Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle comes from behind to beat San Jose, Sporting KC beats LAFC, and Colorado beats FC Dallas. All that means Seattle finish #2 in the West and will skip the knockout round of the playoffs. And in more good news for Sounders fans, the Galaxy lose to Houston and will miss the playoffs.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1r146csd said:
Seattle comes from behind to beat San Jose, Sporting KC beats LAFC, and Colorado beats FC Dallas. All that means Seattle finish #2 in the West and will skip the knockout round of the playoffs. And in more good news for Sounders fans, the Galaxy lose to Houston and will miss the playoffs.

Yeah, I was bummed about the own goal, then we tied it and so did Colorado. I saw time ticking away and was lamenting missed opportunities. Then the boys played great ball around the box and scored the winning goal. Colorado adding the go ahead goal added relief.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I read last night that the Sounder's chance of even making the playoffs in June was 1.6%............and chance of getting the second seed was almost 0%.

This truly is one of the most remarkable sporting runs and achievements of my lifetime. Let's hope this crazy momentum carries into the playoffs so we can truly witness this special piece of soccer history with a trophy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Leicester? Dortmund's title? Barca's 43 game unbeaten?

Seattle's recovery has been solid though.

That said.. the Sounders seem to be the best team in the West and should be the favorites. Their poor start was duly overcome.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That was crazy that we got that last minute goal and results all went our way towards the last couple of minutes.

I think we really needed that bye. The team hasn't been rotated that much and has looked a bit tired, especially later in games.

Glad Galaxy didn't make the play offs. LA seem like a bit of a mess and I guess Zlatan is likely gone.

I think we can win the west...i'd prefer not to play KC away if possible and Portland as it is unpredictable. No one else worries me too much. This team seems to do well bunkering down away from home in the play offs though.

I really want NY and Atlanta out. If they go out and we win the west, I think we host?

Chapow

Reaction score
Uncle Si":31ku7cli said:

That said.. the Sounders seem to be the best team in the West and should be the favorites. Their poor start was duly overcome.

They were in last place with 12 points at the half way point of the season and had less than a 2% chance at even making the playoffs.

They then went 14-2-1 over the second half of the season, which is the best half season in MLS history, and finished in 2nd place with 59 points.

Someone saying that is one of the most remarkable runs they've seen seems pretty fair to me. Seems more fair than describing that run as "solid" IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":3on5yp9d said:
Uncle Si":3on5yp9d said:

They were in last place with 12 points at the half way point of the season and had less than a 2% chance at even making the playoffs.

They then went 14-2-1 over the second half of the season, which is the best half season in MLS history, and finished in 2nd place with 59 points.

Someone saying that is one of the most remarkable runs they've seen seems pretty fair to me. Seems more fair than describing that run as "solid" IMO.

Si's a closet Euro soccer snob, so he had to make sure we kept our fervent excitement in check, and to not get TOO excited over the Sounders run.............after all, it's just the MLS.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ruidiaz added the spark that turned the season around for the Sounders. They had struggled to score on consistent basis until they brought Raul into the fold. Time to make it 3 straight MLS Championship appearances.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2elc7bx0 said:
Chapow":2elc7bx0 said:
Uncle Si":2elc7bx0 said:

Si's a closet Euro soccer snob, so he had to make sure we kept our fervent excitement in check, and to not get TOO excited over the Sounders run.............after all, it's just the MLS.

Bottle the name calling. Your fragility is showing. I could run out streaks of all kinds of american sports teams too. Hell. I bet i go to more mls games than you do.

Im not a closet anything. Certainly understand that a team who lost the mls final last year turning around a poor start with all that talent and making the playoffs wasn't that a big of a surprise. Its a solid run from a dominant team. Solid. One of the best ever in sports?

Im surprised youre surprised. The parity in the MLS always left the door open for this recovery.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":15rpk9sf said:
Im not a closet anything. Certainly understand that a team who lost the mls final last year turning around a poor start with all that talent and making the playoffs wasn't that a big of a surprise. Its a solid run from a dominant team. Solid. One of the best ever in sports?.

Yes, what the Sounders just did was statistically one of the greatest sporting achievements of my lifetime.

You had to swoop in and take a dump on our excitement, and cite three Euro soccer achievements that really had nothing to do with what the Sounders just did........which is come from a 1% chance of even making the playoffs to snatching the 2nd seed, which statistically was less than 1% chance back in June.

Can we be excited again? Or are we now mired in a "what Si considers an acceptable best ever sporting achievement" discussion.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So your opinion is law and mine is disregarded as snobby or bitter. Point out that the team finally hit its potential and thats "taking a dump" How insecure.

Awesome Sarge. What a piece of work.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ra86fuze said:
So your opinion is law and mine is disregarded as snobby or bitter. Point out that the team finally hit its potential and thats "taking a dump" How insecure.

Awesome Sarge. What a piece of work.

Law? We were just excited about what an amazing run the Sounders just completed, and hopefully continue on into the playoffs.

You're the one who decided to be some sort of wet blanket voice of reason telling us to temper our excitement, and list impressive Euro soccer achievements like "well that's nice guys, but not the same as THESE!"

Both Chapow and I called you on it. Own it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Pointing out that they played to their potential as the dominant team is a "wet blanket" and makes me a euro snob?

No... its not some great run. Thats my opinion. Its a really good team playing at their level. I pointed out a variety of runs i thought were better, adding that it shouldn't be a surprise. They are a really good team and recovered.

Get a grip. Why dont you own your hylerbole before "calling me out" then?

I offered a different perspective. Deal with it without getting your feelings hurt

Uncle Si

Reaction score
[youtube]IRAnCc_FQC8[/youtube]

Walk off 55 yarder in OT

(Hours before a certain posters team would win their 2nd state title in 3 years)

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3cqd93t2 said:
Any word on the severity of the two sounder injuries today?
After the game Schmetzer said there was no ligament damage to Marshall's knee and Roldan had an issue with his hip. No word on their availability for the second leg.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well..............we got a road goal, that's about as much lipstick as I can put on that pig of a match.

Marshall's one of the toughest players in the league, so hopefully he can go, cause we desperately need him for the 2nd leg.

I've watched the Roldan VAR non call, and I go back and forth on it. Goalie didn't make contact with the ball, and did make contact with Roldan, so idk, seems like it should have been called.

Moral of the story, win 1-0 Thursday.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Could be better, could be worse. It wasn't 1-3 but that first half it could have been. Played a bit better 2nd half. We tend to do better against them in Seattle.

Losing Marshall and Roldan is a bit of a disaster though. I hope Smith is back and Shipp starts (if Roldan is out). Torres will have to do at cb.