Sonics return

James in PA

Reaction score
I only watch current NBA because my son is a big 76ers fan. But I agree that its not nearly as good as back in the good ole days (pre 2000's). All these friggin uncontested 3 pointers and 120-130 point games is lame. I'll continue to watch some of these playoffs though just to root against the Knicks. Man, do I hate that team and their obnoxious fans. They have been getting so much love from the refs too. It's pretty blatant. Like the NFL, it feels like their is some steering going on.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Basketball is now what we called shooting practice, no real skill on defense, coaching and set ups of offense, it's like a pick up game on any court in the country with lazy people shooting threes. Everyone a Fred Brown, Give me Gus Williams, Slick Watts, Gary Payton, Dennis Johnson.
Yup. Dunk on some guy and pound your chest like a hero - despite the fact you are down by 20. I can't stand it any longer.

bigcc

Reaction score
God bless the mavericks to make every okc fan weep

Bitter? Maybe, but I will always wish them the worst most painful losses.

Luka magic chumps

Torc

Reaction score
Too late. Not only the the NBA give Seattle fans a big middle finger, but the game itself has changed. They've totally lost me as a potential customer.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sonics to me have moved on, they have their place in Seattle history, but it's now in Oklahoma.. New team for me means a new name, a new identity. Is this off the subject and has it been discussed already?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Not me. I like the history. It was years in the making and fond memories.

I think it was BS that Oklahoma got to steal that history and count it as theirs. Doesn't even make sense to me.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Too late. Not only the the NBA give Seattle fans a big middle finger, but the game itself has changed. They've totally lost me as a potential customer.
Me, too, but it started a few years before the Sonics moved. Part of it is cultural. I'm 69 years old and not into the rap/hip-hop stuff, and that's all they seemed to play during timeouts, TV breaks, etc. The last NBA game I watched from tip off to final buzzer was when Michael Jordan and the Bulls beat John Stockton and the Jazz in the finals, whatever year that was.

If they bring the Sonics back, I'll probably give it a try, but it's been so long that I don't know if I'll ever be able to regain that interest I once had.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Not me. I like the history. It was years in the making and fond memories.

I think it was BS that Oklahoma got to steal that history and count it as theirs. Doesn't even make sense to me.
The trophy is still in Seattle somewhere and that's all you have left of the Sonics.
The NBA can move to China and I mean all of it.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It'll be at least 7 years before we get a team. The deal expires after 2025, a new one will be in place in 2026, and then they'll lay out a 5 year plan. That's if we are lucky.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I heard IF the Sonics return, they get to retain their brand/logo/colors/history. Is this inaccurate? If so, F that.

It would be like if the Seahawks left town, same deal, became some new team entirely and then came back years later as the Seattle Sockeyes or something. NOPE.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yeah you'll get your Sonics redux without the old records that the Thunder took.
So that means everything is from scratch with the generic Sonics name.
If I wanted the NBA, I'd want a totally new name.
It's funny though because no name is going to top the women's not even the Sonics.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Sonics will get to keep their history if they come back.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Sonics will get to keep their history if they come back.
That wasn't the deal when they moved, look it up.
You got the trophy and a bunch of ex NBA fans while
the Thunder use the Sonics records as their own.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
But if Seattle gets a team back, they are allowed to call it the Sonics. The Thunder will transfer the history back to them. There was some talk about a 5 year expiration on that (expiring in 2013), but then some people on Reddit were posting screenshots of legal docs that show the same thing but without an expiration. Granted, that's just reddit users, so who knows?

It seems like for the past 10 years all I've read everywhere is that OKC has the history now, but if the Sonics come back as an expansion team they will regain their history. Were that many journalists and online fans wrong? Id believe it lol.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
But if Seattle gets a team back, they are allowed to call it the Sonics. The Thunder will transfer the history back to them. There was some talk about a 5 year expiration on that (expiring in 2013), but then some people on Reddit were posting screenshots of legal docs that show the same thing but without an expiration. Granted, that's just reddit users, so who knows?

It seems like for the past 10 years all I've read everywhere is that OKC has the history now, but if the Sonics come back as an expansion team they will regain their history. Were that many journalists and online fans wrong? Id believe it lol.
The Thunder did not want the name but it's the franchise and records.
A new franchise can have the Sonics name but unless the Thunder release
the records to the new franchise,I don't see it happening.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
That's how it worked with the Browns. Why would OKC even want history that isn't theirs?