Seahawks sign center Evan Brown

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What can (Evan) Brown do for you??

Great solid pickup.

Assuming, Seattle, will “pencil” him in as starter for now and possibly draft the heir apprentice Center (maybe Day 3) of the draft now.

First and second day picks will be even more interesting now!

You know Pete loves him some versatility, so yes pencil Brown in as a starter. Unless we draft a center, then it's competition time, and if the rookie wins the competition? Then Brown can slide over to guard, which he played well.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
You know Pete loves him some versatility, so yes pencil Brown in as a starter. Unless we draft a center, then it's competition time, and if the rookie wins the competition? Then Brown can slide over to guard, which he played well.
Agreed.

Drafting a center could create a competition at both the center and guard position with just one pick. If Brown loses to the rookie he competes against Phil Haynes at RG.

Jville

Reaction score
This is a great time of the year. A musical chairs type time of the year.

Just as Cody Barton has left for an opportunity to start, Evan Brown signs for an opportunity to start.

The unfolding of events this week has been a joy to behold.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Good point. And he's versatile enough to play Center OR Guard if needed. Yet another solid addition by this front office. Nicely done.
Late 1st or with one of their 2nd rounders, grab another Center and you'll be set at an extremely important position.
Steve Avila in the second round. He's played Center and Guard at TCU. This would add a ton of flexibility to our IOL.

Blazin Hawk

Reaction score
Are we in the bizzarro world?

All of our needs are getting addressed at reasonable cost - and we're still not even at the draft yet -

Kudos to PC and JS this year. They are Fing nailing stuff so far. JS seemed like he got it on the defensive comments a week or two ago, and it's coming true!

Keep this shit up and we're gonna have a SEASON!
I was thinking the same thing. Addressing a lot of needs in FA, it’ll be interesting to see where they go at the draft. If they’re not targeting a QB in this years draft, I really hope they make a trade to position themselves for next year.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Dying to know what we payed him , anyone have a guess? I’m thinking it’s something to do like 6 mill then incentive money possibly

sutz

Reaction score
I heard Evan has gained nine pounds so far this off season.

Sounds like trouble.

I'm optimistic though.
Well, if he gained it in the weight room and not the cafeteria, I think he'll be ok. ;)

nanomoz

Reaction score
I heard Evan has gained nine pounds so far this off season.

Sounds like trouble.

I'm optimistic though.
I heard he was just wearing a beaded merkin of extraordinary weight. Unlike Jalen, who seems to have moved into a Krispy Kreme location.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Dying to know what we payed him , anyone have a guess? I’m thinking it’s something to do like 6 mill then incentive money possibly
He made $2M last year. I read some people thought he'd end up going for 8-10M.

Considering Phil Haynes got $4M with less experience (but at a higher premium position), I think he'll sign for about $5-6M and be the penciled in starter at C until the draft.

Rainger

Reaction score
Are we in the bizzarro world?

All of our needs are getting addressed at reasonable cost - and we're still not even at the draft yet -

Kudos to PC and JS this year. They are Fing nailing stuff so far. JS seemed like he got it on the defensive comments a week or two ago, and it's coming true!

Keep this shit up and we're gonna have a SEASON!
I know I will get shit for this but doesn't it seem the team is back to its identity ever since they got rid of RW.

How many years were their decisions based on trying the fit to him?

Seems like 2010 - 2012 all over again.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I know I will get shit for this but doesn't it seem the team is back to its identity ever since they got rid of RW.

How many years were their decisions based on trying the fit to him?

Seems like 2010 - 2012 all over again.
I think this is exactly what's going on. PC has always wanted a balanced team that can play defense and both run and throw the ball. I'm a big Russell Wilson fan and I wish him well in Denver (now that we no longer have Denver's #1 pick), but it was clear Wilson either couldn't or wouldn't run the whole playbook. Add in the fact that Wilson's salary was taking up 1/4 to 1/3 of the salary cap and Seattle was anything but balanced. Now with Geno, the whole playbook is available and there is cap space to invest in the OL and the defense. I think Pete is loving this.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Most fans and pundits are smitten with JMS and Wypler. And rightfully so, as those are great player/prospects. But I'm with you in that I see some depth in this class at C. The Brown signing makes feel like the Hawks could wait a bit to throw a dart at my personal favorite C that few people seem to be talking about: Ricky Stromberg out of Arkansas.

I think Stromberg's got the juice. Especially in this Zone Blocking Scheme.
This, 100% this. I have Ricky Stromberg in my mock drafts because I really like him and think the Hawks will love his versatility as well. I could see the Hawks drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round. Personally I'm not sure I'd want to risk missing out on him to wait for the 4th round but I'm just an armchair draft expert