Seahawks Files: RB Ricky Waters

keasley45

Reaction score
One of my favorite Hawks running backs. Although he only played here a short time, he brought an intensity and determination that, in my opinion, has only been matched by Beatsmode. Lynch had a different personality in that he didn't wear that intensity on his sleeve, but the end results were similar.

Ricky was a showman, flashy, not afraid to grab the camera. But he proved his worth on the field every down of every game.

Will never forget how quickly he got through a hole, how sudden he could be with his breaks, and how unafraid he was in taking on tacklers.

And the dude had great hands.

It's a travesty that TD is in the Hall and Ricky isn't. He was superior in many statistical categories, but I guess didn't have the choirboy image. Hope he gets in one day.

Enjoy

CPHawk

Reaction score
Has any team had that much talent at RB on one team, and not had success? I’d still take Green over Alexander and Waters in their prime. But 3 RB that would all be on a Pro Bowl at some point and the two back ups would be all pro eventually.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I could have wrote that post myself. Watters is my second favorite Seahawks RB of all-time. For all the things you mentioned and I always said about him that he played every single down like it was 4th and goal on the 5 yard line in the Super Bowl. LOVED Ricky Watters.

Somos doces

Reaction score
I could have wrote that post myself. Watters is my second favorite Seahawks RB of all-time. For all the things you mentioned and I always said about him that he played every single down like it was 4th and goal on the 5 yard line in the Super Bowl. LOVED Ricky Watters.
Completely agreed! But this post is about Ricky Waters.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ricky Waters is so criminally underrated it’s a travesty. He was a complete RB.

He always ran hard and was tough as nails, unlike Alexander who was a glider who was fast and shifty, Waters fought and usually got those tough inside runs.

He was a star in SF and was a huge part of their team success until the Hawks swiped him from them in FA.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Come to think of it, was Ricky's running style closer to Penny?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Ricky Waters is so criminally underrated it’s a travesty. He was a complete RB.

He always ran hard and was tough as nails, unlike Alexander who was a glider who was fast and shifty, Waters fought and usually got those though inside runs.

He was a star in SF and was a huge part of their team success until the Hawks swiped him from them in FA.
What? He was average in SF, had one 1000 yard season. then was an Eagle. Then came to Seattle, and ended up costing us an even more explosive RB. Holmgren gave Green away for a bag of popcorn.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
What? He was average in SF, had one 1000 yard season. then was an Eagle. Then came to Seattle, and ended up costing us an even more explosive RB. Holmgren gave Green away for a bag of popcorn.

Average in SF? And 'then was an Eagle' ... ? Seriously? That's your summary for three years where he eclipsed 1000 yards every year... and then three more where he did the same in Seattle? His low season output during that stretch was 1110 yards.

The dude was a perennial 1000 yard back . He ran for 950 in 13 games in SF in one of 2 seasons he didn't get to 1000 yards.

And he was perennially good for 50 catches a year. FIFTY catches a season from the RB position.

How many other RBs in the history of the league put up that level of production? Hint - not many other than the ones getting HOF consideration.

Green being traded had zero to do with Watters. Holmgren was just an idiot to let him walk.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Green had health problems in Seattle related to breathing, some allergy issues. He didn’t want to be here, and was traded.

He barely flashed while here but then blew up in GB. The trade was unfortunate for the Hawks but a huge gift for GB.

I stand by my earlier post about Waters he was hugely underrated and tough as nails. To me he was a complete RB.

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
Green had health problems in Seattle related to breathing, some allergy issues. He didn’t want to be here, and was traded.

He barely flashed while here but then blew up in GB. The trade was unfortunate for the Hawks but a huge gift for GB.

I stand by my earlier post about Waters he was hugely underrated and tough as nails. To me he a complete RB.
He also had a serious fumbling problem while here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Watters was the perfect example of "I hate that guy" then he comes to your team "I love that guy"

He played so hard when he was here, and was a damn good receiver. I wish more guys played as hard as Watters did.

I suspect many Santa Clara fans went thru the same thing with Sherm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
E
Watters was the perfect example of "I hate that guy" then he comes to your team "I love that guy"

He played so hard when he was here, and was a damn good receiver. I wish more guys played as hard as Watters did.
Exactly this. Hated his 'persona'. Couldn't stand his bandanas and eyeblack. Just wanted him to shutup. And then he came to Seattle...

The dude was a monster of a RB. And his on the field persona didn't match the genuinely kind dude he was off the field. A consumate pro.

Dude gave the game everything he had, on every play... and was happy to tell you about it after he lowered a shoulder into your chest on 3rd and short and knocked you on your ass.

Warner, Lynch and Watters... 1a, 1b and 1c for me. Love all 3 for different reasons. Wish we could have had Ricky here for a longer period.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he turned out to be a hell of a leader here. Maybe he just did some growing up. I know he took a lot of crap for his alligator arms thing in Philly.
But when he came here? We never saw any of that. He was tough as nails.

Good call on Curt Warner. He was an incredible, versatile back.

Slick

Reaction score
One of my favorite Hawks running backs. Although he only played here a short time, he brought an intensity and determination that, in my opinion, has only been matched by Beatsmode. Lynch had a different personality in that he didn't wear that intensity on his sleeve, but the end results were similar.

Ricky was a showman, flashy, not afraid to grab the camera. But he proved his worth on the field every down of every game.

Will never forget how quickly he got through a hole, how sudden he could be with his breaks, and how unafraid he was in taking on tacklers.

And the dude had great hands.

It's a travesty that TD is in the Hall and Ricky isn't. He was superior in many statistical categories, but I guess didn't have the choirboy image. Hope he gets in one day.

Enjoy

Perhaps a short time (4 years, 1 injured majority) but relative to his career he spent the longest time with the Seahawks. He was rolling just fine in 2001 as the featured back but got injured 5 games in. I was there for his last game as a Seahawk in Husky Stadium and he was rolling. His final year he had made an effort to lose some of the girth/weight he had put on for his initial years as the featured back and his quickness showed. Here's a little data that I pulled together to demonstrate just how much proportionately Rickey did in Seattle vs. his entire career and a little "what-if" should he have played a full season in 2001. The pro-ration is on the conservative side of estimate as I'm sure he would have got more receiving TDs than 0 as an example. Feel free to hack away at this.

EDIT: one could make the argument that, if elected to the HOF, he should be a Seahawk but I think his championship and production with the 49ers I'm guessing that makes better sense.

ANOTHER EDIT: statistically speaking what a career year he had in 2000 (his last full year in the league no less at the running back ancient age of 31)!!!
Watters

Last edited:

Slick

Reaction score
Average in SF? And 'then was an Eagle' ... ? Seriously? That's your summary for three years where he eclipsed 1000 yards every year... and then three more where he did the same in Seattle? His low season output during that stretch was 1110 yards.

The dude was a perennial 1000 yard back . He ran for 950 in 13 games in SF in one of 2 seasons he didn't get to 1000 yards.

And he was perennially good for 50 catches a year. FIFTY catches a season from the RB position.

How many other RBs in the history of the league put up that level of production? Hint - not many other than the ones getting HOF consideration.

Green being traded had zero to do with Watters. Holmgren was just an idiot to let him walk.
Uh, not average in SFO. Look at his receiving status in those sub-1000 yard rushing seasons
Uh, not average in SFO. Look at his receiving status in those sub-1000 yard rushing seasons and combine that yardage and it's a super-productive player. Plus out of the backfield in those years you basically had a 2nd running back in Steve Young so he had to share the wealth in rushing yards. 1993, for example, Steve Young had over 400 rushing yards. I wish a 49er fan would chime in here.

EDIT: 1993, not 1994 for steve young rushing