Sick of the pink...

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Yes, I'm an a-hole. I get that the pink accents on NFL uniforms is meant to "raise awareness" of breast cancer and to help raise funds to fight it. That's fine, although a manly sport like football focusing on breast cancer seems like a marketing ploy to get more females watching. Why not prostate or testicular cancer to "raise awareness" among your dominant demographic?

But whatever the NFL's true intent, I find the pink ugly and distracting and out of place in football. I dread this month every year. Do we really need Richard Simmons satin shorts hanging off of shoulder pads to remind us that we need to test for breast cancer? Aren't there several other ways that we can effectively communicate this message via PSAs before, during, and after games without emasculating tough guys like Brandon Browner?

Furthermore why is this particular cause celebre more important than Brandon Marshall's stance against mental illness? The NFL fines Marshall for altering his uniform to "raise awareness" for that malady yet demands all NFL players alter their uniforms to support its favored cause. Hypocrisy.

I hope this goes away soon, but it's probably politically entrenched now...

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":22xgc3ez said:
Yes, I'm an a-hole. I get that the pink accents on NFL uniforms is meant to "raise awareness" of breast cancer and to help raise funds to fight it. That's fine, although a manly sport like football focusing on breast cancer seems like a marketing ploy to get more females watching. Why not prostate or testicular cancer to "raise awareness" among your dominant demographic?

But whatever the NFL's true intent, I find the pink ugly and distracting and out of place in football. I dread this month every year. Do we really need Richard Simmons satin shorts hanging off of shoulder pads to remind us that we need to test for breast cancer? Aren't there several other ways that we can effectively communicate this message via PSAs before, during, and after games without emasculating tough guys like Brandon Browner?

Furthermore why is this particular cause celebre more important than Brandon Marshall's stance against mental illness? The NFL fines Marshall for altering his uniform to "raise awareness" for that malady yet demands all NFL players alter their uniforms to support its favored cause. Hypocrisy.

I agree. It doesn't belong in an NFL game.

The marketing of the NFL is nauseatingly transparent:

Sept--Hispanic month (demographic that doesn't follow the NFL as much as most)
Oct -- breast cancer pink (ditto)

Bring on November!

Greenhell

Reaction score
I think the "pink" that the NFL has players wear has run it's course. If we're not aware of breast cancer by now, we'll never be.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It's a campaign to get people to click on breast cancer awareness gear in the NFL pro shop under the assumption that proceeds go to breast cancer research (which they won't).

Also, and this might get me crucified, but we need to move from breast cancer to other cancers as a society. Breast (and prostrate) cancer dominate charitable giving whereas other, deadlier cancers, are ignored. I once did a charity giveaway to raise money for liver/pancreatic/lung cancers and it pulled about 1000 dollars. A similar one for breast cancer pulled 8x that.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2arfwcy7 said:

It's a campaign to get people to click on breast cancer awareness gear in the NFL pro shop under the assumption that proceeds go to breast cancer research (which they won't).

Also, and this might get me crucified, but we need to move from breast cancer to other cancers as a society. Breast (and prostrate) cancer dominate charitable giving whereas other, deadlier cancers, are ignored. I once did a charity giveaway to raise money for liver/pancreatic/lung cancers and it pulled about 1000 dollars. A similar one for breast cancer pulled 8x that.

I agree. Every year should be an awareness campaign on another type of cancer.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I'd be fun with a cancer awareness month if they rotated between different diseases each year.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Yes, I'm an a-hole. i get that the children media on NFL is meant to "raise Awareness" of sick and dying cancers and to help them to fight it. That's fine, although a manly sport like football focusing on sick kids seems like a marketing ploy to get more wussies watching. Why not prostate or testicular cancer to "raise Awareness" among your dominant demographic?

But whatever the NFL's true intent, I find the uglyness of children and they are distracting and out of place in football. I dread this Awareness very year. Do we really need Russel Wilson and his time to be hanging out with a sick kid name Kevin Lee? Aren't there any organizations like flag football or water-boy that can help them out without emasculating tough guys like Kam Chancelor?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It's marketing to women. Doesn't hurt anyone. If it's just the color the bugs you change your TV settings.

jkitsune

Reaction score
You guys know that October being breast cancer awareness month has nothing to do with the NFL, in the same way that 11/28 being Thanksgiving has nothing to do with the NFL, right? The NFL is just joining a well-established nationwide campaign. Also, breast cancer (and prostate cancer, and incidentally lung and bowel cancer) remain top causes of cancer-related deaths in the United States, FAR outweighing the much rarer pancreatic cancer. Hence the drive. You can't screen for pancreatic cancer, or lung cancer, but you can (and should) for breast cancer. Prostate cancer screening is much more controversial.

Hate it all you want, but I don't see the point.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The point is that breast cancer is not even the biggest killer at this point.

It is a money grab and a branding exercise, in an attempt to increase appeal to a female demographic. Let's not pretend there is anything altruistic here, it is a for profit exercise and I am betting that the % of money raised that actually goes to breast cancer research or treatment is abysmally low.

By the way, this funds cures for people with money to pay for the cures. I had a fiance who got cancer and HAD INSURANCE and you find out quickly just how cancer treatment resources are allocated. Needless to say, a treatable curable cancer doesn't help you if your insurance won't pay. I NEVER donate to any of these funds because I know that the research to develop a cure finds cures that then cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars - which means it isn't an option. And I was paying close to 10K-20K (depending on treatment) out of my pocket per month.

So yeah, BS. If you think this is about good intent go check on how Marshall got nailed for wearing green to highlight mental illness awareness, an issue that needs more visibility and that is directly applicable to football players that can develop issues that mirror mental illness because of repeated head injuries FROM PLAYING FOOTBALL.

Frankly, nobody needs to see pink football cleats to figure out they should be checking themselves for cancer at certain ages. It is a for profit venture pretending to be a charity action.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Besides the charity aspect.

My wife loves the pink. She loves all the pink merchandise, and whatever gets her more excited to come to games with me (and more importantly LET ME go to games and keep my season tickets rather than putting it into another meaningless home upgrade) I'm all for it.

Girls look good in pink, which include my wife, the sealgals, and of course random hotties wearing pink in the stadium. I'm all for it.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3a9d7zjo said:
It is a for profit venture pretending to be a charity action.

What isn't a profit venture pretending to be a charity/ethical action.

That was one of the first things I learned in Business Ethics 101. One of the main reasons to be ETHICAL was because it actually would increase your business or be better for it overall.

i.e. Lets say I own a chemical company. I can pay $1000 to dispose of the chemicals safely or a $100 to have some guy take my chemical waste and illegally dump it somewhere. I could theoretically save my business $900 going the unethical route.

However, if I dump the chemicals ethically, spend $100 to advertise that I do that. I could gain X% in market share because I'm the "ethical" company. I also avoid the potential fines if I get busted, as well as lost customers and market share if word gets out that I decided to pay some guy to dump my chemical waste illegaly. Overall, I make/save more money being "ethical".

The intent of a business is to make money. Anything "cool" or "good" that they do will always have a profit portion to it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2vtqrke2 said:

Who the hell cares about livers, pancreases, and lungs when BOOBS are endangered?! :shock: