Some good things about this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

kearly

Reaction score
While you never want to lose a SB, there is something to be gained from being part of one of the best SBs of all time. Even though Seattle lost, this game will most likely help their legacy.

I like Jermaine Kearse. When he had that deep drop early in the 4th, I worried that he'd be the whipping boy after a brutal last minute loss. Instead he makes probably the 2nd most amazing catch in SB history, and sets up probably the most dramatic goal to go series in SB history.

Seeing 50 million FIRE BEVELL threads, I'm not gonna lie, that was a silver lining for me. That really was the worst play call in NFL history. I don't think Bevell gets fired, but he will never wash off that stink. Seahawks fans over the age of 10 will talk about that play the rest of their lives.

I Wouldn't be surprised if Carroll or Wilson owns up for that play after the game to protect their OC, but I won't believe them. That was classic Bevell, getting cute when the situation screams run the ball. That's not to say you should never pass in those situations, Seattle scored a TD on a situation like that earlier in the game. But in that situation, you have to run. It was the equivalent of having a clear lane to the basket down by one point, and kicking the ball out to the 3-point line instead because you think they won't expect it. Just insanely dumb.

I am stunned that a rookie safety sniffed that play out like he did. So the playcall was definitely unlucky. But really, no matter how you look at it, it was still terrible.

It was a nice coming out party for Matthews, but what this game really said was how amazing our offense could be with a Vincent Jackson type. The draft is coming up, there are some options in other areas to acquire a big WR. I was actually very encouraged by Wilson's potential in this game, they just need to get him a power forward to pass to.

The Hawks are still the best youngish team in the NFL by a wide margin, and I think the lessons learned from this game could perhaps benefit them in the next draft when looking at late round corners. We don't really have the kind of corners to stop super quick WRs.

Maybe it will hit me tomorrow, but this loss didn't hurt much. Maybe the best way to lose a game is to go from near certain victory to certain defeat instantly, sort of the fandom equivalent of a quick death. All I know is, the Seahawks just participated in a historically good SB, and that's pretty damn cool. It sucks knowing that we were robbed of legendary status with a bonehead playcall and an amazing defensive play, but this was still the 2nd best season our franchise has ever had, and for the most part, it was a fun ride.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yup. We cant really say what we saw wasn't Bevell, it was the pure definition of Bevell. It's what I bitched about beginning week one in the GB game. That's who Bevell is. Trying to outthink opponents by utilizing the weakest part of the offense.

He also whiffed 3 drives in the SB. THIS IS WHO HE IS.

As the injuries increased the margin for error decreased. It exposed the one mediocre coordinator on a staff of great ones.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm with you man. This loss didn't hurt that much, we played a great a game. I think injuries played a huge part in the loss and it's hard to get to upset over things that are out of your control.

randomation

Reaction score
If Bevell doesn't get fired Beast retires it calling it now. He has to get fired today.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Chris Mathews stepped up. Glad we have our tall WR. He was in line for MVP along with Beast.

Smokiam12

Reaction score
The overtime loss in Green Bay hurt me way worse than this one. I don't know why, but I just feel nothing but pride for the Seattle Seahawks. I agree a big reliable target at receiver would help this team a lot.

MexHawk

Reaction score
It was a good game. IMO we lost it when we get conservative after our last TD. We almost came back. We will be back there next year, I'm sure. Go Hawks!

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":e4726eyu said:
While you never want to lose a SB, there is something to be gained from being part of one of the best SBs of all time. Even though Seattle lost, this game will most likely help their legacy.

I like Jermaine Kearse. When he had that deep drop early in the 4th, I worried that he'd be the whipping boy after a brutal last minute loss. Instead he makes probably the 2nd most amazing catch in SB history, and sets up probably the most dramatic goal to go series in SB history.

Seeing 50 million FIRE BEVELL threads, I'm not gonna lie, that was a silver lining for me. That really was the worst play call in NFL history. I don't think Bevell gets fired, but he will never wash off that stink. Seahawks fans over the age of 10 will talk about that play the rest of their lives.

I Wouldn't be surprised if Carroll or Wilson owns up for that play after the game to protect their OC, but I won't believe them. That was classic Bevell, getting cute when the situation screams run the ball. That's not to say you should never pass in those situations, Seattle scored a TD on a situation like that earlier in the game. But in that situation, you have to run. It was the equivalent of having a clear lane to the basket down by one point, and kicking the ball out to the 3-point line instead because you think they won't expect it. Just insanely dumb.

I am stunned that a rookie safety sniffed that play out like he did. So the playcall was definitely unlucky. But really, no matter how you look at it, it was still terrible.

It was a nice coming out party for Matthews, but what this game really said was how amazing our offense could be with a Vincent Jackson type. The draft is coming up, there are some options in other areas to acquire a big WR. I was actually very encouraged by Wilson's potential in this game, they just need to get him a power forward to pass to.

The Hawks are still the best youngish team in the NFL by a wide margin, and I think the lessons learned from this game could perhaps benefit them in the next draft when looking at late round corners. We don't really have the kind of corners to stop super quick WRs.

Maybe it will hit me tomorrow, but this loss didn't hurt much. Maybe the best way to lose a game is to go from near certain victory to certain defeat instantly, sort of the fandom equivalent of a quick death. All I know is, the Seahawks just participated in a historically good SB, and that's pretty damn cool. It sucks knowing that we were robbed of legendary status with a bonehead playcall and an amazing defensive play, but this was still the 2nd best season our franchise has ever had, and for the most part, it was a fun ride.

Perhaps so, but not today.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Great post Kearly. I'm going to say this one hurts. It hurts ALOT. A really bad way to lose that game and I'm concerned about how this team will rebound. But more than anything, I hope it galvanizes us to retool our offense some this offseason. When Seattle lost the Atlanta, Pete aggressively attacked the problem, lets hope he does the same thing now. Get some offensive firepower for Wilson outside of Lynch.

Looking forward to the offseason and happy to be following this team. Might take a break from sports media though for a couple days, or weeks.

Rat

Reaction score
Another good thing: Rodgers in Week 1 and Brady in the SB threw at Richard Sherman a combined ONE time. How damn studly does a player have to be to get THAT kind of respect?

randomation

Reaction score
The Great Hawktini":376j8jls said:
With all the injuries we had we still should of won, but damn I feel for Kevin Williams!

Seriously sucks :( why the hell couldn't Bevell just run the ball ffs.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I generally respect your opinion, Kearly, but this is a destiny altering loss. In one play we went from a God-Ordained Dynasty, anointed by numerous Lazarus-esque miracle plays, to a team that may have lost trust in their coaches.

Imagine working your ass off all season, being "All In", playing though injuries, leaving it all on the field, on the cusp of a second title, the endorsement deals, the playoff bonus cash, the Rings, the parades, the victory sex - only to have it all stolen from you by one of the dumbest play calls in the history of Sport. This is an existential, soul-crushing loss penned by Kafka and performed by that moronic rodent, Darrell Bevell.

I don't think the players recover. At least many of those in this group will be permanently scarred. We may make the playoffs in 2015, but I doubt we go far. Our Dynasty is derailed.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3fzxy7qa said:
I generally respect your opinion, Kearly, but this is a destiny altering loss. In one play we went from a God-Ordained Dynasty, anointed by numerous Lazarus-esque miracle plays, to a team that may have lost trust in their coaches.

It could fracture the team if they are not truely brothers. IF they are they could come back stronger. But their trust in that playcaller may never be regained.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kearly":3i7i29hi said:

I'd like to say a word about these two points.
An undrafted rookie corner read that play. Think about that... even without the specific circumstances that is amazing. After the game Revis said they saw that personnel group on film and new what was coming and Browner Jammed Kearse so he couldn't set the pick.
Our offense was more surprised we were running this play than the patriots were! This should tell you all you need to know about why our passing offense struggles!

It was a coming out party for Mathews. Why didn't we use him earlier in the season and why did we get away from him in this game?

Tical21

Reaction score
Too funny, I couldn't say a word for about 30 minutes after the game ended. Me and my wife were halfway home and I felt I finally had to say something so she didn't think I was too much of a weirdo, and I basically said word for word what you said in your 3rd and 4th paragraphs. Worst call in NFL history. If we win two more Super Bowls in the next 50 years, we're forever going to say "it should have been three" and so on. Also knew Carroll would take the blame. Didn't see Bevell throwing Lockette under the bus.

I do think it gets Bevell fired. You know Pete wanted to run there. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already told him that he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.