Seattle Mariners vs Detroit Tigers Oct 3-5

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm so happy that they made it 90 games. Winning these last 3 should give them a confidence boost going to Toronto.

They've beaten up on Toronto, and the Tigers were playing well (Won 13 of 15) when they came here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll agree to disagree on Marco, he's extremely inconsistent.
As far as the M's go, they won 7 of the last 10. Nice way to roll in to the playoffs. I get that Toronto is a better team overall. But, I love our chances.

TIMD

Reaction score
Imagine this rotation if Paxton wouldn't have been hurt in the first damn game. Of course, maybe they don't go trade for Castillo.

Imagine this rotation if Paxton wouldn't have been hurt in the first damn game. Of course, maybe they don't go trade for Castillo.
Just imagine how good the M's staff would be this year if they didn't trade Randy Johnson away in 1998?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, that was LAST year. You made your point. I know you're upset the M's are in the playoffs. So, feel free to TRY and act like I don't know baseball. I do, a lot.
I just was thinking it was this year. Oh the horror. Don't you have some "Mariners Suck" posts to put out there?

TIMD

Reaction score
Fair enough, that was LAST year. You made your point. I know you're upset the M's are in the playoffs. So, feel free to TRY and act like I don't know baseball. I do, a lot.
I just was thinking it was this year. Oh the horror.
I'm not upset they made the playoffs guy. I'm NOT content with JUST backing into the FIFTH spot once every 21 years. I actually want to win a World Series.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They won 7 of the last 10. There was no "BACKING IN"
They weren't even CLOSE to missing the playoffs. They finished 4 GAMES OVER TAMPA BAY. And 7 over Baltimore. If any team "backed in" it was TB. M's get the 5 seed by 4 games, and they "backed in"

Maybe go whine somewhere else?

Last edited:

TIMD

Reaction score
They won 7 of the last 10. There was no "BACKING IN"
They weren't even CLOSE to missing the playoffs. They finished 4 GAMES OVER TAMPA BAY. And 7 over Baltimore. If any team "backed in" it was TB. M's get the 5 seed by 4 games, and they "backed in"

Maybe go whine somewhere else?
So in the the last 21 years that the M's have totally missed the post season, how many times has Tampa been in? How many WORLD SERIES have they been in? Tampa fairly consistently contends, SEATTLE doesn't. So when TB "backs in", they have some cool points to burn. Seattle doesn't. So I'll say it AGAIN..... I am not content with simply backing in to an EXPANDED post season field. I want to win the WS. If they don't even make it to the WS, it's a failure. Why? Because EVERY OTHER FRANCHISE other than the SEATTLE MARINERS has at least appeared in a World Series.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
So in the the last 21 years that the M's have totally missed the post season, how many times has Tampa been in? How many WORLD SERIES have they been in? Tampa fairly consistently contends, SEATTLE doesn't. So when TB "backs in", they have some cool points to burn. Seattle doesn't. So I'll say it AGAIN..... I am not content with simply backing in to an EXPANDED post season field. I want to win the WS. If they don't even make it to the WS, it's a failure. Why? Because EVERY OTHER FRANCHISE other than the SEATTLE MARINERS has at least appeared in a World Series.
Rome wasn't built in a day. It's that type of mindset that the previous FO used to buy up a bunch of brand name players and trade away our prospects to get over the hill "stars" to put butts in the seats, but no banners in the rafters.

I'm content that this team, built as it is, will be a contender for several years. Probably no series this season, but it's a baseline to improve on going forward. I guess I'm "not as good a fan as you are" because I think that way, but it is what it is. We have a solid team and a pretty good farm system going now and I look forward to the next few seasons, even as I enjoy their current level of success.

I know you won't pay attention to this post because I didn't use enough caps locked words to emphasize things, but I'm not much of a screamer in my dotage. ;)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Can someone make a WC Series Thread? There are topics to be discussed. Sutz? Only feels right that you make it!

TIMD

Reaction score
Rome wasn't built in a day. It's that type of mindset that the previous FO used to buy up a bunch of brand name players and trade away our prospects to get over the hill "stars" to put butts in the seats, but no banners in the rafters.

I'm content that this team, built as it is, will be a contender for several years. Probably no series this season, but it's a baseline to improve on going forward. I guess I'm "not as good a fan as you are" because I think that way, but it is what it is. We have a solid team and a pretty good farm system going now and I look forward to the next few seasons, even as I enjoy their current level of success.

I know you won't pay attention to this post because I didn't use enough caps locked words to emphasize things, but I'm not much of a screamer in my dotage. ;)
What "brand name" players did the previous F/O acquire outside of the obviously washed up "don't you know, Robbie Cano"? None. The brilliant Jack Z kept bringing in over the hill guys or never have's. Nelson Cruz was brought in exactly one year too late, the M's could have used his league leading HR bat in that pathetic lineup that missed the post season by one game. "Rome wasn't built overnight".... The Seattle Mariners have existed now for how many years & made it to the World Series how many times? Colorado, Florida/Miami, TB & Toronto have made it far before Seattle. That's my point. People being happy with mediocrity in Seattle. Yankees & Red Sox fans aren't happy with simply making the W/C round once every 21 years. Sorry if I hurt your little feelings.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
What "brand name" players did the previous F/O acquire outside of the obviously washed up "don't you know, Robbie Cano"? None. The brilliant Jack Z kept bringing in over the hill guys or never have's. Nelson Cruz was brought in exactly one year too late, the M's could have used his league leading HR bat in that pathetic lineup that missed the post season by one game. "Rome wasn't built overnight".... The Seattle Mariners have existed now for how many years & made it to the World Series how many times? Colorado, Florida/Miami, TB & Toronto have made it far before Seattle. That's my point. People being happy with mediocrity in Seattle. Yankees & Red Sox fans aren't happy with simply making the W/C round once every 21 years. Sorry if I hurt your little feelings.
:LOL:

The "brilliant Jack Z?" :LOL: I watched him do the exact same thing in Anaheim for years before he came up to Seattle. Year after year, bringing in big name FAs, trading away prospects for over the hill "stars." Hell, our current FO did the same thing for a few years before saying, whoa! and doing their "step back" version of a rebuild. Now, we still have some top notch prospects in our farm system, we're in the ALDS and on a bit of a roll.

Again, :LOL: with your "we suck" BS. My "feels" are just fine because this team is in pretty good shape, and while we may not make the WS this year, we're in pretty good shape to contend again next year and for a couple of years thereafter. Your the one trying to scream how you're a better fan because you're "not satisfied" when things are genuinely looking up better than the team has looked in 10 years or more.

Chapow

Reaction score
I think being a die hard fan who is determined to be absolutely miserable about anything Mariners related no matter what, as long they don't win the World Series, is a fantastic philosophy.

Sounds like a super fun and enjoyable way to be a fan.

Chapow

Reaction score
Imagine not even being able to enjoy making the playoffs for the first time in 21 years. Or enjoy shutting out the Blue Jays on Friday night for their first playoff win in 21 years. Or enjoy that epic come from behind win yesterday to sweep the WC series and move on in the playoffs... all because you're determined to cling to your misery no matter what until they make it to a World Series.

Man, that's just sad.