Shefter: Grubb the new OC

bigcc

Reaction score
BS - The UW lost it's number 1 and number 2 running backs before the season began.
This year 131st attempts (accidentally overrated it at 130), year before 118th

106th in rushing yards this year (whoops), 69th the year before

Those are the only two years with grubb to go off of.

He's a passing coach, there's literally nothing..... literally nothing, to suggest otherwise.

41st and 63rd in rushing attempts.

Rushing tds per game was pretty high though, and team yards/tds were about as good as it can possibly get.

I'm not slighting him, I just don't know where the incoming heavy run game is coming from because it's not reality.

keasley45

Reaction score
I for sure get the careful skepticism (pretty much every NFL fan gets their offseason hope crushed in the fall...) I don't know how these interviews go, but I'd have to think that Macdonald heavily vetted Grubb on why he thinks his offense (and associated tweaks) could be successful against an NFL defense, against his defense, etc.
I'm sure they vetted him, but I feel like they were picking from the best of who was left. And... I'm a little worried about JS potentially overcorrecting in an attempt to make this team the 'anti - Pete' Seahawks now. I love the Mcdonald hire for how it brings and aggressive, dictating terms to the D.
I also love the 'concept' of building an attacking offense. But they are putting the reigns of that offensr in the hands of a guy who has zero experience and could create a confidence problem among players if things dont hit the ground humming.

I dont buy the 2-3 year rebuild or acclimation idea. This offense is ready to go NOW. it needs o-line help and a competent playcaller. It doesn't need to waste the next 2 years relearning concepts under a rookie coach.
Similar feeling on D. There are a few more pieces to acquire here, but again, like the O, it's a unit that vastly underachieved.
But I feel better about the D because Mike has proven what he can do.

I keep people saying this but uw was a passing team.

They were 130th in rush attempts out of 133 teams, and 102nd in rushing yards.

People need to look beyond Dillon's numbers and get ready for reality.

And, it needs to run the damn ball well. Agree 100%.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm sure they vetted him, but I feel like they were picking from the best of who was left. And... I'm a little worried about JS potentially overcorrecting in an attempt to make this team the 'anti - Pete' Seahawks now. I love the Mcdonald hire for how it brings and aggressive, dictating terms to the D.
I also love the 'concept' of building an attacking offense. But they are putting the reigns of that offensr in the hands of a guy who has zero experience and could create a confidence problem among players if things dont hit the ground humming.

I dont buy the 2-3 year rebuild or acclimation idea. This offense is ready to go NOW. it needs o-line help and a competent playcaller. It doesn't need to waste the next 2 years relearning concepts under a rookie coach.
Similar feeling on D. There are a few more pieces to acquire here, but again, like the O, it's a unit that vastly underachieved.
But I feel better about the D because Mike has proven what he can do.

And, it needs to run the damn ball well. Agree 100%.
They would have had to relearn concepts regardless of who was brought in lol

It's literally an entirely new coaching staff on every level, it's not just a new coach, they're all essentially freshly drafted rookies in terms of familiarity with whatever scheme we run.

EDIT: defense will adjust much quicker, just how it works, but offense is going to have some growing pains.

I love the hire just to be clear, but I'm accepting the reality of the situation

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I keep people saying this but uw was a passing team.

They were 130th in rush attempts out of 133 teams, and 102nd in rushing yards.

People need to look beyond Dillon's numbers and get ready for reality.

Some of this though was because their personnel was so heavy slanted towards passing. You had an nfl arm, multiple nfl receivers and one of the best pass blocking lines in the country. I think almost anyone would’ve had similar splits with that group. When you get into thr weeds to tho if h he had some really good run concepts and at times when Penix was hurt they were very rush heavy. I think Grubb is capable of a run dominant attack of his personnel calls for it but time will tell

bigcc

Reaction score
Some of this though was because their personnel was so heavy slanted towards passing. You had an nfl arm, multiple nfl receivers and one of the best pass blocking lines in the country. I think almost anyone would’ve had similar splits with that group. When you get into thr weeds to tho if h he had some really good run concepts and at times when Penix was hurt they were very rush heavy. I think Grubb is capable of a run dominant attack of his personnel calls for it but time will tell
That's a very fair assessment, I agree with most of it.

I just have a hard time believing in a run dominant scheme with the skill at receiver.

I do think it'll be more slanted to the run than uw was, but at the heart of it, I really think it'll be pass dominant, for better or worse. (better than last year likely at least)

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score

It's literally an entirely new coaching staff on every level, it's not just a new coach, they're all essentially freshly drafted rookies in terms of familiarity with whatever scheme we run.

EDIT: defense will adjust much quicker, just how it works, but offense is going to have some growing pains.

I love the hire just to be clear, but I'm accepting the reality of the situation

But I also think your concern is valid. Grubb will have to prove he can do it for sure

bigcc

Reaction score
But I also think your concern is valid. Grubb will have to prove he can do it for sure
100 percent, and I really like the hire, I just think the idea that they're going to be a ground and pound wear teams down with the run kind of team is a bit unrealistic

knownone

Reaction score
Grubb's resume doesn't exactly inspire confidence. But the league has changed so much over the past decade that this hire might just be an indicator of where things are headed.

bigcc

Reaction score
Grubb's resume doesn't exactly inspire confidence. But the league has changed so much over the past decade that this hire might just be an indicator of where things are headed.
He took over the 115th ypg, 124th MOST turnovers per game offense into

2nd in ypg, 9th LEAST turnovers per game in one year

One year, what doesn't inspire confidence?

SABAN tried to poach grubb after that year, but I'm sure he didn't have any other options

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Richardson moved because of combine numbers.... Ratboy will be lucky to run a sub 4.8, and he's not cracking 4.75.

He's slower than each of the top 6,

Tier one: Caleb, jayden, maye
Tier 2: penix, Mccarthy, bo
Tier 3 - Pratt, rattler, travis

No specific order, ratboy can maybe creak into tier 2, but I'd be surprised if he even passes Pratt
I'm meaning I expect him to go in the second round latest the third round.

keasley45

Reaction score

Completely different 'concepts'. And they're learning from a teacher who hasn't taught them to professionals or tested those concepts to pros.

renofox

Reaction score
I thought they hired an experienced assistant HC?
Offensive, as stated. Frazier's experience is DBs, DC, and HC. A similar hire on the offensive side would probably be quite helpful if the stated plan to hire a bunch of younger position coaches with no substantial NFL experience comes to fruition.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Have to think that this is an indication that they are interested in Michael Penix at 16. Might even consider trading up a few spots to make sure they get him.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Theres going to be a regression on defense too (not necessarily last year, but last 5 years average).

We're replacing a winning team (9-8 is winning as much as some of you disagree), and a longstanding coach with a 1st time HC, 1st time DC at any level, 1st time OC in nfl, and 1st time assistants.

We're also probably going to have worse personnel than last season due to the cap.

Of course it's going to be a step back with growing pains, this was going to happen regardless of who replaced carroll.

Can't wait to see the wailing though, half of the fan base started watching football after carroll started here, bunch of spoiled beats due for a reality check.

That being said I expect year two to be much more promising, and year 3 to be a breakout season (I'm basing this on average turnaround for successful new coaches, and cap room looking forward, not just a hunch)
one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. I guarantee the defense is better this year than last year.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
What? Grubbs offense was top 10 in the NCAA both years he was here. he's been unstoppable everywhere he's been.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. I guarantee the defense is better this year than last year.
Yeah, i have to imagine this team has a pretty significant focus on defense in the draft. It's been my biggest argument against drafting a QB.

You have to find safeties and linebackers immediately and you have to do it cap-friendly which is in the draft. This has to be our 2011 draft.

Latest posts