Seahawks 1st round 2023

TwilightError

Reaction score
#5 CB Devon Witherspoon
#20 WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba

I was hoping for QB but expecting D-line and O-line. Instead we got the best CB and the best WR of the draft. Quite a haul! Clearly they are committed to the Best Player Available strategy.

No trading down. What about up? Remains to be seen.

morgulon1

Reaction score

Post-Draft Analysis​

Saying 2022 fifth-round pick Tariq Woolen exceeded expectations last year is an understatement, but Seattle still allowed nine receiving touchdowns that gained 20-plus yards, which tied for the fourth-highest total in the league. Tackling was also a problem at times in Seattle, and the Seahawks allowed 6.1 yards after the catch per reception (second most in the league). Witherspoon's instincts, cover skills and physicality make him a perfect fit for Seattle. -- Muench

GemCity

Reaction score
I’m not for trading down this year unless we absolutely rake someone over the coals.

This is one of our richest drafts…ever. Bring on the D-Line, OG or Center, LB and cowbell-going-to-get-these-3-damn-yards-no-matter-what-run-yo-ass-over-RB and *let’s ride.

*Ahem…let’s go

Mick063

Reaction score
Players rarely finish their careers with the same team anymore. Best player available has never been more important than it is right now. I absolutely believe that the team just took the best players on their board. It doesn't mean they didn't want Kancey or Richardson or whomever. The players just didn't fall to them. In the long run, roster equity tends to find a way to pay off. To have players that other teams covet is not a bad thing. That is what the BPA ideology does for you. It comes with the caveat that you can't get attached to any given player and must be willing to let your favorites go if a younger, cheaper version arrives.

Regardless, valuable players are tradeable players. Belichek played that game for years while maintaining their dynasty. Richard Seymour comes to mind. Are you kidding me? Richard Seymour was a dominant stud. But the Patriots went younger and cheaper. And they got some pretty good return for Seymour. The team stayed young for years doing this.

Last edited:

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Kinda feel sorry for JSN. Got hurt, worked his way back to become the best receiver in the draft, then in the post-pick interview gets asked how much he looks forward to learning from the starters...

GemCity

Reaction score
Kinda feel sorry for JSN. Got hurt, worked his way back to become the best receiver in the draft, then in the post-pick interview gets asked how much he looks forward to learning from the starters...
Lol. I’m sure he’ll make his way into the lineup…fast like.

Bad interviewer!

morgulon1

Reaction score
So this is an honest question.

And the answer is no, I haven't watched him play. Is this guy supposedly the
Real dude? That kinda dude? I watched a little bit of the other wr (Flowers? )
That went to the Ravens and he looked quicker to my untrained eye and seemed
To have a little more "it" to him. I don't know if I'm making sense.

Worth it with the other positions needing help?

Scout

Reaction score

Lets just say that he is an upgrade over Eskridge. Meaning a more polished WR.

CanHawksFan

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Flowers as well. And he definitely looks extremely quick on tape (and is). But JSN's combine or pro day numbers (40, cone, etc.) were pretty much better across the board than Flowers. Take that for what you will.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Flowers as well. And he definitely looks extremely quick on tape (and is). But JSN's combine or pro day numbers (40, cone, etc.) were pretty much better across the board than Flowers. Take that for what you will.
Cool. I was just trying to get what people's take on him. Scrapper?clutch? possession style? I'm sure lots of post draft stuff will be a long shortly.

I'm not freaking out either way but that's because I didn't really track offensive players. Didn't think about it 😆 I'm sure he'll be a great Seahawk

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Great draft so far. Time to stock up on some beef tomorrow.

BamKam

Reaction score
It was unpredictable/surprising in a GREAT way. I wanted Carter, but if they feel like he is too big of a risk so be it. Witherspoon is an absolute beast and pair him with Woolen, Diggs, and hopefully Adams this secondary potentially could be violent and scary.

JSN was the best player on the board at #20 in my opinion as well. He is a top #10 pick possibly if he stays healthy. A+.

These past 2 drafts have been refreshing. No galaxy brain "We are so much smarter than everyone else" picks where they pick someone in the 1st round where other teams might have grabbed in the 3rd or 4th.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
PFF's take:

R1 (5) SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: CB DEVON WITHERSPOON, ILLINOIS

Pick Grade: Very Good

The Seahawks surprise everyone and take Witherspoon at No. 5 overall. The Illinois product was the Power Five's highest-graded cornerback last season. In press coverage for 107 snaps, he allowed just one yard in coverage on those plays.

R1 (20) SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE

Pick Grade: Elite

The Seahawks leave Round 1 with two of the top 10 players on the PFF big board. With a 91.7 PFF grade in 2021, Jaxon Smith-Njigba outproduced 2021 first-round draft picks Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson that year at Ohio State on a per-snap basis.

Mick063

Reaction score
It was unpredictable/surprising in a GREAT way. I wanted Carter, but if they feel like he is too big of a risk so be it. Witherspoon is an absolute beast and pair him with Woolen, Diggs, and hopefully Adams this secondary potentially could be violent and scary.

JSN was the best player on the board at #20 in my opinion as well. He is a top #10 pick possibly if he stays healthy. A+.

These past 2 drafts have been refreshing. No galaxy brain "We are so much smarter than everyone else" picks where they pick someone in the 1st round where other teams might have grabbed in the 3rd or 4th.
I really like Michael Jackson as well. I would love to see Witherspoon spend some time covering the slot with Jackson outside the numbers. Hell, I would much prefer that lineup over Adams playing linebacker. The secondary has become very versatile. There is a lot of situational packages and concepts that the team can employ because of all the safety and corner depth as well as the versatility of those players as a group. They are going to have to do this. There is a significant fiscal investment in the secondary. They have to get their money's worth out of it.

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
PFF's take:

R1 (5) SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: CB DEVON WITHERSPOON, ILLINOIS

Pick Grade: Very Good

The Seahawks surprise everyone and take Witherspoon at No. 5 overall. The Illinois product was the Power Five's highest-graded cornerback last season. In press coverage for 107 snaps, he allowed just one yard in coverage on those plays.

R1 (20) SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE

Pick Grade: Elite

The Seahawks leave Round 1 with two of the top 10 players on the PFF big board. With a 91.7 PFF grade in 2021, Jaxon Smith-Njigba outproduced 2021 first-round draft picks Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson that year at Ohio State on a per-snap basis.
+++++Post!

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I bet a lot of Hawks fans were hoping for more of a Philly Eagles type 1st round. They landed Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith.