Seahawks eyeing Julio Jones *update: signed for Titans*

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spohawks":15zdtvet said:
I think a big factor that is being missed is that Jones has said he is not going back to Atlanta.

The Falcons have zero leverage in a trade.

If its a straight up trade...Jones for a draft pick...they should be happy to get 2023's 5th rounder.

He is walking no matter what, get something or get nothing. ZERO LEVERAGE!! He is 32, He could still just retire.

I don't know his contract structure (as in do they have to pay him even if he quits) but I would be interested to know how much the draft pick will effect the % the Falcons will pay of his remaining contract.

They have less leverage than they otherwise would, sure. But if they had no leverage, there wouldn't be multiple offers on the table from multiple teams. This is still a hall of fame receiver we're talking about.

Fade

Reaction score
Spohawks":c7hse34a said:
I think a big factor that is being missed is that Jones has said he is not going back to Atlanta.

The Falcons have zero leverage in a trade.

If its a straight up trade...Jones for a draft pick...they should be happy to get 2023's 5th rounder.

He is walking no matter what, get something or get nothing. ZERO LEVERAGE!! He is 32, He could still just retire.

I don't know his contract structure (as in do they have to pay him even if he quits) but I would be interested to know how much the draft pick will effect the % the Falcons will pay of his remaining contract.

2 things:

ATL doesn't need leverage when over half the league is trying to trade for him. A bidding war is going on currently.

ATL will pay nothing outside of eating the dead money, unless a team wants to give them even MORE picks. I don't see that happening now, with the ability to create cap space willy-nilly via voidable years. Teams will just do that if they have to, instead of giving up more picks.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Without a #1 draft pick, the way the Seahawks get this done is by offering to take on more of Jones' 2021 guaranteed salary than the other teams will. They could do this by making some moves like:

- Convert Wilson's 2021 salary to bonus (less trade flexibility next year, if that is a thing)
- Convert Wagner's 2021 salary to bonus (more painful to cut him next year if he gets hurt or his productivity drops off a cliff)
- Extend Adams (should definitely be doing this anyway)
- Extend Diggs (should probably be doing this anyway)
- Extend Duane Brown, maybe just with void years

Could maybe sweeten the deal with a player from an area of strength, like one of our young safeties (Blair, Amadi, Neal)

Jones is still a legit #1 receiver and pro bowl quality player. Jones is a freakish athlete, has been very durable up until last season (starting 92 out of 96 possible regular season games previous to 2020), was on pace for 1400 yards in 9 starts last season and actually had his highest career avg yards per target (11.1) and catch percentage (75%) in 2020.

As far as WR not being a need:

1) Eskridge is unproven, would still have a chance to make a big impact on special teams and 4 wideout formations, would give us better insurance in case of injury, and should have plenty of carries as well. The Rams had 40 carries by WR/TE last year. The Seahawks had 9. Eskridge will not be redshirting and will not be a wasted pick.

2) The Rams had five players with 60+ targets last year. Seattle only had two with more than 50. I'm guessing things will get spread around a bit more regardless of whether Jones comes on. Metcalf and Lockett got force fed in part because of the lack of depth at the position. Longer drives, more possessions time, and fewer 3-and-outs will give everyone a chance to eat.

Lastly - I'll just throw this out there - I could see Metcalf taking some snaps lined up inline as a TE in this offense - he has the size, strength, and aggression to block from there, and has the work ethic to develop decent technique. Would be interesting to see at the very least.

massari

Reaction score
Lol saw this on reddit

279jln4xpw271

Hawks would possibly be the first team since the 2008 NFC champion Cardinals to have a trio of 1,000 yard receivers.

Fitz 1,431
Boldin 1,138
Breaston 1,006

Tinamedina

Reaction score
toffee":1un5difs said:
Maelstrom787":1un5difs said:
Maelstrom787":1un5difs said:
I don't think its a wise move roster-wise and don't think Seattle has the capital to get it done.

That said, this could drive the price up for the eventual suitors, which is solid process.

I've since decided that this is a dumb viewpoint. I obviously understand this argument, but at the same time, this isn't some average WR1 we're talking about. This is Julio.

If Julio is truly worth less than a first rounder currently as has been reported, it's silly not to pursue. A combination of him and DK on the outside with Lockett on the inside and Eskridge rotating in as the fourth option/taking sweepy stuff is... not guardable. Also opens up the run game because the box simply can not be stacked.

One could also speculate that once the run game is opened up, it takes some heat of the OL.

or the OL could stop looking for a bailout and do their job.

oh yeah, go get julio jones.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tinamedina":3lu4ktnm said:
toffee":3lu4ktnm said:
Maelstrom787":3lu4ktnm said:
Maelstrom787":3lu4ktnm said:
I don't think its a wise move roster-wise and don't think Seattle has the capital to get it done.

That said, this could drive the price up for the eventual suitors, which is solid process.

I've since decided that this is a dumb viewpoint. I obviously understand this argument, but at the same time, this isn't some average WR1 we're talking about. This is Julio.

If Julio is truly worth less than a first rounder currently as has been reported, it's silly not to pursue. A combination of him and DK on the outside with Lockett on the inside and Eskridge rotating in as the fourth option/taking sweepy stuff is... not guardable. Also opens up the run game because the box simply can not be stacked.

One could also speculate that once the run game is opened up, it takes some heat of the OL.

or the OL could stop looking for a bailout and do their job.

oh yeah, go get julio jones.

The OL isn't looking for a bailout, and generally did their job fairly well in 2020. Yes, they can't block Aaron Donald, but no one can. That's why he's Aaron Donald. Main problem was inconsistency, but otherwise, they provided a clean pocket at a very acceptable rate. Need to get Russ going uptempo and out of the pocket so the drops aren't so predictable, though. Ball should be out by the time Russ has to bail, usually at that 3 second mark. Tempo and creative rushing is Waldron's MO, so this should be exciting.

The OL is just like any other unit. Personnel is an important, but regardless of personnel, they need to be put in a position to succeed. The 2020 Seahawks were harder on their OL than likely any other team in the league.

If you wanna see what a truly bad OL looks like, watch some 2020 Bengals film.

massari

Reaction score
If it takes a late 2nd to get Julio, and that's what makes Russ sign an extension, we should all be for that. Possibly three 1,000 yard+ receivers to go along with some solid TEs, RBs, and OL. All that's left if for Waldron to live up to the hype.

Larry Fitzgerald didn't start to noticeably decline statistically until he was 35:
age-32 season, 109 catches on 145 targets 1,215 yds
age-33 season, 107 catches on 150 targets 1,023 yds
age-34 season, 109 catches on 160 targets 1,156 yds
His YPR was down slightly though

Julio's $15.3M salary this year is fully guaranteed. Next year, only $2M of his $11.5M salary is guaranteed. In 2023, none of his $11.5M salary is guaranteed. This is an absolute bargain of a contract if he passes the physical and stays healthy for the most part.

Here's a good article on why Julio is worth it to the Hawks:
http://sportspressnw.com/2249193/2021/t ... o-seahawks

But if a Fletcher Cox or Gilmore become available, not sure they can turn those guys down unless they like the free agent DTs and CBs still left out there.

Rat

Reaction score
Would have been fun, but probably for the best. At least he's not going to the Niners or Rams.

And because I know it's going to come up, the fact that it didn't happen doesn't necessarily mean our interest was fabricated by the media. I'm happy our front office is always looking for ways to improve.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seahawks play the Titans in week 2. If Tre Brown and DJ Reed turn out to be the starting CBs, Jones and AJ Brown will have a field day just due to their size advantage. Not too mention Derrick Henry. That matchup doesn’t look good on paper now.

PNW

Reaction score
Glad we can put all this “trade for Julio” talk to rest. The lowest need on our team full of holes was WR. We still have to worry about resigning JA

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Keeping him out of the NFC was important, if we were not going to sign him.

Expected him to go to the Titans if he did not end up in the NFC.

So that is better than the 49ers.

Missed the opportunity because it was a chance to get better. But it isn't like I expect anything from this team at this point.

Let's just hope that Wilson stays happy. I thought getting Julio would do that for him. But maybe our new OC can keep him happy if Carroll doesn't get stupid and screw it up again.

Julio didn't end up in the NFC that is all that matters.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Thank goodness he went to the Titans.

Overpriced, wouldn't have been used properly - and would have created a locker room cancer IMO.

Can we please address the cornerback situation?

Let's not be frittatas ("the league" fans?) and put the money where it's needed.

I just told someone just before i heard the news that Russ doesn't need Julio to read and execute checkdown routes - which IMO was his biggest problem last year! Use the people that we've got, and execute the new wonderful magical OC's TE plays and trickery first!

:0190l:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Wonder if Tennessee is taking on the entire salary. Looks like they are. Any Seahawks deal would only have happened if Atlanta ate a bunch of the salary.

Jville

Reaction score
Titans are going to have to make some kind of cap adjustment to make room. Maybe a conversion of salary into new signing bonus to be spread into void years. Along with a possible modification to the Julio Jones contract, Rodger Saffold might be an accompanying possibility.

Tennessee scores with the fans by adding a headliner. Interesting development.

Rat

Reaction score
You already need like 20 men in the box to stop Henry. That team is going to be ridiculous next season.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Rat":3689nh5k said:
You already need like 20 men in the box to stop Henry. That team is going to be ridiculous next season.

Nah, Henry had over 370 carries last season he will be out with an injury by week 5.

This deal says more about Cory Davis than anything else. A complete bust for the 5th overall pick.