Seahawks 2023 mock draft: John Schneider edition

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I took the trade of Walker as you just putting a mock draft together and not really giving it much thought. In reality I could see a RB being drafted in rd 3-4. In Seattles offense I do like a solid 2 man rotation/good back up last year Hawks had a serious injury bug at RB

When you look at some recent teams that went far in the playoffs very few had stud RBs on their roster
I've done a lot of mocks and most had solid RBs drafted somewhere outside of the 1st round. Yes, a solid back up to Walker should be targeted in the draft. I really like either of the mid-round RBs from TCU and UCLA for the Seahawks.

I think the 2nd and 3rd round is the sweet spot for rookie RBs. Walker for me was a 1st round talent, but again RBs don't have the positional value like they did back in the day.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I agree with your take on Bijan, but great/elite RBs nowadays rarely get drafted in the top-15. RBs have a short shelf life and tend to miss a good number of games. Bijan talent wise is a top-5 player, but probably won't get drafted in the top-15, unless a talent loaded team like the Eagles take him. IMO 1st round rookie RBs should be the last piece of a puzzle to a team that has been rebuilding for a few years.
There hasn't been one as good as Saquon in a while. Saquon was drafted second overall. It's not like that was that long ago.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
There hasn't been one as good as Saquon in a while. Saquon was drafted second overall. It's not like that was that long ago.
Yeah, and how has that worked out for the Giants franchise????

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
One question mark suffices.

He's pretty good, I'd say.
"pretty good" should be the bare minimum standard for the #2 overall pick especially if he plays a low positional value. The Giants will not re-sign Barkley this year. Again because of positional value.

My question was, "how has that worked out for the Giants franchise". And you just had a smart aleck response to the question. No thought or facts behind your opinion.

The Giants passed on a franchise QB to select Barkley. This is why RBs will not be drafted in the top-10, unless the team already has a stacked playoff roster like the Eagles.

Last edited:

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I quite like this one, all the trades were made against PFF's algorithm nor sure it will work in real world, but nevertheless, we will have additional pick in 2024: 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 7th rounds. And yet, we will address our defense tackle, edge rushing and center needs.

View attachment 57738
I really like Tippman… hope we snag him

nanomoz

Reaction score
"pretty good" should be the bare minimum standard for the #2 overall pick especially if he plays a low positional value. The Giants will not re-sign Barkley this year. Again because of positional value.

My question was, "how has that worked out for the Giants franchise". And you just had a smart aleck response to the question. No thought or facts behind your opinion.

The Giants passed on a franchise QB to select Barkley. This is why RBs will not be drafted in the top-10, unless the team already has a stacked playoff roster like the Eagles.
My response wasnt smart alec. It was curt. That passive-aggressive question mark $hit is aggravating.

The dude was just an MVP candidate this year that helped carry that team to a playoff win. He was certainly a better pick than Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.
He was successful pick by a lot of measures.

How do you know the Giants won't re-sign him? You're stating conjecture as fact, here.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
Lots of trades, but I would be ok with this. Covers front 7 options pretty good and good offense possibilities. Did not force any trades. 3-1st, 4-2nds

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
My response wasnt smart alec. It was curt. That passive-aggressive question mark $hit is aggravating.

The dude was just an MVP candidate this year that helped carry that team to a playoff win. He was certainly a better pick than Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.
He was successful pick by a lot of measures.

How do you know the Giants won't re-sign him? You're stating conjecture as fact, here.
We will have to agree to disagree on RBs draft positional value and on Barkley.

nanomoz

Reaction score
We will have to agree to disagree on RBs draft positional value and on Barkley.
Cool.

I do get the whole "you can get good RBs later in the draft" perspective. I agree with that. But in my mind, that sentiment isn't the same thing as "you should never draft a RB before round X." And the earlier sentiment has sort of grown into the later one in recent years. And that, to me, is restrictive.

Some RBs are special, and only QBs touch the ball more. Their shelf life is definitely shorter, but five-to-eight years of a RB that defenses have to gameplan around is a pretty great asset. And running the ball really well is one of the best ways to protect your QB.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Cool.

I do get the whole "you can get good RBs later in the draft" perspective. I agree with that. But in my mind, that sentiment isn't the same thing as "you should never draft a RB before round X." And the earlier sentiment has sort of grown into the later one in recent years. And that, to me, is restrictive.

Some RBs are special, and only QBs touch the ball more. Their shelf life is definitely shorter, but five-to-eight years of a RB that defenses have to gameplan around is a pretty great asset. And running the ball really well is one of the best ways to protect your QB.
I like your thought process with when it comes to RBs. All GMs have different ways to build a team. I'm not too far off on how you think of RBs. I would possibly draft one every 5 years in the bottom of the 1st round, if I thought he was a top-10 overall prospect in the draft. But more than likely not resign him after his rookie contract has expired. Or flip him for a 1st round pick before his last year of his rookie contract.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Just curious about a few defensive players you would like at #30? I also would prefer a defensive player at #30, but this mock was focused on BPA.
I think you did a good job. Its tough to impossible to try and guess what the Seahawks are thinking .
BTW.... If the draft we're to go down as you made it, I'd be a very happy man.

I wonder where the OP had that LB/hybrid from Arkansas going in the draft? I think he'd be a great acquisition.
Who on here think Seattle needs to bring in more LBs for the switch?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Only Seahawks fans are taking Kancey so high. Most mocks have him after 20, meaning we could just not trade and get him at 20.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
This was defiantly not one my favorite mocks I have done. It was better off collecting dust back in the February posts.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
"Most mocks" becomes irrelevant once players start going off the board. I've never seen a mock that actually turned out correct. Even a couple players chosen (in real-time) at different slots than "expected" throws off the entire mock.