Seahawks re-signing TE Will Dissly --3 year $24 million

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34ez5w7z said:
That's a part of his game that seems to be ignored. Why the hell they are not throwing to him more.......
Likely using him for blocking most of the time.

By they, you mean our former QB?

Times be changin.... 8)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rcaido":rj9ux6oq said:
Beyond comical. I love Dissly but why??? Also why now, couldn't you at least fix the RB situation first and some oline before committing to this contract.

Maybe because it doesnt matter who your RB is if you don't have front line blockers for him....

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Fade":1ldsp8ha said:
This contract makes Will Dissly a top 15 TE pay wise.

Meanwhile, the Rams re-sign one of the best Centers in the game for the same amount.

The Rams keep winning, the Seahawks keep losing, every off-season… for YEARS now.

The Seahawks currently have $100M spent and $30M APY spent at Safety. Did the Seahawks not get the memo that the game is won and lost upfront? They continue to spend like crazy at less valuable positions, while being underwhelming where it matters, O-Line & D-Line.

Isnt Dissly an extension of the o-line though?

Fade

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2dtrzv6r said:
I realize that what I'm about to say occurred before 2 season ending injuries. But he was on pace for a Pro-Bowl season for each of his first 2 seasons. He looked like the most complete TE's we've had in quite some time. The last 2 years he's been behind an established vet, limiting his opportunities. If he can become the player he was his first 2 years I think it's a good deal.
Also everyone seems to not realize that the cap increased substantially so prices for players is bound to inflate. Think of QB's who are now commanding 40-50M per year when 3 years ago 30M was the top end.

He can't, he shredded his knee, and popped his Achilles. He is a shell of his formerself athletically. He can block, and as a tertiary option he can catch. He is a classic #2 TE at this juncture. He got $16M guaranteed which is insane. Meanwhile, the O-Line continues to be neglected so there's that.

The cap going up is not an excuse to overpay players. Every team benefits from the cap going up, not just the Seahawks. Which means smarter teams are better positioned to take advantage of the cap going up as their not flushing money on #2 TEs. The Seahawks are not smart. Which is why they continue to have bad off-seasons and get worse as a team year after year.

Fade

Reaction score
Hawkpower":xx3dvoy1 said:
Fade":xx3dvoy1 said:
This contract makes Will Dissly a top 15 TE pay wise.

Meanwhile, the Rams re-sign one of the best Centers in the game for the same amount.

The Rams keep winning, the Seahawks keep losing, every off-season… for YEARS now.

The Seahawks currently have $100M spent and $30M APY spent at Safety. Did the Seahawks not get the memo that the game is won and lost upfront? They continue to spend like crazy at less valuable positions, while being underwhelming where it matters, O-Line & D-Line.

Isnt Dissly an extension of the o-line though?

No, not even close. Unless you think he can block Bosa 1-on-1? No team in the league is paying their #2 TE $8M APY, either.

When I look at the contracts the Seahawks are handing out in FA, it screams they are a sinking ship and have to waay overpay to convince players to stay, or come here. They might as well be the Jaguars.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's not making 8 mil a year. He's making 6.85 a year for 2 seasons, 3rd season has NO guarantee.
All that killer work they did yesterday, and people are gonna' just dwell on this move for several months. Same old.....

flv

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2lyfmoh9 said:
And there you have it. 3 good moves, and people dwell on the one "overpay" of the group.

Typical. And didn't someone post that it's more like 6.85 a year for 2 years? Not nearly as bad as 3 for 24.
Oh well, overreaction is kind of the jam these days. That, and people freaking out of they don't sign every single good free agent on the first day of Free Agency :irishdrinkers:

relax, I'm just messin'
It's not $6.85M a year for 2 years. It's $8.47M a year for 2 years, (based on appearances). If he didn't play at all it would still be $7.97M a year for 2 years. The 3rd year is cheaper at $7M. If he plays through all 3 years and the cap increases it will look like a decent deal. A potential $3M overpay isn't going to wreck the franchise, but it does look like a GM playing 'smartest man in the room'.

Fade

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":20gm4azn said:
He's not making 8 mil a year. He's making 6.85 a year for 2 seasons, 3rd season has NO guarantee.
All that killer work they did yesterday, and people are gonna' just dwell on this move for several months. Same old.....

$16M guaranteed. = he gets $8m dollars per over the next 2 years. 3rd year he isn't seeing, but is being utilized to spread the cap hit. Overpaid.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/3/15/22 ... -noah-fant

Bleacher Report:

Signing bonus: $9.3M
Base salaries: $1.04M (2022), $5.64M (2023) and $6.49M (2024)
Per game roster bonuses: $30k per game, up to $510k per year

"The 2022 base salary of $1.04M is fully guaranteed while the $5.64M base salary of 2023 is guaranteed for injury only. That said, while the $5.64M is guaranteed for injury only, it is, effectively, fully guaranteed given the structure of the deal.

With the contract including a $9.3M signing bonus, if the Seahawks were to release Dissly after the 2022 season they would incur a $6.2M dead cap hit. That means that if they decide to move on from Dissly prior to the 2023 season the deal would effectively have been a one-year, $10.85M contract. That’s a whole lot of money for a single season of a player who has zero seasons with more than 300 yards receiving in his career. Yes, Dissly’s a good blocker, but he’s not a $10.85M per year good blocker, and if he were he’d be playing tackle and making twice as much. "

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I like Dissly also but i agree with some people here that 8m is. . . um. . crazy for a dude with 900 career yards. lol.

I mean I know TE has a lot more to do than put up stats but the league is what it is.

But hey, I prefer contracts that pay a guy in hopes they have a bright future vs. paying a guy for past performance.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2uef5smr said:
I like Dissly also but i agree with some people here that 8m is. . . um. . crazy for a dude with 900 career yards. lol.

I mean I know TE has a lot more to do than put up stats but the league is what it is.

But hey, I prefer contracts that pay a guy in hopes they have a bright future vs. paying a guy for past performance.

Every contract is a mix of both.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

edogg23

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":33vbs8ug said:
Hawknballs":33vbs8ug said:

Every contract is a mix of both.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

Nothing ignorant about thinking this is a bad contract. It’s very suspect.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well we signed a guy we barely use to a fairly thick contract.

Do you think that without a QB we will use him even more now?

I like Dissly. I don't think he has shown he will be worth what we plan to pay him because we likely won't use him enough to do that.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
Per Si.com

One of the most respected players in Seattle's locker room, Dissly earned his stripes by bouncing back beautifully from not one, but two severe injuries to open his career. Considering his popularity with coaches and teammates for his grit and willingness to do the dirty work in the trenches.

Playing in a tight end-friendly scheme coordinated by Shane Waldron featuring plenty of 12 personnel groupings, Dissly could be a greater focal point in the passing game as he was in his first two seasons

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Kind of feels like the contract we gave Lockett after his big injury. Quite a few people were questioning it before he went off and started making more and more insane catches. I'm not saying Dissly will be as productive as Lockett, but maybe they're going to use him a lot more and trust he's recovered and healed enough to be our #1 TE

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If Dissly returns to form (and a huge part of Dissly returning to form is the Seahawks choosing to utilize him more) this contract will seem quite reasonable.

He's a very competent blocker, who can take on Bosa about as well as any other tight end in the league. Bosa will get his, but so will Dissly. He's not quite as good an extra lineman in pass pro as George Fant was, but he offsets that with better downfield work, extending run plays.

Good route runner, if the offense schemes him open, he tends to be open. Solid hands. I don't recall him ever having a case of the dropsies. Personally, I think he has the potential to be a top 5 receiving tight end, if given the opportunity.

I think his lack of production has more to do with how the Hawks have chosen to ease him back after his injury, Wilson's late career reluctance to utilizing tight ends, and the Hawks inexplicable move of bringing in Olsen.

Dissly has the potential to be our TE #1, and this contract reflects that. I expect some pretty fierce competition in training camp, and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

It woukd be nice if the contract was more incentive laden. My only real gripe with it is the amount of guaranteed money. Barring further injury, though, I think he will earn the contract.

sutz

Reaction score
I remember a couple of times Diss dropped the ball. But I remember the same about Rice and yes, Largent, too. :mrgreen:

classicaaron

Reaction score
im with alot of other posters. i really like him but at the same time im pretty sure just about any nfl caliber TE could have the same results as him. Should he be in the league, yes, should he demand high dollar, no.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nobody said he wasn't overpaid Fade.

I get it, every single thing they do sucks in your eyes. Have a Snickers bar man, you are an epic whiner.

Own The West

Reaction score
I like this signing. People ooh and aah about TE receptions, but most NFL TEs can't block. Dissly can do it all.

My only reservation is that he's had a couple pretty serious injuries in his first few years.