Seahawks get 4 Comp picks

volsunghawk

Reaction score
If anything, this illustrates where the line between 5th and 6th round compensation is. Browner had a $5.05M average, and Breno had a $4.5M average on their new deals. So the line was somewhere in there - probably closer to the $4.5M number as Browner netted us the 2nd comp pick in the 5th, while Breno got us the 2nd comp pick in the 6th.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3rwbbaql said:
Disappointing, if there was going to be any change from the projections I was hoping it would come in the form of a 3rd for Tate, having a 5th turn into a 6th sucks.
Yeah, I was disappointed to see that projected 5th turn out to be a 6th round comp. That coming after seeing the PH 4th end up being the 6th (even though that was pretty much expected.)

Dang, look at Baltimore. They got 3 compared to Seattle's 4, but got two 5th round comp picks. Who did they lose in comparison for those picks? I know as reported, they have been the Kings of the Comp Picks.

Seattle Seahawks: 4th round (134), 5th round (170), 6th round (209), 6th round (214)

Baltimore Ravens: 4th round (136), 5th round (171), 5th round (175)

McGruff

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1mfqplgq said:
If anything, this illustrates where the line between 5th and 6th round compensation is. Browner had a $5.05M average, and Breno had a $4.5M average on their new deals. So the line was somewhere in there - probably closer to the $4.5M number as Browner netted us the 2nd comp pick in the 5th, while Breno got us the 2nd comp pick in the 6th.

The problem is that line probably moves from year to year. Expect with the Suh contract especially that next year's lines will fall very differently.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
farhat":e2cx0k5v said:
Players like Mebane, McDaniel, Okung, better be prepared. I have a feeling this is going to be a good draft for us and those guys may get released if they're not pulling their weight.

Just wanted to point this post out...... Remember this post the next time a "Why is player X holding out doesn't he want to be a team player" Or "Player Y needs to sign a team friendly or home town discount deal" Or "How come player Z isn't showing the 12th man love on twitter or facebook or whatever social media you choose to follow"

jlwaters1

Reaction score
nepahawk":1kuujlft said:
Does anyone believe we will draft 11 players?
With that many picks, I see us moving around quite a bit.
I see us packaging picks to get the players that JS and PC have their eyes on.

Yes, but remember you CAN'T trade a comp pick. So we have 7 picks in which to wheel and deal.

Personally I hope they made 10 picks, because we need to keep restocking the deck and the more picks you make the more likely you are to hit on one of them.

My guess is we'll make 10 picks total and if we're lucky 7 of those make the team.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":x5ozyoft said:

How does WT3 and Clint McD figure into this?

Are comp picks not figured by the total lose of players in free agency but instead one player equals one pick?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":19ur8y4r said:
volsunghawk":19ur8y4r said:

Are comp picks not figured by the total lose of players in free agency but instead one player equals one pick?

It's a balancing act. If you bring in a FA on a similar deal to that of a guy who left, that wipes out the comp pick you might have gotten for the departing player.

McDonald is who netted us our last 6th rounder.

Thurmond didn't net us any picks because each team is allowed a maximum of 4 compensatory picks. I also have heard that there is a limit on the total number of compensatory picks that can be awarded in any draft. I think it's in the mid 30s.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
volsunghawk":gqje3ohh said:
Recon_Hawk":gqje3ohh said:
volsunghawk":gqje3ohh said:

It's a balancing act. If you bring in a FA on a similar deal to that of a guy who left, that wipes out the comp pick you might have gotten for the departing player.

Thurmond didn't net us any picks because each team is allowed a maximum of 4 compensatory picks. I also have heard that there is a limit on the total number of compensatory picks that can be awarded in any draft. I think it's in the mid 30s.

Kinda weird that there isn't an exact science to this whole thing thats published. You are very in the know but even you mix in a few I thinks or kindas.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3tihbz8d said:
Recon_Hawk":3tihbz8d said:
volsunghawk":3tihbz8d said:

Ahh ok thanks for that info on McDonald.

It still seems strange a player leaving in FA doesn't affect the comp picks once you hit the maximum 4 picks.

That would mean, hypothetically speaking, a team could lose 10 Clint McDonalds-type players with similar contracts and only get four 6th round comp picks while New England loses one Talib and gets a 3rd.

Weird formula the NFL is using.

lsheldon

Reaction score
McGruff":1beizqn4 said:
volsunghawk":1beizqn4 said:

The problem is that line probably moves from year to year. Expect with the Suh contract especially that next year's lines will fall very differently.

This page explains how they estimate the cutoff between comp pick levels based on APY vs salary cap increase year to year.

http://overthecap.com/basics-methodolog ... 15-beyond/

And this page gives projected APY cutoffs by round. The projected cutoff separating round 3 from round 4 for 2016 is projected to be 8,440,013.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draf ... ion-chart/

vonstout

Reaction score
volsunghawk":tu8oek23 said:

But KC and Houston both got 5th rounders for their FA's that signed 4.5 mil contracts. I don't get why we didn't get one for Breno. And Cincy got a 4th rounder and over the cap doesn't show anyone on the list they projected that even warranted a 5th let alone a 4th. I don't get it.

sutz

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1x0aywcj said:
Kinda weird that there isn't an exact science to this whole thing thats published. You are very in the know but even you mix in a few I thinks or kindas.

Well, it is rumored that the NFL has a real formula to do this, but nobody seems to know the particulars. All of the calculations you see are basically just informed opinions based on what happened in prior seasons. They come in fairly accurate, but I doubt anybody is 100% correct on predicting this. Makes for some fun discussions during the off season, though.

vonstout

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2216114h said:
SomersetHawk":2216114h said:
Disappointing, if there was going to be any change from the projections I was hoping it would come in the form of a 3rd for Tate, having a 5th turn into a 6th sucks.
Yeah, I was disappointed to see that projected 5th turn out to be a 6th round comp. That coming after seeing the PH 4th end up being the 6th (even though that was pretty much expected.)

Dang, look at Baltimore. They got 3 compared to Seattle's 4, but got two 5th round comp picks. Who did they lose in comparison for those picks? I know as reported, they have been the Kings of the Comp Picks.

Seattle Seahawks: 4th round (134), 5th round (170), 6th round (209), 6th round (214)

Arthur Jones - $6.6 mil
M. Oher - $5.0 mil
C. Graham - 4.075 mil

I don't get how Corey Graham gets them a 5th rounder and Breno only gets us a 6th. Breno's contract was $4.5 mil. WTF?

lsheldon

Reaction score
vonstout":2pe0xxlr said:
volsunghawk":2pe0xxlr said:

But KC and Houston both got 5th rounders for their FA's that signed 4.5 mil contracts. I don't get why we didn't get one for Breno. And Cincy got a 4th rounder and over the cap doesn't show anyone on the list they projected that even warranted a 5th let alone a 4th. I don't get it.

We did get a 5th for Breno. We got 6th's for Browner and McDonald. Cincinnati got a 4th for Anthony Collins who's APY was 6,000,000. Cutoff for 4th/5th for 2015 was $5,570,250 APY.

lsheldon

Reaction score
vonstout":54guipil said:
TeamoftheCentury":54guipil said:
SomersetHawk":54guipil said:

Arthur Jones - $6.6 mil
M. Oher - $5.0 mil
C. Graham - 4.075 mil

I don't get how Corey Graham gets them a 5th rounder and Breno only gets us a 6th. Breno's contract was $4.5 mil. WTF?

We got a 5th for Breno, and 6th's for Browner and McDonald.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Nice to see we did the best in the NFC West for Comp Picks....

NFC West Comp Picks

Seattle (4 comp picks)

4th Golden Tate
5th Breno Giacomini
6th Brandon Browner
6th Clinton McDonald

Santa Clara (2 comp picks)

4th Donte Whitner
7th Anthony Dixon

Arizona (1 comp pick)

7th Antoine Cason

St Louis (1 comp pick)

6th Chris Williams

naholmes

Reaction score
32 compensatory picks are awarded every year and the formula that is used is weird and unpublished. It's supposed to factor in player performance in addition to salary so it's somewhat subjective. I'm disappointed that Golden Tate didn't net a higher pick, than say Donte Whitner. Their salaries were close but Tate excelled for Detroit last season, arguably better than Megatron (definitely more consistent). If he had made the probowl then it could have made a difference because supposedly awards are factored into the equation.

The other weirdness is that although there are always 32 picks the rounds are not predetermined. For example, in 2014 there were four 3rd round picks awarded but in 2015 there were only three. You have to think that 2016 there will be more 3rd round picks with all the crazy contracts and the Seahawks are in line for one of those.

lsheldon

Reaction score
naholmes":3nu2ehh1 said:
32 compensatory picks are awarded every year and the formula that is used is weird and unpublished. It's supposed to factor in player performance in addition to salary so it's somewhat subjective. I'm disappointed that Golden Tate didn't net a higher pick, than say Donte Whitner. Their salaries were close but Tate excelled for Detroit last season, arguably better than Megatron (definitely more consistent). If he had made the probowl then it could have made a difference because supposedly awards are factored into the equation.

The other weirdness is that although there are always 32 picks the rounds are not predetermined. For example, in 2014 there were four 3rd round picks awarded but in 2015 there were only three. You have to think that 2016 there will be more 3rd round picks with all the crazy contracts and the Seahawks are in line for one of those.

Right now Overthecap.com is projecting 5 3rd rounders for 2016. The cutoff between comp pick rounds is heavily weighted to APY of players. And yes, Byron Maxwell is listed as a probable 3rd round comp pick for us next year.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
nepahawk":2v5tybw1 said:
Does anyone believe we will draft 11 players?
With that many picks, I see us moving around quite a bit.
I see us packaging picks to get the players that JS and PC have their eyes on.
The compensatory picks can't be traded.