**** SF

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I think that taking the ball in OT was a bigger mistake than some folks realize. You're basically making the entire Chiefs possession, a 4-down possession. Mahomes must have wet himself when that call was made after the coin flip.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Warner held Kelce pretty badly on that fade pattern at the end of regulation
No doubt. I honestly think that for once the refs did a hell of a job. Finally, we saw them just letting them play. I would much rather have that than the ticky tack crap that slows the game down and impacts it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think that taking the ball in OT was a bigger mistake than some folks realize. You're basically making the entire Chiefs possession, a 4-down possession. Mahomes must have wet himself when that call was made after the coin flip.
And there's something to be said about the fact that the Chiefs players knew the rules and the Niners players and coaches didn't seem to know it.
Shanahan has proven to NOT be very good in the biggest game.

94Smith

Reaction score
No doubt. I honestly think that for once the refs did a hell of a job. Finally, we saw them just letting them play. I would much rather have that than the ticky tack crap that slows the game down and impacts it.
I agree. It was a great game overall. I mean an overtime Super Bowl is pretty good entertainment

Lagartixa

Reaction score
...but still led all TEs in yards.

I think in this game he was kept in to block. ALOT.

Kittle also lapped the entire TE field in receiving DYAR and was the best in receiving DVOA among regular TEs.
Kittle's receiving DVOA (per-play efficiency measure, adjusted for situations and quality of defenses faced, expressed as how much better than an average player he was) was 38.5%. Baltimore's Isaiah Likely wasn't all that far behind at 37.7%, but that was on 40 targets, while Kittle had 90. No other TE with more than 20 targets had a receiving DVOA over 26.1%.
Kittle's receiving DYAR (measure of total on-field production, adjusted for quality of defenses faced, expressed as the additional yards he contributed beyond what a replacement-level player could have been expected to produce) was an otherworldly 266. The next-best in the NFL was Kelce at 156. No TE in the league other than Kelce managed even half of Kittle's receiving DYAR.

chris98251

Reaction score
Two Legacy teams, no upstarts like the Seahawks, Panthers, Saints, Buc's. They let them play.

bileever

Reaction score
Now I believe they will have salary cap issues...I think their window is close to closing
Unfortunately, our salary cap situation is worse than theirs. But I agree that the window is closing.

There may not be critical cap issues, but salary issues are looming. CMC has been a bargain so far, but his cap hit in 2024 and 25 is $14 million per year, in his age 28 and 29 seasons. Will it be worth it? He had a lot of wear and tear this year. Are they going to try to extend Aiyuk?

Then there are questions on defense. They still have Fred Warner and Nick Bosa, so they'll be good, but most likely, the defense won't be as good as it was this year. First, Dre Greenlaw tore his ACL and won't be ready by the start of the season. Second, are they going to be able to re-sign Chase Young? And will Steve Wilks return?

Finally, I think that losing the big game takes its toll. Doubts start to creep in, and desperation begins to take over. Before long, Lynch and Shanahan will think that they are only one player away and make bad decisions. At least I hope so.

94Smith

Reaction score
Unfortunately, our salary cap situation is worse than theirs. But I agree that the window is closing.

There may not be critical cap issues, but salary issues are looming. CMC has been a bargain so far, but his cap hit in 2024 and 25 is $14 million per year, in his age 28 and 29 seasons. Will it be worth it? He had a lot of wear and tear this year. Are they going to try to extend Aiyuk?

Then there are questions on defense. They still have Fred Warner and Nick Bosa, so they'll be good, but most likely, the defense won't be as good as it was this year. First, Dre Greenlaw tore his ACL and won't be ready by the start of the season. Second, are they going to be able to re-sign Chase Young? And will Steve Wilks return?

Finally, I think that losing the big game takes its toll. Doubts start to creep in, and desperation begins to take over. Before long, Lynch and Shanahan will think that they are only one player away and make bad decisions. At least I hope so.
Like I've said before , you guys have said this for 5 years and the only year it happened was 2020 due to unprecedented injuries. You guys said the same thing about the defense last year as well with the loss of Omenihu , Ebukam, DC Demeco Ryans, and starting slot corner Jimmie Ward. And they actually have draft picks this year!

bileever

Reaction score
Like I've said before , you guys have said this for 5 years and the only year it happened was 2020 due to unprecedented injuries. You guys said the same thing about the defense last year as well with the loss of Omenihu , Ebukam, DC Demeco Ryans, and starting slot corner Jimmie Ward. And they actually have draft picks this year!
A guy can dream, can't he?

Marvin49

Reaction score

Someday you will say this and it will be true. Hard to take it seriously tho considering what's happened.

BTW, Greenlaw tore his Achilles, not his ACL.

You can look at this a number of different ways RE "window closing".

There are certainly some guys you have to start looking at replacing. Trent. Kittle. Maybe even CMC tho he's only 27.

....but....

They have been drafting players to replace their starters. Ji'Ayer brown likely replaced Gipson next year. He just had an INT in the SB. Hufanga replaced Tartt and was an all-pro. Lenoir had a HUGE season at CB. Ward was All-Pro. They have been drafting young guys at LB and TE to be eventual replacements and they get 11 picks this year.

You just never really know. I'm old enough to remember the 49ers draft of 1986. Some thought they might "Age out" Without a 1st round pick, they took FB Tom Rathman, CB Tim McKyer, WR John Taylor, DE Charles Haley, OT Steve Wallace, DE Kevin Fagan, and CB Don Griffin.

Rebuilt a HUGE part of the team in a single draft.

Not saying they will certainly do that again. Just sayin strange things happen.

bileever

Reaction score
Someday you will say this and it will be true. Hard to take it seriously tho considering what's happened.

BTW, Greenlaw tore his Achilles, not his ACL.

You can look at this a number of different ways RE "window closing".

There are certainly some guys you have to start looking at replacing. Trent. Kittle. Maybe even CMC tho he's only 27.

....but....

They have been drafting players to replace their starters. Ji'Ayer brown likely replaced Gipson next year. He just had an INT in the SB. Hufanga replaced Tartt and was an all-pro. Lenoir had a HUGE season at CB. Ward was All-Pro. They have been drafting young guys at LB and TE to be eventual replacements and they get 11 picks this year.

You just never really know. I'm old enough to remember the 49ers draft of 1986. Some thought they might "Age out" Without a 1st round pick, they took FB Tom Rathman, CB Tim McKyer, WR John Taylor, DE Charles Haley, OT Steve Wallace, DE Kevin Fagan, and CB Don Griffin.

Rebuilt a HUGE part of the team in a single draft.

Not saying they will certainly do that again. Just sayin strange things happen.
I know that I've been predicting a 49er step-back for a couple of years. (I admit that I was very wrong about this year.) Part of that is based on the simple fact that it is difficult to put together excellent seasons year after year in the NFL. And a small wrinkle can cause large, unintended consequences. I think the 49ers' roster is still solid, and they have one of the best offensive minds in football, so the 49ers will likely go into next season as favorites to repeat as NFC champs. I'm just grasping at straws, looking for any sign of a decline, that's all. (@Weadoption, @94Smith, @Marvin49, you would do the same if the shoe were on the other foot.)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LIX favorites right now should be the Chiefs period. They are the new dynasty until they are not. They are becoming Brady's Patriots all over again. 9ers are still very good but anybody calling them the favorites to win LIX is just silly. You got to knock the back-to-back champs off first.

NJlargent

Reaction score

Barring injury, the niners will be the overwhelming favorite to come out of the NFC again next year. Unless the eagles fix their issue or green bay puts it together, no one is beating them unless the they beat themselves. I think it will be the same 4 teams in the conference championship games next year except Detroit perhaps. I think they drop a bit.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I know that I've been predicting a 49er step-back for a couple of years. (I admit that I was very wrong about this year.) Part of that is based on the simple fact that it is difficult to put together excellent seasons year after year in the NFL. And a small wrinkle can cause large, unintended consequences. I think the 49ers' roster is still solid, and they have one of the best offensive minds in football, so the 49ers will likely go into next season as favorites to repeat as NFC champs. I'm just grasping at straws, looking for any sign of a decline, that's all. (@Weadoption, @94Smith, @Marvin49, you would do the same if the shoe were on the other foot.)
LOL. I feel it.

I wasn't kidding tho. Eventually, you will be right. Just a matter of how long it will take, how successful they are at re-loading, and finding out if Brock Purdy is that guy. If the last one is a yes....then this can last a long time. If he's not...then who the hell knows.

What's funny to me tho RE Brock Purdy is the moving of the Goalposts. Its like "he's not even good", then "he's just Jimmy G", "OK, he's better than Jimmy", "to Yeah but he can't play from behind", to now "well he's not Patrick Mahomes".

Like...duh. I don't anyone has ever argued that. I don't think we know yet and won't for some time. QB are like that. Takes years for them to see all DCs in the league and to play through all of the looks they will ever see.

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Aiyuk is making noises about wanting to leave. Those post-SB loss rumblings are starting already. Get out your popcorn!

Its too raw for the players right now. As much as we care about our teams, they care more. Kids in his 20s and he's frustrated. Just needs time away to get his head right.

chris98251

Reaction score
LIX favorites right now should be the Chiefs period. They are the new dynasty until they are not. They are becoming Brady's Patriots all over again. 9ers are still very good but anybody calling them the favorites to win LIX is just silly. You got to knock the back-to-back champs off first.
They will have to deal with Reid leaving here soon, he said he will be back next year but after? Rumors were he was going to initially retire after the Bowl. The Dynasty window is as long as he wants to coach I think, not sure they have a guy in the wings there.

Marvin49

Reaction score
27 is about 65 in running-back years.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you....but I saw Frank Gore play for a LONG time and nobody keeps himself in shape as much as CMC.

Who knows...you could be right....but it ain't like the Shanahans haven't been able to find RBs.