Seahawks get 4 Comp picks

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3hrz72cx said:
nepahawk":3hrz72cx said:
Does anyone believe we will draft 11 players?
With that many picks, I see us moving around quite a bit.
I see us packaging picks to get the players that JS and PC have their eyes on.
The compensatory picks can't be traded.

No, but we can trade our other picks in the 4th, 5th, and 6th round and still retain picks in those rounds because of the comp picks.

For example, we could trade a 4th rounder to move up in the 2nd and still have a 4th round selection because of the comp pick. It gives you freedom to move around the board and know you will still have those comp picks in that given round.

edogg23

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":1fv0hxsb said:
el capitan":1fv0hxsb said:
JTB":1fv0hxsb said:
The Tate contract was not that huge (in the second waye of FA). That's why it was a 4 instead of a 3.

The Talib deal from Denver was much bigger, which is why NE got a 3.

How does Talib's deal stack up against the one Byron Maxwell just signed with the Eagles?

As I understand it, from a compensatory standpoint, Max's deal should equate to a 3rd for us next year, but that isn't based on any comparison to Talib. Picks are awarded based on salary tier values. Max signed a top 3-5 contract this free agency period, and with the Hawks not replacing him with with a regular UFA from another team, there is no offset that would drop his compensatory valu, meaning the Hawks will be awarded one of the highest comp picks in next year''s draft.

That is the beauty of the Carey Williams signing. He was released by the Eagles, so we didn't "take away another team's player" by signing him, and thus doesn't count in the same way signing a regular UFA does in the comp calculations. We get a decent to potentially solid replacement for Max, at a much lower cost, and it didn't hurt us comp pick wise.

EDIT: I wrote all that forgetting about the recent Revis and Hardy signings. Max may end up yielding us a 4th after all. There are only three 3rd round comp picks awarded each year. The Suh, Revis, Murray, Thomas, Hardy, and Maxwell signings are competing for those three 3rd round comp picks. I'm too tired to dig deeper at this point. :180670: A little help?
Revis was cut (he only completed 1 year of his 2 year deal) so I don't believe they get any compensation for him.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
edogg23":3kvf8ywv said:
Snakeeyes007":3kvf8ywv said:
el capitan":3kvf8ywv said:
JTB":3kvf8ywv said:
The Tate contract was not that huge (in the second waye of FA). That's why it was a 4 instead of a 3.

How does Talib's deal stack up against the one Byron Maxwell just signed with the Eagles?

As I understand it, from a compensatory standpoint, Max's deal should equate to a 3rd for us next year, but that isn't based on any comparison to Talib. Picks are awarded based on salary tier values. Max signed a top 3-5 contract this free agency period, and with the Hawks not replacing him with with a regular UFA from another team, there is no offset that would drop his compensatory valu, meaning the Hawks will be awarded one of the highest comp picks in next year''s draft.

That is the beauty of the Carey Williams signing. He was released by the Eagles, so we didn't "take away another team's player" by signing him, and thus doesn't count in the same way signing a regular UFA does in the comp calculations. We get a decent to potentially solid replacement for Max, at a much lower cost, and it didn't hurt us comp pick wise.

EDIT: I wrote all that forgetting about the recent Revis and Hardy signings. Max may end up yielding us a 4th after all. There are only three 3rd round comp picks awarded each year. The Suh, Revis, Murray, Thomas, Hardy, and Maxwell signings are competing for those three 3rd round comp picks. I'm too tired to dig deeper at this point. :180670: A little help?
Revis was cut (he only completed 1 year of his 2 year deal) so I don't believe they get any compensation for him.

That is true! Thanks for the clarification, Edogg.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The Seahawks will always get lower round picks than we estimate beforehand. Not surprised at a fourth this year for Tate, and won't be surprised for a fourth next year for Maxwell, in spite of what everyone predicts. It's always that way.

That said, we have a ton of pretty good picks now. Love to see us wheel and deal in the draft with some of our original picks and move up to another second or third round pick from some of those lower ones. Having a few mid-tier picks to pick some of the better guys who have dropped unexpectedly would be very nice. Sure, having a bunch of fifth and sixth rounders is nice, but they don't all develop into Richard Sherman.

vonstout

Reaction score
lsheldon":3cidiv9w said:
vonstout":3cidiv9w said:
volsunghawk":3cidiv9w said:
If anything, this illustrates where the line between 5th and 6th round compensation is. Browner had a $5.05M average, and Breno had a $4.5M average on their new deals. So the line was somewhere in there - probably closer to the $4.5M number as Browner netted us the 2nd comp pick in the 5th, while Breno got us the 2nd comp pick in the 6th.

But KC and Houston both got 5th rounders for their FA's that signed 4.5 mil contracts. I don't get why we didn't get one for Breno. And Cincy got a 4th rounder and over the cap doesn't show anyone on the list they projected that even warranted a 5th let alone a 4th. I don't get it.

We did get a 5th for Breno. We got 6th's for Browner and McDonald. Cincinnati got a 4th for Anthony Collins who's APY was 6,000,000. Cutoff for 4th/5th for 2015 was $5,570,250 APY.

From the articles I've read, we got the 5th for Browner. He had a higher salary. Regardless, I don't see how Browner and Breno didn't both get us a 5th rounder.

sutz

Reaction score
SeaChase":3lo83nn0 said:
Soo how many picks do we have in total?
Riding at 11, I believe. 7 are tradeable, if JS wants to get creative, which he often does.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
edogg23":35w4jbwu said:
Snakeeyes007":35w4jbwu said:
el capitan":35w4jbwu said:
JTB":35w4jbwu said:

Revis was not cut, his option was declined. He WILL count for comp picks next year.

McGruff

Reaction score
vonstout":atu5yc0b said:
lsheldon":atu5yc0b said:
vonstout":atu5yc0b said:
volsunghawk":atu5yc0b said:
If anything, this illustrates where the line between 5th and 6th round compensation is. Browner had a $5.05M average, and Breno had a $4.5M average on their new deals. So the line was somewhere in there - probably closer to the $4.5M number as Browner netted us the 2nd comp pick in the 5th, while Breno got us the 2nd comp pick in the 6th.

But KC and Houston both got 5th rounders for their FA's that signed 4.5 mil contracts. I don't get why we didn't get one for Breno. And Cincy got a 4th rounder and over the cap doesn't show anyone on the list they projected that even warranted a 5th let alone a 4th. I don't get it.

We did get a 5th for Breno. We got 6th's for Browner and McDonald. Cincinnati got a 4th for Anthony Collins who's APY was 6,000,000. Cutoff for 4th/5th for 2015 was $5,570,250 APY.

From the articles I've read, we got the 5th for Browner. He had a higher salary. Regardless, I don't see how Browner and Breno didn't both get us a 5th rounder.

Browns comp was based on game checks, not actual salary, so his 4 games missed to suspension counted against us.

Seafan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2gew7lwf said:
Revis was not cut, his option was declined. He WILL count for comp picks next year.

A player has to play a minimum of two years for the team to get a comp. The Pats won't get a comp for Revis.

The Hawks wouldn't have received a comp for Schofield if he'd signed with the Giants last year though it's moot since they maxed at four.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Seafan":8fdxvp40 said:
HawkFan72":8fdxvp40 said:

A player has to play a minimum of two years for the team to get a comp. The Pats won't get a comp for Revis.

I'm not familiar with all the details so I don't know what's exactly right or wrong, but everywhere else I've seen says they will be getting that comp pick for Revis.

OTC is predicting they get a 3rd for Revis, as well as an ESPN article,etc.

http://overthecap.com/2016-compensatory ... e-3132015/

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... -aftermath

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/3/23/828 ... draft-pick

Article from Patriots website from writer:

http://www.patriots.com/news/2015/03/17 ... -departure