Something you never thought about

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ux05fl5s said:
No because the blueprint that Pete pioneered works. You don't need him to run it.

It is counterintuitive. But if you follow it, you have a team full of pro-bowlers within 3-5 years.

Even if Wilson leaves, that is true.

The problem is that Pete no longer follows his blueprint. In fact, he cannot.

Whether it is worth losing Wilson to jettison Pete? That is a hard one. Probably. But the whole point of getting rid of Pete is to see what another coach can do with Wilson. Pete is not a good coach, so just with Wilson - you should see some improvement.

What I can say for sure, is that if you keep Pete AND get rid of Wilson that is the worst possible outcome. We would literally be better with any other coach in the NFL, no hyperbole. Because Pete will not only lose, but mortgage your future on failed bets - delaying your recovery.
My question would be what does improvement look like in that scenario, keeping Russ with a new coach? I would think it would have to be at a minimum, 10-12 wins and winning at least 1 playoff game every season. That's objectively better than what we've been since 2014. That would be the cut-off. As long as people stuck to that expectation and evaluated the coaches accordingly, I'd have no problem with it. I do suspect that a lot of people will start moving the goalposts when we don't live up to that standard on the field. I don't think that standard is easily met no matter who is coaching even if Russell is here.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
GemCity":8khdh8og said:
Few things first. Pete has been successful here. Personally, I like his energy and positive attitude.

But, it’s time.

I would think that management would consult with Russell Wilson first. I don’t think of this as much as “letting him run things”, “picking the coach”, or anything of that nature. But, we all know who has been the most important piece to the Hawks success and his name is not Pete Carroll. This old school mentality of suppressing player input or going off the deep end when RWs agent mentions teams that Russ would be willing to go to is very dated. People act like including RW on decisions is letting a player have “too much power”. Is this like Jordan in the Last Dance? Maybe like Manning? How about Aaron Rodgers? And how do you know it wouldn’t be the right move anyways?

I believe in Russ far more than I do Pete. He’s earned his say…regardless of what anyone here thinks.

The backlash is crazy… he mentions getting sacked too much (yes, some are his fault but look at your game manager savior Geno and what he coughed up against the Saints)…and received a cold response. And we then drafted Eskridge instead of a center. Unfuxkingreal.

Hypothetical post of course. I understand. But after putting the Hawks on notice this last off-season, I know Russ can’t wait to move on from Pete. He’s just too professional to come out and embarrass Pete and/or John like that.

Pete’s gone.
Now we're comparing Russell to Jordan?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
xray":hy44lz3m said:
WTF...if they all left we would have practically a new team to build and--advance--and succeed in a few seasons . That's what is fun . New could be refreshing . example...the Jags and their fans are having a blast this season .
That's where I'm at. Either ride it out as is a couple more years or flush it all. I don't want any remnants of the old Hawks when we move on

Elemas

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3z1dae5u said:
GemCity":3z1dae5u said:
Few things first. Pete has been successful here. Personally, I like his energy and positive attitude.

But, it’s time.

I would think that management would consult with Russell Wilson first. I don’t think of this as much as “letting him run things”, “picking the coach”, or anything of that nature. But, we all know who has been the most important piece to the Hawks success and his name is not Pete Carroll. This old school mentality of suppressing player input or going off the deep end when RWs agent mentions teams that Russ would be willing to go to is very dated. People act like including RW on decisions is letting a player have “too much power”. Is this like Jordan in the Last Dance? Maybe like Manning? How about Aaron Rodgers? And how do you know it wouldn’t be the right move anyways?

I believe in Russ far more than I do Pete. He’s earned his say…regardless of what anyone here thinks.

The backlash is crazy… he mentions getting sacked too much (yes, some are his fault but look at your game manager savior Geno and what he coughed up against the Saints)…and received a cold response. And we then drafted Eskridge instead of a center. Unfuxkingreal.

Hypothetical post of course. I understand. But after putting the Hawks on notice this last off-season, I know Russ can’t wait to move on from Pete. He’s just too professional to come out and embarrass Pete and/or John like that.

Pete’s gone.

Not exactly. If you read that as I think Russ is a GOAT, I don’t know what to tell you. I could’ve picked lesser know athletes but, that’s not the goal here.
To reiterate, it’s not uncommon for players to voice their opinions. Russ hasn’t really vocalized all the negative things he could. When he mentioned his desire to not get hit as much, some fans (and apparently staff) got salty.

That’s a problem.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
LTH":2ut88uy3 said:
Jerhawk":2ut88uy3 said:
I would hope the powers that be would consult Wilson during the coaching search.

So basically what you are saying is your going to let Wilson pick the coach?

LTH

No. I'm saying that I would hope they would consult Wilson on who he would like to play for.

Consult:
seek information or advice from (someone with expertise in a particular area).

I don't know why you're putting words in my mouth. I thought we were cool.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
GemCity":3n9320cq said:
OrangeGravy":3n9320cq said:
GemCity":3n9320cq said:

But, it’s time.

Pete’s gone.

Not exactly. If you read that as I think Russ is a GOAT, I don’t know what to tell you. I could’ve picked lesser know athletes but, that’s not the goal here.
To reiterate, it’s not uncommon for players to voice their opinions. Russ hasn’t really vocalized all the negative things he could. When he mentioned his desire to not get hit as much, some fans (and apparently staff) got salty.

That’s a problem.
The problem isn't that he feels that way or even expresses it. It's how you go about doing it. Absolutely nothing productive can come from his off-season campaign. All its gonna do is destabilize the team and if you want Pete gone that bad, just go to ownership and give them an ultimatum. The backdoor PR campaign is chicken shit. It makes him look as bad as Rodgers

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1pq5nkrs said:
I am almost certain that Wilson will want to leave.

Nothing would cement his greatness like being great in TWO cities. It would erase all the playoff failures because he could pin that on being stuck in Pete's system.

BUT

We almost have no other choice.

There is no upside with Pete. There is no future but losing.

Yes, Pete built the blueprint for creating a great team out of nothing, but he stopped following his own blueprint years ago.

The only option is to give Wilson everything he wants and HOPE it is enough. It might not be.

But it might be enough for long enough to unravel the mess that Pete has created, and get us over the hump to get us a good coach and maybe let JS or another GM finally fix things.

Because without a great QB, you are NOT attracting a good coach. And if you lose JS, forget about getting a great GM opportunity with a decimated roster AND no QB.

The only option is to bet on Wilson. Because betting on Pete is betting on an aging washed-up coach that has nothing left of worth to contribute and likely only accomplished as much as he did because of Wilson.

Not true, who was here when Pete came in, Hass who was not wanted and traded.

Who was here when Holmgren came in, Kitna, he brought in Hass.

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3j6u9tco said:
GemCity":3j6u9tco said:
OrangeGravy":3j6u9tco said:
GemCity":3j6u9tco said:

But, it’s time.

Pete’s gone.

That’s a problem.
The problem isn't that he feels that way or even expresses it. It's how you go about doing it. Absolutely nothing productive can come from his off-season campaign. All its gonna do is destabilize the team and if you want Pete gone that bad, just go to ownership and give them an ultimatum. The backdoor PR campaign is chicken $h!t. It makes him look as bad as Rodgers

If like like this last off season they blow him off, kick him out of the meeting etc, then that only leaves one recourse. Perhaps if instead of laughing at hi. And kicking out of tithe meeting had they listened non of this would be happening

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":ir55n2lv said:
TwistedHusky":ir55n2lv said:

Nothing would cement his greatness like being great in TWO cities. It would erase all the playoff failures because he could pin that on being stuck in Pete's system.

BUT

Yes, Pete built the blueprint for creating a great team out of nothing, but he stopped following his own blueprint years ago.

The only option is to give Wilson everything he wants and HOPE it is enough. It might not be.

But it might be enough for long enough to unravel the mess that Pete has created, and get us over the hump to get us a good coach and maybe let JS or another GM finally fix things.

Because without a great QB, you are NOT attracting a good coach. And if you lose JS, forget about getting a great GM opportunity with a decimated roster AND no QB.

The only option is to bet on Wilson. Because betting on Pete is betting on an aging washed-up coach that has nothing left of worth to contribute and likely only accomplished as much as he did because of Wilson.

The difference the organization at that time dis not jettison a top qb..neither Hass nor Kitna are top qbs. Huge difference.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Russ is under contract for 2 more years. He can't just leave. Clearly Russ wants more freedom and to work under an offensive minded coach. His list of teams he was willing to go to showed this. So if Carrol was to walk away I'm quite sure he would be willing to play with a new coach that is offensive minded.
I highly doubt current ownership would ever fire Pete. It will be up to him if he wants to retire.

hawker84

Reaction score
LTH":2mdfyvhv said:
What makes you so sure that Russell Wilson would want to stay in Seattle if the Hawks fired Pete Carroll?

I would just laugh hard if they fired Pete and Russell bailed... you lose a whole organization, GM, franchise QB... from the way everybody talks it feels like you think Russell doesn't like Pete?

LTH

Your post are hilarious. Thank you for the daily chuckles.

To answer your question, if that happens, so be it. Rebuilds suck. But that doesn't change the fact that Pete has been a joke for the last 5,6,7 years and is getting worse. I know, I know, but look at all the division banners. Yawn.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Jerhawk":11q7igzg said:
LTH":11q7igzg said:
Jerhawk":11q7igzg said:
I would hope the powers that be would consult Wilson during the coaching search.

So basically what you are saying is your going to let Wilson pick the coach?

LTH

No. I'm saying that I would hope they would consult Wilson on who he would like to play for.

Consult:
seek information or advice from (someone with expertise in a particular area).

I don't know why you're putting words in my mouth. I thought we were cool.

We are cool I was just trying to understand what you were saying

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":32u9sg7k said:

BUT

Wilson could stay in Seattle and accomplish that with a new coach--winning in 2 different systems.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":35rlumfl said:
chris98251":35rlumfl said:
TwistedHusky":35rlumfl said:

BUT

The difference the organization at that time dis not jettison a top qb..neither Hass nor Kitna are top qbs. Huge difference.

Hass went to a Super Bowl, QB in the league as a starter how long, Pro Bowl, he was not hot garbage like you are inferring. Kitna well he was never going to succeed here and then became a bouncing back up since Holmgren had his eyes on Hass as soon as he took the Seattle Job. Hass's records which he held most here in Seattle are just being passed by Wilson after being in the league almost ten years. Is Wilson in the Ring of Honor here? No well that says something about Hass now doesn't it. Wilson should be there at some point, but you sure don't see Kitna, Gelbaugh, Stouffer, Freize, Tjack, or anyone of that level of play there now do you.

Fade

Reaction score
The plan is simple, do the best you can to win with Wilson over the next 2 seasons. Bringing in an offensive head coach, a new DC, and $60M in cap space upcoming to rebuild in the trenches with.

His contract will then expire, along with his no trade clause. Franchise Tag and trade him for maximum value to the highest bidder, if they are not close to competing for a championship at that point.

If the team feels like contenders, but Wilson refuses to sign long term, play him under the tag for one year, and franchise him again the next off-season, and definitely trade him at that point.

The Seahawks have the control and leverage here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":1q81cws4 said:
The plan is simple, do the best you can to win with Wilson over the next 2 seasons. Bringing in an offensive head coach, a new DC, and $60M in cap space upcoming to rebuild in the trenches with.

His contract will then expire, along with his no trade clause. Franchise Tag and trade him for maximum value to the highest bidder, if they are not close to competing for a championship at that point.

If the team feels like contenders, but Wilson refuses to sign long term, play him under the tag for one year, and franchise him again the next off-season, and definitely trade him at that point.

The Seahawks have the control and leverage here.
This.