Sick of the pink...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1d2b891m said:
Sarlacc83":1d2b891m said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It's a campaign to get people to click on breast cancer awareness gear in the NFL pro shop under the assumption that proceeds go to breast cancer research (which they won't).

Also, and this might get me crucified, but we need to move from breast cancer to other cancers as a society. Breast (and prostrate) cancer dominate charitable giving whereas other, deadlier cancers, are ignored. I once did a charity giveaway to raise money for liver/pancreatic/lung cancers and it pulled about 1000 dollars. A similar one for breast cancer pulled 8x that.

Who the hell cares about livers, pancreases, and lungs when BOOBS are endangered?! :shock:

Hmm, I see your point, sir.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3qo5rm57 said:
The point is that breast cancer is not even the biggest killer at this point.

It is a money grab and a branding exercise, in an attempt to increase appeal to a female demographic. Let's not pretend there is anything altruistic here, it is a for profit exercise and I am betting that the % of money raised that actually goes to breast cancer research or treatment is abysmally low.

By the way, this funds cures for people with money to pay for the cures. I had a fiance who got cancer and HAD INSURANCE and you find out quickly just how cancer treatment resources are allocated. Needless to say, a treatable curable cancer doesn't help you if your insurance won't pay. I NEVER donate to any of these funds because I know that the research to develop a cure finds cures that then cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars - which means it isn't an option. And I was paying close to 10K-20K (depending on treatment) out of my pocket per month.

So yeah, BS. If you think this is about good intent go check on how Marshall got nailed for wearing green to highlight mental illness awareness, an issue that needs more visibility and that is directly applicable to football players that can develop issues that mirror mental illness because of repeated head injuries FROM PLAYING FOOTBALL.

Frankly, nobody needs to see pink football cleats to figure out they should be checking themselves for cancer at certain ages. It is a for profit venture pretending to be a charity action.

Well said.

Here is a story that reveals the NFL's real agenda: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62332742/

If the NFL wants to primarily market to women and call it charity, so be it, just don't mess with the uniforms...

ZagHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":kst42yjm said:
Sarlacc83":kst42yjm said:

It's a campaign to get people to click on breast cancer awareness gear in the NFL pro shop under the assumption that proceeds go to breast cancer research (which they won't).

Also, and this might get me crucified, but we need to move from breast cancer to other cancers as a society. Breast (and prostrate) cancer dominate charitable giving whereas other, deadlier cancers, are ignored. I once did a charity giveaway to raise money for liver/pancreatic/lung cancers and it pulled about 1000 dollars. A similar one for breast cancer pulled 8x that.

Who the hell cares about livers, pancreases, and lungs when BOOBS are endangered?! :shock:

Sexy charities get more money, it's just the way it goes.

Go to the Woodland Zoo, they have an area where you can drop a quarter to save specific endangered wildlife species. Guess which animals always have their donation boxes filled...Tigers, Lions, Killer Whales. Guess which ones are practically empty...insert random ass bird or squirrel looking thing you've never heard of.

And those donations are just made by random people like you and me, not being picked by the Zoo itself.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If somebody isn't already aware that cancer exists, seeing pink stuff on a football game isn't going to help.

And then you have people like me who see the pink stuff and say to themselves "okay, i'm aware...now what? Is cancer magically melting away?"

Soppie

Reaction score
Did anybody else notice that there was no pink in last nights game? Maybe its only a two week thing now?

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I guess the NFL doesn't care about the early detection of breast cancer anymore.

#cancers gonna cancer.

Sturm

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":24g4mvjz said:

10/17/2013 - Sarlacc makes a negative post.

Cartire

Reaction score
Its entirely a marketing ploy. NFL isnt even the only one that does it. Almost every food item when you go to the store has a pink ribbon on its box. You can say that the intention is all well and good, but its bs. Its because during this month, companies can heavily predict an increase of sales and/or viewership if they support Breast Cancer Awareness. They give a small % (which is below the increased revenue) of that to a charity of their choosing.

Bottom line, if these companies didnt make money off of this "Charitable" event, they wouldnt take part in it. Its definitely not from the goodness of their heart.

And before everyone jumps on me. I lost my Aunt to Breast Cancer, but that doesnt change the fact that its one of the most curable forms of cancer.

Cartire

Reaction score
and also. Im getting tired of the "Crucial Catch" commercial with women saying they caught their cancer because the NFL's campaign. If that girl needed the NFL to remind her to check herself, then we need to reconsider how we educate people.