Seahawks ranked #1 in best draft value since 2012

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Their metric is CAVOE which is interesting. If you look at the numbers the 2012 draft was over 200 (one of the best drafts of all time IMO) but since then the number has been average / negative. The 49ers in contrast were terrible from 2012-2016 under Baalke but have been average, a little positive under Lynch except for the big misses on Rueben Foster and Solomon Thomas. It would be neat if they redid it in the last 5 years as a 10 year span is pretty long and the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" business
LOL This is what I've been telling you. Schneider is the best in the business and Lynch is ranked 30th. Suck it up buttercup.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I've posted along these lines before but our issue has always been not having enough draft capital in the first place. The scouting has seemed pretty good given what we've had to work with, and posters underestimate how many busts every team has and how uncertain the draft is.

The lack of draft capital isn't entirely their fault. It's hard to find spots for rookies on a really stacked roster (2013), the draft order heavily penalizes successful teams, and when you think you're currently in a Super Bowl window it's not attractive to stockpile with youth.

That being said, the FO bears the ultimate responsibility because they know the rules and how the system is set up. Trading picks away for players so often and not maximizing compensatory picks every year were short term moves that tried to stave off rebuilding as long as possible. However, you just can't sustain a good roster under the NFL's salary cap without a constant infusion of rookie contracts.

That's basically it. 2020 for example is looking pretty rough two years later; seven of the top ten picks have been underwhelming (or worse) and there haven't been many mid round standouts yet.

Additionally, I only know of two ways a team can try to stay successful over longer periods.

One is to make an against-the-rules agreement with, say, a QB who also has his own business, where the QB receives a well-below-market salary from the team, but the team contracts the QB's company or makes other arrangements to compensate the QB outside the official salary structure. The money saved against the cap can then be applied to other players who can improve the team.

The other way is to keep drafting players who can contribute, including (especially?) at QB, and acquiring undervalued players via free agency and trades, in order to keep the roster from getting weak as the salaries of players contributing to the team's success increase and take up increasingly large portions of the cap. The problem with this approach is that some players get sensitive if a team is even looking at draft prospects at their positions, and fans who idolize those players get their panties in a collective bunch about the team "disrespecting" those players.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Additionally, I only know of two ways a team can try to stay successful over longer periods.

One is to make an against-the-rules agreement with, say, a QB who also has his own business, where the QB receives a well-below-market salary from the team, but the team contracts the QB's company or makes other arrangements to compensate the QB outside the official salary structure. The money saved against the cap can then be applied to other players who can improve the team.

The other way is to keep drafting players who can contribute, including (especially?) at QB, and acquiring undervalued players via free agency and trades, in order to keep the roster from getting weak as the salaries of players contributing to the team's success increase and take up increasingly large portions of the cap. The problem with this approach is that some players get sensitive if a team is even looking at draft prospects at their positions, and fans who idolize those players get their panties in a collective bunch about the team "disrespecting" those players.
Sweetheart deals? Mum’s the word but you have to know it already happens. Taxes suck? Here have one of my yacht’s as compensation

getnasty

Reaction score
2010 and 2011 drafts were amazing too but everyone always talks about 2012. Come on Pete and John run it back one more time.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
If someone does great for a year or two and then sucks how long do you give them? Tom Coughlin and the Giants won the Super Bowl in 2012 and he was OUT in 2015. I guess we have a high high tolerance for post season and draft suckitude. At least some do.

Latest posts