Seahawks sign TE Gerald Everett from Rams

chris98251

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2m0bf57s said:
Ehh we talked about this before. I saw him coming here, so did others. It's cool. Not sure we needed it. We've always been good at plugging in te we had for cheap but since we had Jimmy we try to force te's in this offense. I thought we would be ok with dissly, Parkinson and bring back Hollister. It's cool though. Everett will be nice. Has a bit of the dropsies, but he could do well here.

We could have used that money toward more oline.

Well when we Trade Wilson, Wagner and Adams we should have plenty of money.

Forthewin

Reaction score
Honestly, calm down guys! Plot twists...Hawks trade 1 or 2 TEs for drafts picks, but they have to make sure they got thier upgrade first.

Is this dude an upgrade? Yes! Do we like upgrades? Yes! I want better OLmen more then anyone, but I love the position up grade and I am willing to see how the next week turns out. What are we, 3 days deep into FA? With trades and draft picks coming up we have plenty of time!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If Shotty was still here, I wouldn't like the signing that much. But, step back from the doom and gloom train and think about who his OC is. Someone who knows the guy and actually knows how to utilize the TE. Just sayin....

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":23vwnipz said:
Everett is a direct upgrade to Hollister. We could see Hollister dealt for some late draft capital from the 5th to 7th, which in addition to the performance upgrade would further justify the salary.

Is he a 3m dollar upgrade though? Twice the player as Hollister?

Here's an idea i'm throwing out there. How about drafting a TE thats actually worth a damn. That would be different.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2iyan2y3 said:
Maelstrom787":2iyan2y3 said:
Everett is a direct upgrade to Hollister. We could see Hollister dealt for some late draft capital from the 5th to 7th, which in addition to the performance upgrade would further justify the salary.

Here's an idea i'm throwing out there. How about drafting a TE thats actually worth a damn. That would be different.

He's probably a 3m dollar upgrade, yeah. If they drafted a tight end, all you guys would whine about how they shouldn't have drafted a tight end. Not every need can be filled via the draft, it just doesn't work that way.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1evajph0 said:
pittpnthrs":1evajph0 said:
Maelstrom787":1evajph0 said:

He's probably a 3m dollar upgrade, yeah. If they drafted a tight end, all you guys would whine about how they shouldn't have drafted a tight end. Not every need can be filled via the draft, it just doesn't work that way.

If they ever drafted one that was any good, I doubt you would hear any complaining. Lets look at their drafting at the TE position over the years.

Anthony McCoy, Luke Willson, Nick Vannett, Will Dissly, Colby Parkinson, Stephen Sullivan. Sheesh, they are worse at drafting that position than they are with offensive linemen. Its no wonder they constantly over pay for free agent TEs.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think this makes sense and is a good fit for us. I would have preferred a 2 or 3 year deal. This makes him the 17th highest paid TE in the league and on the similar pay to Cameron Brate, Nick Boyle, Tyler Kroft, CJ Uzomah, Eric Ebron Blake Jarwin.

Good Size - 6'3" 240lbs
Good Age - 26
Good Metrics - 4.6 (40) and 37.5 (vert)
Familiar with New Coordinators system

As a former 2nd round pick he is really just starting to show his full potential.
Has shown improvement each season with increased catches and yards.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Is it just me but I’ve been seeing that Everett is decent in his blocking fits. To me it seems Everett is a step-up from getting a 36 year old Greg Olsen or Jimmy Graham as an in-line blocker. Plus, It helps Waldron having someone he’s familiar with to help transition the offense forward . I don’t know if 6 mil is considered an overpay when you have some TEs signing for 10-15 mil apy in this current market. It’s a solid signing and one many thought would happen.

For me Everett is much more warranted, has much more of a higher ceiling, and perhaps much more guaranteed success to be more impactful on his 1 for 6 than Olsen was on his 1 for 7. Everett can be your seam breaker/crosser trump card while Dissly can be utilized as more of your RZ threat with Parkinson backing both roles.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think its a decent signing. A little higher than I thought it might be but after Johnu signed I thought this would be the TE we target.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
I think the signing was a decent move. Expensive? Well that relative, given the cap situation it was costly, however compared to what the Patriots paid Jonnu Smith it's a deal. What makes it frustrating is the needs at OL and DL and no clear path to fix those this season thus far. Think most folks feel the line on both sides should be addressed first and I think the Seahawks are bidding their time because of all the cash thrown at linemen early on. Look at what the 49ers gave Trent Williams, kind of obscene and risky as heck.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Harold Seattle":2eg20328 said:
I think the signing was a decent move. Expensive? Well that relative, given the cap situation it was costly, however compared to what the Patriots paid Jonnu Smith it's a deal. What makes it frustrating is the needs at OL and DL and no clear path to fix those this season thus far. Think most folks feel the line on both sides should be addressed first and I think the Seahawks are bidding their time because of all the cash thrown at linemen early on. Look at what the 49ers gave Trent Williams, kind of obscene and risky as heck.

The free agency period is in its infancy, and they've already made a decisive move to improve the guard position. There's really no reason to rush.

Own The West

Reaction score
Everett, Cook, and Chris Manhertz all got 1yr @$6M. Of the three, I think Everett is the best value -- and he knows our system.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Own The West":32a5wvip said:
Everett, Cook, and Chris Manhertz all got 1yr @$6M. Of the three, I think Everett is the best value -- and he knows our system.

He's underrated. 4.6 speed, can make tough catches, and is a threat after the catch. Him already knowing the new concepts is going to be quite valuable, too. Should help out on third down.

Jville

Reaction score
I was disappointed in the use of tight ends last year .............................

EwiWgrQWQAYDviHformatjpgnamesmall

....................................... I'm optimistic that is about to change with an introduction of a new offense.

toffee

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1s3cs9hj said:
I think this makes sense and is a good fit for us. I would have preferred a 2 or 3 year deal. This makes him the 17th highest paid TE in the league and on the similar pay to Cameron Brate, Nick Boyle, Tyler Kroft, CJ Uzomah, Eric Ebron Blake Jarwin.

Good Size - 6'3" 240lbs
Good Age - 26

As a former 2nd round pick he is really just starting to show his full potential.

Wouldnt 6'3' ,240 be undersized ?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":3829048g said:
Wenhawk":3829048g said:

Good Size - 6'3" 240lbs
Good Age - 26

It's good size. Especially for a movement tight end. Tyler Mabry, who signed a futures contract, is listed at 6"3" 247lb. A good movement tight end is what this new offense requires.

Our historically best small tight end was John Sawyer. He was listed at 6'-2" and 230lbs toward the end of his career in various archives. But he was actually 6' and maybe something approaching an inch and 215 lbs. He was a match up problem for opponent coverages. During his most effective seasons it was said his weight would slip to 205 lbs during games.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Any time we can take a good player from the Rams that's a win. We took one of there coaches now there TE . I'm still not convinced Stafford is going to be as good there as every one else is. He puts up good stats but he's not a great QB imo.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":22f1tnrv said:
toffee":22f1tnrv said:
Wenhawk":22f1tnrv said:

Good Size - 6'3" 240lbs
Good Age - 26

It's good size. Especially for a movement tight end. Tyler Mabry, who signed a futures contract, is listed at 6"3" 247lb. A good movement tight end is what this new offense requires.

Our historically best small tight end was John Sawyer. He was listed at 6'-2" and 230lbs toward the end of his career in various archives. But he was actually 6' and maybe something approaching an inch and 215 lbs. He was a match up problem for opponent coverages. During his most effective seasons it was said his weight would slip to 205 lbs during games.
He is almost the same size as DK,

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":27ag775n said:
Jville":27ag775n said:
toffee":27ag775n said:
Wenhawk":27ag775n said:

Good Size - 6'3" 240lbs
Good Age - 26

He is almost the same size as DK,

Very true. John Sawyer's career spanned from 1975-84. The game was much different than it is now.

That in no way diminishes his accomplishments. He was an 11th round pick in the 1975. Which pretty much would be an UDFA nowadays. Even so, he had a 10 year career in the NFL.