**** SF

Torc

Reaction score
The defense held the chiefs to 19 in regulation. That should be low enough for a good offense to win. I don't think you can put any blame on the defensive side of the ball there.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Niners have probably been the most talented team on both sides of the ball the last 3 years and still nothing to show for it. Next year look like it's their last shot at a title or at least before things get a lot tougher.
Things always close faster than expected, super bowl hangover is a thing, they've been making playoff runs and failing now for a few years, and they don't have a real qb, dun.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
He’s won lots of big games including two weeks ago. Loss sucks but Shanahan was not the problem. Just a better chiefs team

(Boldface and color emphasis is mine)

The 49ers' roster looks clearly superior to the Chiefs'.

The way I saw it before the game, the Chiefs were better at special teams, QB (tho' Purdy has been really good) and probably CB, while the 49ers were better at OL, DL, linebacker, safety, RB, WR, and despite all the mediot hype about Kelce, TE.

As a Seahawks fan, I'm hoping the 49ers will give Shanahan a huge contract extension to keep his do-less-with-more leadership (and three-sizes-too-big-for-him hat) in place for as long as possible.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
What’s your thoughts on him at this stage? I think he’s a potential Franchise QB and a hell of a system QB and dare I say the hated term, great game manager? Personally I don’t see that phrase as the insult many do for the record.
Great qb, but not great enough. His lack of arm talent and accurate deep ball juice seemed apparent.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Great qb, but not great enough.
Not saying he is terriawful but let's see in a couple years when the lose a ton of their talent due to cap reasons. Regardless...the last pick of the draft.. gotta give the guy credit but I don't think he can be called great just yet...hes not a jag either though. He had a meh game in all 3 post season appearances imo. I have him as a good qb who fits their system.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Purdy at all. I still see a pedestrian quarterback, surrounded by lots of playmakers, and one of the best offensive minds in the game calling plays. He didn't suck last night, nor was he great. He will still have lots of doubters. Last night was a push.

GemCity

Reaction score
Man….I’ve got to admit, the Niners looked really good, at least on defense, when they came out.

Something about that loss had to sting a bit harder. Not just because it was the SB. It was one of those games where the score and stats didn’t really tell the story during the course of the game.

I actually feel bad for Niners fans…I won’t admit that again…ever. But, just being honest here…

Raifers

Reaction score
3rd and 4 ? The only thing I could fault him there is not running it with a plan to go for it on 4th down. But if your plan is to kick the fg and let your d take their chances with mahomes , then you have to throw it. Jennings was open but the blitz pressure was in purdys face. KC is the best blitzing team in the league
With how cmc was running it that drive? And with how gassed the defense looked? Yea they held him to a few short gains and they hadn’t done anything against the blitz all game. Yea he got open, doesn’t mean that’s the only play call that would have worked, and it didn’t. Thats why I don’t think Kyle can get it done.

See that thing about taking chances against Mahomes is what cost them in the previous Super Bowl. And this one. Look at how the chiefs managed the clock last year to seal it.

Heck, it seems some of your team players didn’t even know about the playoff overtime rules. If that’s true that’s on your coach.

Raifers

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Purdy at all. I still see a pedestrian quarterback, surrounded by lots of playmakers, and one of the best offensive minds in the game calling plays. He didn't suck last night, nor was he great. He will still have lots of doubters. Last night was a push.
My thoughts exactly. And yea Kc defense played great, but I’m sure it’s easier with a hobbled kittle and deebo. He looked a bit bewildered at times, but he is only 24.

xray

Reaction score
Oh look...the best QB & defense won another SB , just like 99.99% of the time . No mystery here .

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
It’s pretty simple. I think Kyle was in the booth in Atlanta ? Dan Quinn radio up to KS “ Kyle , I know you have an MVP at qb and feel the need to throw it, but as clock control is my ultimate responsibility as head coach , I’m going to ask you to hand it off more to Tevin Coleman so we can chew clock and get out of here with a win”
As someone who does not like the Pats I was so ticked at the passing play call on 2nd down, that caused a sack and started the process to take them out of FG range. Just run twice into the line, kick the 3 and that games is over. Nothing you can do if Bryant misses.

As someone who is critical of Carroll for the same conservatives stuff at times: no timeouts late in the first half to give his O another shot at scoring.
Did not go to McCaffery on the 2 most critical third downs in the game was on the line.

Shanahan might be the best offensive scheme and play designer in the league but his in-game decision making is sub-par. Thank goodness cause if he was the best at that it 's scary to think how good the Niners could be.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Fact is the sf offense had a chance to put this to bed early and they squandered it. Kc was playing like garbage on both sides of the ball and SF couldn't capitalize. Purdy missed several throws and it really did cost them after literally having all day to throw Kc was on the verge of implode. But they didn't do anything and we'll Mahomes did his Mahomes thing..again...

Marvin49

Reaction score
No question. This one hurts more than all the others combined.

I hate Mahomes with the passion of 1000 suns. LOL.

So many moments that could have turned it. CMC fumble. Blocked extra point. Muffled Punt. Nobody blocking Chris Jones with Aiyuk WIDE OPEN in the endzone.

Wasn't mean to be.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Greenlaw going out was a huge loss for the Niners and probably cost them the game.

bobsuncle

Reaction score
49'ers have maybe 2 more years at the top but they just can't win the big game when it matters. Purdy is a good QB but he's not elite at that level where he can carry a team. The better team won and I'm just happy the 49'ners choked it away (but they'll have more chances...too choke it away ;))

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think Greenlaw going out was a huge loss for the Niners and probably cost them the game.
Yes....but I can say that about several things.

If they don't muff the punt...they likely win. If CMC Doesn't fumble, they likely win (took at least 3 pts off the board).

No excuses. Point is just that there were several moments that contributed and they were too much to overcome.

...also....the Chiefs held like crazy that entire game. However....we all already knew that was gonna happen, we knew it wouldn't get called, so it can't be used as an excuse. It's factored in. So many moments you can point to.

Just wasn't meant to be.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yes....but I can say that about several things.

If they don't muff the punt...they likely win. If CMC Doesn't fumble, they likely win (took at least 3 pts off the board).

No excuses. Point is just that there were several moments that contributed and they were too much to overcome.

...also....the Chiefs held like crazy that entire game. However....we all already knew that was gonna happen, we knew it wouldn't get called, so it can't be used as an excuse. It's factored in. So many moments you can point to.

Just wasn't meant to be.
Are you really going to complain about holding? BOTH teams were getting away with it ALL GAME LONG.

Niners played an incredible game and should have won. But Shanahan peed down his leg, yet again. Also, two turnovers and the Niners didn't pounce. They abandoned the run, dumb. They didn't defer in OT, dumb. Also, Purdy missed TWO sure TD's on long passes. He wasn't horrible, but he looked average. Niners defense is next level, esp. that D Line.

Latest posts