Seahawks gauging trade market for Jeremy Lane, Alex Collins

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Can't imagine Lane or Kearse getting cut or traded, unless it is for some big signup - maybe SR. Both CB and WR depth would be too compromised to gamble on without some massive upgrade elsewhere.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":10y7fyks said:
to say that trading Lane might result in 1 to 2 losses? I have to agree with Seymour in saying I think that's stretching it a bit.

Basically, here's how I arrived at that:

1. Green Bay. McCarthy is going to match up Jordy Nelson on Griffin all game long. And probably iso him on the left, and run 2/3 WRs on the right. And Nelson is going to get close to 250 yards and 2+ TDs when that happens. It's not a stretch to think that if Nelson gets 15 one on one matchups with Griffin, we lose that game. We'll concede probably close to 30+ points and our record when we allow 30 is very bad.

2. Any one of the following 7-8 games. Possibly the Tennessee game on the road? Mariota is an emerging talent and in his third year is going to make some leaps. Although it would take additional poor luck to lose one of those games.

Going with the assumption that it'll probably take 10 weeks for Griffin to start making plays on the ball instead of just playing the man. Early on, he's been around the ball. He's in position to. But he's just not yet there where he can play the ball yet.

There is the flip side though. If he makes that leap and becomes a player who isn't just around the ball, but attacks the ball and flips the field. Then you have a situation where it doesn't matter who is the opposing QB, they are going to have to throw the ball to one of two evils. Which could just as easily turn potential losses into probable wins. And that kind of scenario usually involves teams at the top of the conference. Wins that matter the most in seeding.

Hawkscanner":10y7fyks said:
How about this though? For argument's sake, let's say the Hawks DID happen to deal Lane to the Jets as part of a package for Sheldon Richardson. What kind of an impact do you think subtracting Lane ... but ADDING a Sheldon Richardson to the DL would have? Adding a potential Pro Bowl talent like that to an already strong pass rush -- might that actually result in an additional win or two? Just a thought. :hmmmm:

I'd say the team added significant net quality. The addition of an interior rusher is really the last key element to completing this defense. Awesome at the edge rushing. Great in containment. Great at press coverage. What we don't have is that bird dog in the middle that flushes the QB into the rushing lanes of our ends. Even worse, we don't have the push that denies QBs the ability to move up in the pocket to avoid our DEs when they do win. There is a missing element in our pass rush that grants QBs a way to elude our rushers and that compromises their quality.

Richardson (an effective Richardson) doesn't just give us his singular production in the middle. It allows our ends to be more fully productive too. One player/one role that improves everyone else's production and quality all along the line.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1zj6rn7a said:
Hawkscanner":1zj6rn7a said:
to say that trading Lane might result in 1 to 2 losses? I have to agree with Seymour in saying I think that's stretching it a bit.

1. Green Bay. McCarthy is going to match up Jordy Nelson on Griffin all game long. And probably iso him on the left, and run 2/3 WRs on the right. And Nelson is going to get close to 250 yards and 2+ TDs when that happens. It's not a stretch to think that if Nelson gets 15 one on one matchups with Griffin, we lose that game. We'll concede probably close to 30+ points and our record when we allow 30 is very bad.

2. Any one of the following 7-8 games. Possibly the Tennessee game on the road? Mariota is an emerging talent and in his third year is going to make some leaps. Although it would take additional poor luck to lose one of those games.

Going with the assumption that it'll probably take 10 weeks for Griffin to start making plays on the ball instead of just playing the man. Early on, he's been around the ball. He's in position to. But he's just not yet there where he can play the ball yet.

There is the flip side though. If he makes that leap and becomes a player who isn't just around the ball, but attacks the ball and flips the field. Then you have a situation where it doesn't matter who is the opposing QB, they are going to have to throw the ball to one of two evils. Which could just as easily turn potential losses into probable wins. And that kind of scenario usually involves teams at the top of the conference. Wins that matter the most in seeding.

Hawkscanner":1zj6rn7a said:
How about this though? For argument's sake, let's say the Hawks DID happen to deal Lane to the Jets as part of a package for Sheldon Richardson. What kind of an impact do you think subtracting Lane ... but ADDING a Sheldon Richardson to the DL would have? Adding a potential Pro Bowl talent like that to an already strong pass rush -- might that actually result in an additional win or two? Just a thought. :hmmmm:

I'd say the team added significant net quality. The addition of an interior rusher is really the last key element to completing this defense. Awesome at the edge rushing. Great in containment. Great at press coverage. What we don't have is that bird dog in the middle that flushes the QB into the rushing lanes of our ends. Even worse, we don't have the push that denies QBs the ability to move up in the pocket to avoid our DEs when they do win. There is a missing element in our pass rush that grants QBs a way to elude our rushers and that compromises their quality.

Richardson (an effective Richardson) doesn't just give us his singular production in the middle. It allows our ends to be more fully productive too. One player/one role that improves everyone else's production and quality all along the line.

Good points. However, I disagree on Lane. He was terrible last season. Lane didn't help much against GB last year - http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400874651. Jeremy Lane is a good 3rd corner but that's about it. He's not a very good option at starting RCB. If he was, Shead would still be a backup at safety.

kidhawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":36fwgfoy said:
Can't imagine Lane or Kearse getting cut or traded, unless it is for some big signup - maybe SR. Both CB and WR depth would be too compromised to gamble on without some massive upgrade elsewhere.

Lane differs from Kearse in a major way. His contract for this year became guaranteed during the offseason, so either we pay it or someone else does. Kearse is only guaranteed if he's on the final roster. Cutting Kearse is an option. Cutting Lane would be crazy

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1loslb8x said:
Hawkscanner":1loslb8x said:

Hawkscanner":1loslb8x said:

Stopped reading after the first point. You know we can change things up too right. You know we can switch up the scheme. And you know the Griffin can make a play or two. Also there are 10 other guys on the field.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":xnvntq5p said:
Stopped reading after the first point. You know we can change things up too right. You know we can switch up the scheme. And you know the Griffin can make a play or two. Also there are 10 other guys on the field.
We'd cheat Thomas over to that side and leave Sherm on an island with his guy so that Thomas could double-team with Griffin.

I'm not even a rocket surgeon and I figured that one out.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
After watching Collins do his backfield jig, I"m not sure there's any market for him except for the local chapter of Scottish country dancing.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1r1mn0lr said:
Was Lane held out tonight?
Kind of think he might be already on the books. Kearse didn't go tonight either even though he's swapped starting with Richardson this PS. Even still, both are considered "starters" until we know otherwise. Wouldn't surprise me if they're both gone, but in the case of DB, it sucks losing Elliot. He and Thorpe made really good gunners last year and he was also depth at CB. It's still possible that Lane is traded though. His skills almost seem negligible compared to Shaq, Thorpe, Desir, and Brock. We've accumulated and weeded out a lot of CBs over the years and I actually think we have pretty good depth now. Same is true at WR. Lots of players of the same mold, but also kind of unique.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
With the addition of Coleman somehow I doubt it.

At this point with the team receiving multiple offers you wonder what the team is looking for in return?