Seahawks OL scheme

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Now that Solari has been fired and Dickerson taking over. I wonder if the Seahawks will be going through another OL rehaul. Who stays and goes?

I think it's likely that Gabe Jackson may no longer be a fit. Especially if they are looking for more athletic types of OL. Both are in the 325+ pd range. They may look for more of the Jamarco Jones types that around 300 pds.

Revisiting this article - https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/2...ely-means-seattle-seahawks-mike-solari-o-line

This paragraph from the above article caught my eye -
"The first concern raised by many has been whether the Hawks have the offensive linemen athletic enough to play within a wide zone scheme given Solari’s preference for maulers. It’s certainly the case that many of the interior offensive linemen the Hawks have used in recent seasons, including D.J. Fluker and Mike Iupati, lack the athleticism ideal for implementing a wide zone scheme. However, 2020 third round pick Damien Lewis’ athletic testing numbers from the combine put him at above average athleticism among NFL offensive linemen. That, of course, leads to the question of whether his testing was simply buoyed by combine prep because his film shows blocks missed in the second level due to poor angles and change of direction questions once up to speed, but from a numbers and testing perspective Lewis meets the criteria. In addition, both Brandon Shell and Duane Brown at tackle have the athleticism necessary to play in a wide zone scheme, though between age for Brown and heavy footedness for Shell, they may not be the perfect fit."

John63

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2dblfqra said:
Now that Solari has been fired and Dickerson taking over. I wonder if the Seahawks will be going through another OL rehaul. Who stays and goes?

I think it's likely that Gabe Jackson may no longer be a fit. Especially if they are looking for more athletic types of OL. Both are in the 325+ pd range. They may look for more of the Jamarco Jones types that around 300 pds.

Revisiting this article - https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/2...ely-means-seattle-seahawks-mike-solari-o-line

"The first concern raised by many has been whether the Hawks have the offensive linemen athletic enough to play within a wide zone scheme given Solari’s preference for maulers. It’s certainly the case that many of the interior offensive linemen the Hawks have used in recent seasons, including D.J. Fluker and Mike Iupati, lack the athleticism ideal for implementing a wide zone scheme. However, 2020 third round pick Damien Lewis’ athletic testing numbers from the combine put him at above average athleticism among NFL offensive linemen. That, of course, leads to the question of whether his testing was simply buoyed by combine prep because his film shows blocks missed in the second level due to poor angles and change of direction questions once up to speed, but from a numbers and testing perspective Lewis meets the criteria. In addition, both Brandon Shell and Duane Brown at tackle have the athleticism necessary to play in a wide zone scheme, though between age for Brown and heavy footedness for Shell, they may not be the perfect fit."

There will be a change we have always preferred huge guys that were run blockers, maulers, and were sub-par pass blockers. Now we will need more athletic blockers who can move quickly with a wide zone scheme which just so happens to also be the type that does better at pass blocking. Our run game will be based on deception and cutbacks etc. When the other team does not know what's coming 80% of the time(that is what several players from teams we have faced in the past said, they said they knew what was coming on 80% of the plays) we no longer really need to maul them to get the job done we need to out quick them and let their own momentum open the hole or crease. Same for pass blocking.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3e7lg8tv said:
hawkfan68":3e7lg8tv said:

There will be a change we have always preferred huge guys that were run blockers, maulers, and were sub-par pass blockers. Now we will need more athletic blockers who can move quickly with a wide zone scheme which just so happens to also be the type that does better at pass blocking. Our run game will be based on deception and cutbacks etc. When the other team does not know what's coming 80% of the time(that is what several players from teams we have faced in the past said, they said they knew what was coming on 80% of the plays) we no longer really need to maul them to get the job done we need to out quick them and let their own momentum open the hole or crease. Same for pass blocking.

This is not completely true. It's more of a regurgitated talking point than a fact.

Seattle, if anything, was predisposed to overvaluing athletic prospects on the line before they went more for "maulers" with Solari.

Cable was a zone guy, through and through, who valued length and explosion. Not the same as the road grading, mauler types.

toffee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":aoj8tt57 said:

Jamarco? The slowest linemen from his year's draft?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1hkbj2a1 said:
John63":1hkbj2a1 said:
hawkfan68":1hkbj2a1 said:

This is not completely true. It's more of a regurgitated talking point than a fact.

Seattle, if anything, was predisposed to overvaluing athletic prospects on the line before they went more for "maulers" with Solari.

Cable was a zone guy, through and through, who valued length and explosion. Not the same as the road grading, mauler types.

believe whatever you want and make's you happy. I will stick with the truth. Seems since Solarii was the last oline coach and as you said he liked maulers what I said was correct.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bengals gave a text book defense on how to slow down the Rams run game yesterday, they also stymied a lot of the big explosive plays, the TE and Kupp was what broke it down, just barely.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":1c3z7zb2 said:
Maelstrom787":1c3z7zb2 said:
John63":1c3z7zb2 said:
hawkfan68":1c3z7zb2 said:

believe whatever you want and make's you happy. I will stick with the truth. Seems since Solarii was the last oline coach and as you said he liked maulers what I said was correct.

You said "always." Not "since 2018."

Prior to 2018, the Seahawks were a zone blocking team with a zone blocking OL coach who valued explosion and athleticism.

Also, I said they went more for "maulers." Not entirely for "maulers." Not all players fit within the black-and-white "mauler" archetype, even those who are good at run blocking.

Zone blockers are absolutely not necessarily better at pass blocking. Literally anyone alive to watch Seattle prior to 2018 can attest to this.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Thanks 787, Someone had to set him straight. Sad this line scheme was athletic and got manhandled, move to bigger mauler and is now moving back to quicker lineman.

Ultimately, it comes down to the man in the uniform. Is he smart, strong, quick and does he play thin the system? I think this group is getting closer, but it still has holes.

John63

Reaction score
nwHawk":2vi7balt said:
Thanks 787, Someone had to set him straight. Sad this line scheme was athletic and got manhandled, move to bigger mauler and is now moving back to quicker lineman.

Ultimately, it comes down to the man in the uniform. Is he smart, strong, quick and does he play thin the system? I think this group is getting closer, but it still has holes.

Lol you think he set anyone straight how cute. All he did is make me laugh.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":16bnlzkm said:
nwHawk":16bnlzkm said:

It's good that you can laugh at yourself when you make mistakes. Makes life easier.

kf3339

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2go02ul6 said:
John63":2go02ul6 said:
Maelstrom787":2go02ul6 said:
John63":2go02ul6 said:

Prior to 2018, the Seahawks were a zone blocking team with a zone blocking OL coach who valued explosion and athleticism.

Also, I said they went more for "maulers." Not entirely for "maulers." Not all players fit within the black-and-white "mauler" archetype, even those who are good at run blocking.

Zone blockers are absolutely not necessarily better at pass blocking. Literally anyone alive to watch Seattle prior to 2018 can attest to this.[/quote

Seems to me we used zone blocking under Cable and power blocking under Solari. Yet both lines played like crap in both systems. It says more that our drafting of OL, and our OL trades/FA have been lackluster at best. I would hope that someone in the front office will know how to get the right guys for whatever system that can consistently do the job. There hasn't been a real commitment to the OL at all. At least that is how I see it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
kf3339":2io0mp4g said:
Maelstrom787":2io0mp4g said:
John63":2io0mp4g said:
Maelstrom787":2io0mp4g said:

Zone blockers are absolutely not necessarily better at pass blocking. Literally anyone alive to watch Seattle prior to 2018 can attest to this.[/quote

Seems to me we used zone blocking under Cable and power blocking under Solari. Yet both lines played like crap in both systems. It says more that our drafting of OL, and our OL trades/FA have been lackluster at best. I would hope that someone in the front office will know how to get the right guys for whatever system that can consistently do the job. There hasn't been a real commitment to the OL at all. At least that is how I see it.

They invested quite a lot under Cable, actually. He squandered it all.

With Solari, there was much much less investment, yet better results. I like Solari a lot, but his fit with Waldron is highly sus, and that's why he's out.

I too am hoping for a bigger investment in the unit, especially with an heir needed at LT (Stone almost certainly doesn't amount to being that guy), but I think we also need to acknowledge the other factor in this: they have to pass block for one of the most difficult quarterbacks in the league, and will need to continue to be judged with that reality in mind.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":321lpkqp said:
John63":321lpkqp said:
nwHawk":321lpkqp said:

It's good that you can laugh at yourself when you make mistakes. Makes life easier.

LOl you think I am laughing at myself how funny.

Le tme help you

We just let go of our oline coach under hime as I said "There will be a change we have always preferred huge guys that were run blockers, maulers, and were sub-par pass blockers. "

You decided I was wrong but also said " before they went more for "maulers" with Solari."

So you basically are trying to say I am wrong even though you admitted I was right.

Now if we want to bring in pre Solare I might agree with you to a point. that point being they still valued run blocking over pass blocking.

But again thanks for the laughs, it's good you can make others laugh at your own expense.

That aside we do agree we are hoping for more investment in the oline, that said I don't want money spent to spend it or money spent to bring in olineman that can only do one thing. we need a lineman that can pass and run block.

Own The West

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2t6pbpdf said:
kf3339":2t6pbpdf said:
Maelstrom787":2t6pbpdf said:
John63":2t6pbpdf said:

They invested quite a lot under Cable, actually. He squandered it all.

With Solari, there was much much less investment, yet better results. I like Solari a lot, but his fit with Waldron is highly sus, and that's why he's out.

I too am hoping for a bigger investment in the unit, especially with an heir needed at LT (Stone almost certainly doesn't amount to being that guy), but I think we also need to acknowledge the other factor in this: they have to pass block for one of the most difficult quarterbacks in the league, and will need to continue to be judged with that reality in mind.

It's interesting you bring up Stone. When I heard this news and the supposed rationale, I immediately thought that Stone fit the description of the more agile OL that can pull and move. Forsythe's "surprising mobility for a guy his size" was an oft repeated critique after we drafted him last year.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
From a post I made last New Year's Eve:

"Seems like everyone here is forgetting that we hired a new OC with a completely different offensive scheme than the similar ones that came with bevel and scheissenhammer. I'm not sure how well Solari's O-line blocking scheme works with the new O, either."

I think that was lost in a long thread full of bickering, as most threads seem to devolve to these days.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

Zone blockers are absolutely not necessarily better at pass blocking. Literally anyone alive to watch Seattle prior to 2018 can attest to this.
Drafting offensive linemen for “scheme fit” has become a topic on the Bears forum lately. If the Bears decide to draft defensive line in the first round, the three best athletic zone blocking tackles may all go in the first or second round before #53. But Bears NEED a right tackle (badly). So what do you do?

I suggested Dewand Jones. He’s a classic “mauler”, not a zone blocker. So what? Jenkins is also more a “mauler” at RG, so just let them maul people when we run to the right, and have lighter guys Braxton Jones and Nate Davis do zone blocking when we run Herbert/Foreman on sweeps to the left.

I admit this blocking “scheme” is unconventional, but if you have the players to make it work, why not? It is a throwback to Don Shula who adapted the scheme to his players' strengths instead of the players to a pet scheme.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
You might consider Jones to be a mauler he will be able to play in a power or zone system if you watch Ohio St game film they will do outside zone runs and Jones has no problem getting to his spot. It’s a misconception that just because Jones is really big he’s not athletic he has played some LT for OSU. There was a game I saw where OSU had Jones @RT and Paris Johnson @ RG

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You might consider Jones to be a mauler he will be able to play in a power or zone system if you watch Ohio St game film they will do outside zone runs and Jones has no problem getting to his spot. It’s a misconception that just because Jones is really big he’s not athletic he has played some LT for OSU. There was a game I saw where OSU had Jones @RT and Paris Johnson @ RG
Interesting. But let’s say he’s better suited for power blocking than zone blocking, what’s your thought about running some power blocking plays on his side and mostly zone blocking on the other side to best match the playing strengths of the players?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Interesting. But let’s say he’s better suited for power blocking than zone blocking, what’s your thought about running some power blocking plays on his side and mostly zone blocking on the other side to best match the playing strengths of the players?
I don’t like that concept mostly because the offensive line works in tandem i like to call it 5 guys playing as 1, IMO there would be too much of a chance of something going wrong. When it comes to the ZBS Alex Gibbs is known as the godfather he was the mastermind of the O line Denver had in the late 90s when any Tom, Dick or Harry could gain 1k yards. ZBS isn’t a new concept Gibbs just perfected it. Vince Lombardi ran something similar he called it area blocking