 67 laps around the sun, so the hip hop music doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't even seem like music, more like a series of chants and grunts with no melodic qualities in the artist's voices. I can sympathize with my old man who hated "that yeah-yeah" music I grew up on as a kid as it was so different from the big band and swing music that defined his generation. He used to say that it wasn't music, just a lot of noise. Life has come full circle.

But my disinterest in the NBA comes from more than just the music. It's a little too fast moving, almost like watching a hockey game. It's too dependent on 3 point shooting and beating the shot clock, traveling violations that are no longer called. It's not the same game I grew up playing. However, the biggest thing is the absence of a regional team. If they were to bring back the Sonics, I'd for sure try my best to rekindle my interest.

Last edited:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The evolution of the NBA is pretty similar to the NFL. Both are higher scoring, rule changes have helped the offense, and players are so much more talented now than back then.

I like the trends of both leagues. A lot of it is analytics. Better off shooting threes than twos. Better off passing and going for it on fourth and short.

MLB is the one sport I struggle with. The ball barely gets put into play. Guys strikeout so much it has become normal. It’s the one sport where defense (pitching) has completely dominated the offense (hitting). I still really enjoy baseball but it’s frustrating to see so little action in a game. The three most common outcomes now are strikeout, HR or walk. There is nothing more exciting than watching a guy go from second to home on a base hit. As of now, that isn’t happening too often. Once the Mariners get better that should help get some people in Seattle more interested.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Some of you guys have really warped perceptions of the NBA. Scoring dropped in the mid-90s and early 2000s because of BAD basketball, not due to good defense.

The Bad Boys Piston teams gave won NBA finals games with scores like 114 to 110 and 121 to 106.

Knicks Rockets 78 to 85 game 1 NBA finals, is due BAD BASKETBALL it's not some tough guy, hard defense no layup basketball.

The current NBA has a lot of new coaches and good young talent from a global supply line. The sport is looking up.