Russell signs for 4 years 87.6mil (New Main Wilson Thread)

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":332fmziw said:
SoulfishHawk":332fmziw said:
? it's a 4 year extension, so 5 years total. Comes out to 17.8 mil per over 5 years.

His rookie deal wasn't renegotiated. It's basically a 4-year deal that starts after his rookie deal runs out. Thats $21.9M/year.

yes, it's a $21.9 million/year extension, but since they didn't rip up his rookie deal and made this extension, that final year becomes part of this deal for salary cap purposes, and we all know that the salary cap is what matters when it comes right down to it.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Bobby your turn!

Kam and MB get your butts back to work!

This is the first good news outside of the Graham trade for this offseason. Can we all agree this off season so far has royally blown. Still waiting on some PED suspension just to cap it so far.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kidhawk":20dbq0wh said:
DavidSeven":20dbq0wh said:
SoulfishHawk":20dbq0wh said:
? it's a 4 year extension, so 5 years total. Comes out to 17.8 mil per over 5 years.

His rookie deal wasn't renegotiated. It's basically a 4-year deal that starts after his rookie deal runs out. Thats $21.9M/year.

yes, it's a $21.9 million/year extension, but since they didn't rip up his rookie deal and made this extension, that final year becomes part of this deal for salary cap purposes, and we all know that the salary cap is what matters when it comes right down to it.

This is true, but also what everyone was expecting. It terms of ranking him among QBs by APY, it will be the $21.9M new money figure that will be used because that was the only part that was up for negotiation.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
The Outfield":3i9zk7vm said:
SoulfishHawk":3i9zk7vm said:

But what matters is his cap hit year by year. Next year, we'll have $21.9m or so (not $17.8m) on the books that will be taking away from potentially paying other players.

Not necessarily, it's gonna be $6.2 mil (prorated signing bonus) + base salary. Which is 56.6/4 or 14.15/yr, so 20.35 mil/yr for the last 4 years...but his base doesn't have to be the same every year and we won't know until the details are fully out what the cap hit will be year to year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1mewqebo said:
kidhawk":1mewqebo said:
DavidSeven":1mewqebo said:
SoulfishHawk":1mewqebo said:

This is true, but also what everyone was expecting. It terms of ranking him among QBs by APY, it will be the $21.9M new money figure that will be used because that was the only part that was up for negotiation.

obviously that's the number that people will judge the contract by, but it's not wrong to look at the bigger picture of how it looks against our cap over the next 5 years of the deal.

I'm waiting to see the deal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the final year be an escalated number (in the upper 20's) and their plan being to renegotiate the deal at that time and convert that into signing bonus.

To me, only 2 things matter about this deal

1) Keeping Russell Wilson under center for the foreseeable future

2) Structuring it to allow us some flexibility with the salary cap in future years.

We've succeeded in the first goal, now hopefully the structure will mean we succeeded in part two as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I guess it's all in how you look at it. I just don't see it any differently than 5 years for 87.6. He could have easily said "no, I want a brand new 5 year deal, with the final year of my rookie deal ripped up"
He clearly didn't do that.

Narniaman

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1k3d7ceq said:
SoulfishHawk":1k3d7ceq said:
Huh, I thought he was "greedy" ???

5 years total for 89 mil, less than 19 per. Plenty of guys, who are not at his level, are making more than him.
Total win for both sides. I wonder how the people who assumed they knew how much he was "demanding" feel now? Love it.

All that really matters is his "new money" which puts him neck and neck with Aaron Rodgers. While it helps Seattle for cap purposes to spread some of it to his last cheap rookie year, that really shouldn't be calculated into what Russ is making on his new deal, which averages $21.9M/year.

But I do think it's a fine deal for everyone.

Uh, no.

Russell might make $21.9 million a year. . . if he happens to meet all the performance requirements.

The only way you could say that he was making $21.9 million a year was if instead of $60 million of the $87.5 million being guaranteed, $87.5 million of the $87.5 million was guaranteed.

45Hawker

Reaction score
I should have taken Hansgruber's bet... :p

With this level of deal, there is added pressure on Wilson, IMO. No more slow starts! My heart can't take another season of often being behind until the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Contract seems generous, but overall fair. (if that makes sense). Glad he's signed.

taco40

Reaction score
I have believed all along that RW knows full well that if he breaks the bank, there's no $$ to surround him with championship caliber players that he can lead. He is able to demand a lot of money for endorsements, which there are many, His value is not necessarily in the stats, which are impressive. It's the preparation that he does himself and with his teammates. (Kearse, Willson and other "pedestrian" receivers, a ragtag hurting offensive line...) He makes everyone better around him. I believe he has played a big part in Lynch's continued success despite multiple nagging injuries to an older player, too. His value is in the leadership and fine off-field example in which he gives back to the community. (This has also rubbed off on Lynch, who appears to be focused more on a northern California community. ) With this contract, the organization can continue to bring in quality players that RW will make even better and in doing so bring in some MVP awards which will be well-deserved.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Narniaman":2pm3ra1o said:
DavidSeven":2pm3ra1o said:
SoulfishHawk":2pm3ra1o said:
Huh, I thought he was "greedy" ???

5 years total for 89 mil, less than 19 per. Plenty of guys, who are not at his level, are making more than him.
Total win for both sides. I wonder how the people who assumed they knew how much he was "demanding" feel now? Love it.

All that really matters is his "new money" which puts him neck and neck with Aaron Rodgers. While it helps Seattle for cap purposes to spread some of it to his last cheap rookie year, that really shouldn't be calculated into what Russ is making on his new deal, which averages $21.9M/year.

But I do think it's a fine deal for everyone.

Uh, no.

Russell might make $21.9 million a year. . . if he happens to meet all the performance requirements.

The only way you could say that he was making $21.9 million a year was if instead of $60 million of the $87.5 million being guaranteed, $87.5 million of the $87.5 million was guaranteed.

We're merely talking about APY, not guarantees. No one calculates the average by the guarantee.

This conversation started as a comparison of what he's making versus other quarterbacks. For that, the $21.9M/year figure is the one that will be cited most often.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So 3rd highest paid QB, after Rapelessberger?

That's great news, and definitely not the I WANT ALL GUARANTEED MONEY AND TO BE THE HIGHEST PAID PLAYER EVER! narrative we were told by all these media spin whores.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rz4d0p7 said:

That's great news, and definitely not the I WANT ALL GUARANTEED MONEY AND TO BE THE HIGHEST PAID PLAYER EVER! narrative we were told by all these media spin whores.

Thought I read he was the 2nd highest paid player in the NFL with more guaranteed than Rodgers....

just lazy memory though so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
This is what I am talking about.

I did not have time to read everyone's comments but this is awesome on all fronts.

Such a great start to training camp..... Gooooooooooooo Hawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2p6a6ig2 said:
Sgt. Largent":2p6a6ig2 said:

Thought I read he was the 2nd highest paid player in the NFL with more guaranteed than Rodgers....

$200,000 overall more money than Roethlisberger, same signing bonus and $29 million more in guaranteed money

The Outfield

Reaction score
Timmahawk":pdyf28nv said:
The Outfield":pdyf28nv said:
SoulfishHawk":pdyf28nv said:

But what matters is his cap hit year by year. Next year, we'll have $21.9m or so (not $17.8m) on the books that will be taking away from potentially paying other players.

Not necessarily, it's gonna be $6.2 mil (prorated signing bonus) + base salary. Which is 56.6/4 or 14.15/yr, so 20.35 mil/yr for the last 4 years...but his base doesn't have to be the same every year and we won't know until the details are fully out what the cap hit will be year to year.

Ok, thanks, I don't have the time to do the research and math so that's why I said "$21.9m or so"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3j0znenz said:
Hawkpower":3j0znenz said:
Sgt. Largent":3j0znenz said:

$200,000 overall more money than Roethlisberger, same signing bonus and $29 million more in guaranteed money

I was just repeating what I heard Clayton say this morning on KIRO.