RUSS IS NOT PROBLEM

hoxrox

Reaction score
keasley45":10sornio said:
CPHawk":10sornio said:
The problem is the same as if has been for years. The OL. It doesn’t need fixed in the draft, we need to pay FA this year to fix it.

the o-line was more than adequate this year. they will look worse than they are when you have a QB that chooses to hold the ball and not throw to the guys that are designed to be the open read.

Its not Pete mandating the hero ball. He's been vocal on more than one occassion about being patient and taking what the defense gives... actually not going deep constantly. This is Russ. And i think he was trying to force things all season. the offense might have been dialed back a bit but the plays still worked. Seems to me Russ chose to look for the long ball anyway rather than take the easy plays. If you watch the film you see it over and over again. Theres blame to go around, but to try to keep Russ clean in this is absurd. He was a huge part of the issue.

Pretty much this. Russ wants to be like Steph Curry, and make 3-pointers from half-court instead of the easy free-throw.

Granted, his strength is the deep ball, but without his legs, it is also what makes him one-dimensional.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
keasley45":c0jkygxm said:
CPHawk":c0jkygxm said:
The problem is the same as if has been for years. The OL. It doesn’t need fixed in the draft, we need to pay FA this year to fix it.

the o-line was more than adequate this year. they will look worse than they are when you have a QB that chooses to hold the ball and not throw to the guys that are designed to be the open read.

Its not Pete mandating the hero ball. He's been vocal on more than one occassion about being patient and taking what the defense gives... actually not going deep constantly. This is Russ. And i think he was trying to force things all season. the offense might have been dialed back a bit but the plays still worked. Seems to me Russ chose to look for the long ball anyway rather than take the easy plays. If you watch the film you see it over and over again. Theres blame to go around, but to try to keep Russ clean in this is absurd. He was a huge part of the issue.
Keasley..Great points and you even provide footage!
You didn't need to prove anything to me but guys like John
will never see reality but choose to blame the OC,OL,talent,PC
or all in one.
They would never blame RW or that cap bulging contract.
6 yrs ago I was a huge RW fan excited to see him grow
that never happened so I'm labeled a RW hater whatever ect.
If you can't read defenses or check down to wide open options
yes I will be a hater.If your limited because you can't see good
chunks of the field..Yes I'm a hater.
When you can no longer sandlot your way around your weakness
Yes I'm really a hater.

keasley45

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":161krhs7 said:
Own The West":161krhs7 said:
keasley45, we hear you. You're right. It is a problem.

darkvictory, I agree with you to some extent. Russ has always held on to the ball a long time looking for the big play. That comes with the territory. However, I think the Let Russ Cook thing ended about midseason when teams started running a lot of 2 high safeties against us and -- as keasley45 points out -- Russ refused to adapt.

This year Russ had the highest completion % and most INTs of his career. That to me speaks of holding on to the ball until things are 'perfect' and forcing it when it is not. I'd love to see some 3-step quick passing game next year to compliment our usual long-play, run around until the defense gets tired passing game.
Yeah, Russ has always held onto the ball a long time. I mean, some of that makes sense: he's probably got the best arm in the league. He goes deep better than anybody. Any offensive scheme not designed to take advantage of that is poorly designed.

The problem was both a combo of Ds adapting (like you said) and Russ forcing things way more. And then we didn't adapt.

Additionally, I think our scheme has never adapted to the fact that Russ doesn't read 'keep' on his read-option plays anymore. I think that's fine (and I think it improves the results on the few times he does), but we scheme our entire running game as if he does and it handicaps our RBs. We've got a Pro-Bowl FB, an RB who keeps his feet going on first contact as good as anybody, and yet we still line up for every running play as though our strength is the deception of Russell possibly keeping and I simply don't think it is anymore.

So much of that makes sense. You can gi back to the end of the Bevell era even and the piece Danny O'Neil wrote on what a new OC will need to do to get the offense back on track. His take based on his inyeractions with the team- get someone who will make Russ stop adlibing and work more within the system. It frustrated Pete when Bevell was here, it frustrated Bevell but he was too quiet to do much about it and it ultimately led to his firing.

Russ likes to freelance and this year, unlike previous years that tendency to go off script constantly led to way too many forced downfield throws.

Woukd also point out again what Doug Baldwin's take on the OC situation was just before he retired and Bevell was fired:

"The Seahawks issues ran deeper, longer and quieter. Carroll acted. The action likely will not please WR Doug Baldwin, who in a day-after interview at his locker, made clear his allegiance.
“You guys can blame Bev all you want to,” he said to reporters. “But the truth of the matter is, Bev is not the problem.”"

~from SportsPressNw

I dont think bevell was entirely to blame then. I don't think schotty is to blame now, and I don't think PC is putting together a mandated gameplan.

I love Russ. Hoping he can get things back on track.

AKSeahawks

Reaction score
We all know russell can ball but we also know he is a system QB and he is the perfect QB for pete carroll. He has great discipline in his decision making, he has the ability to stretch plays with his athleticism, and he is coachable who believes and will follow pete's philosophy and this team. Other than his highlights as a QB, he misses open players constantly, he's not the best pocket passer and doesn't step into the pocket to make a throw. Rather he runs it majority of the time or gets swallowed up for a sack, following Pete's philosophy of winning turnover battles. He's great at reading defense but from observation, he rarely changes/audible plays at the line, following the pete's and shotty's script. We know russ can do amazing things, we've witnessed it. Only way I see us progressing is give russell and shotty the reigns. Pete's game has become too predictable

CPHawk

Reaction score
Not getting Gordon back hurt this O. We don’t have anyone capable of running the short routes, which is what we needed yesterday. DK needs to work on his route running still.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
PNW":28dsrmuk said:
Ramfan128":28dsrmuk said:
Seattle's first TD came off a play where the Rams defense won - every route was covered and Wilson was under pressure. Props to DK for taking off - but Wilson moving to his left about to get crushed throws a perfect pass. It's sad that it'll be lost because of the outcome but that's a hall of fame play IMO.

He is definitely not the problem. I know he threw the pick 6 but if any QB was under center they also would have thrown a pick 6 there - it's a snap and throw play.

Replace Wilson with an average QB and this game probably would have been 30-3

While I do agree with some of your points, it’s not 100% the Rams would have won 30-3, the Seahawks could afford $35million in other areas strengthening weaknesses. But who knows

That's 100% true, I just think Wilson has been carrying this offense and the GM and Carroll for years now.

Metcalf and Lockett are probably the two best WRs he's had. OL has been garbage for years and the defense is slowly declining. I get that the Seahawks offense took a step back in the second half, but they also played the number one defense three times in their last 9 games.

Carroll like many coaches holds on to being right - he assembled one of the best defenses in NFL history - truth is, Wagner, Wilson and Sherman being late round picks turned HoFers is the main reason for that - Carroll and JS deserve the credit for drafting them, but as time has gone on it sure seems like that was the exception. Their drafting has been terrible and they've held onto overrated players out of loyalty, which is a sign of a coach not being able to admit he was wrong.

I don't mean any disrespect by this - just how I see it - the core just isn't that great. I think the media at times overrates Seahawk, Packer and Saints players because with their QBs, the teams always have a winning record. You see Shaq Griffin make some plays and Seattle wins 10 games, people think he's really good - he probably struggles to make our roster.

Adams is good but they traded two first round picks and had him covering Cooper Kupp?? I'm not sure what they saw with him in NY but if we had a QB that would have been even uglier.

I agree with the fans that want wholesale changes - it's hard to part ways with a Super Bowl winning coach, but Wilson has lifted this team for years and that play I referenced where almost every other Seahawks player lost their match up and he lofted a perfect pass for a TD across his body is the perfect example of that.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Russ is absolutely the problem. Look at the other games this weekend. Each of the other established QB's (Brady, Brees, Jackson, Allen) came out, had/have had strong games that have put their teams in position to win. Russ, meanwhile, had an absolute abomination, and he does this every year.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Keasley, over this entire weekend, you've contributed some of the best posts I've ever read here. In this particular thread, you made your points with great clarity, and even backed them up with video evidence.

I respect your knowledge and patience in attempting to explain your point-of-view in great detail to people who are either incapable, or unwilling to see or hear the points you're trying to make. And I will add, your arguments are very convincing.

I love Russ, but I have noticed some of these things myself. Corbin Smith also did a film breakdown recently about this very issue. Here's the link to that if you or anyone else is interested in watching it.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/film-breakdown-diagnosing-seahawks-passing-game-woes

I have issues with PC, Schotty, and our overall offensive philosophy, but you can't deny that Russ is not taking advantage of what the defense is giving him within the scope of our offense.

Just like to add that I really enjoy reading your posts, and I hope you will post here more often.

xray

Reaction score
Been watching all the games :and what I have to admit is the Hawks wouldn't go deep in post season anyway . The band-aid got pulled off early for us fans again .

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Ramfan128":zitlibx0 said:
PNW":zitlibx0 said:
Ramfan128":zitlibx0 said:
Seattle's first TD came off a play where the Rams defense won - every route was covered and Wilson was under pressure. Props to DK for taking off - but Wilson moving to his left about to get crushed throws a perfect pass. It's sad that it'll be lost because of the outcome but that's a hall of fame play IMO.

He is definitely not the problem. I know he threw the pick 6 but if any QB was under center they also would have thrown a pick 6 there - it's a snap and throw play.

While I do agree with some of your points, it’s not 100% the Rams would have won 30-3, the Seahawks could afford $35million in other areas strengthening weaknesses. But who knows

That's 100% true, I just think Wilson has been carrying this offense and the GM and Carroll for years now.

Metcalf and Lockett are probably the two best WRs he's had. OL has been garbage for years and the defense is slowly declining. I get that the Seahawks offense took a step back in the second half, but they also played the number one defense three times in their last 9 games.

Carroll like many coaches holds on to being right - he assembled one of the best defenses in NFL history - truth is, Wagner, Wilson and Sherman being late round picks turned HoFers is the main reason for that - Carroll and JS deserve the credit for drafting them, but as time has gone on it sure seems like that was the exception. Their drafting has been terrible and they've held onto overrated players out of loyalty, which is a sign of a coach not being able to admit he was wrong.

I don't mean any disrespect by this - just how I see it - the core just isn't that great. I think the media at times overrates Seahawk, Packer and Saints players because with their QBs, the teams always have a winning record. You see Shaq Griffin make some plays and Seattle wins 10 games, people think he's really good - he probably struggles to make our roster.

Adams is good but they traded two first round picks and had him covering Cooper Kupp?? I'm not sure what they saw with him in NY but if we had a QB that would have been even uglier.

I agree with the fans that want wholesale changes - it's hard to part ways with a Super Bowl winning coach, but Wilson has lifted this team for years and that play I referenced where almost every other Seahawks player lost their match up and he lofted a perfect pass for a TD across his body is the perfect example of that.
Ok...

The defense improved over the second half of the year, not declined and our D from the second half of the season (post Dunlap, Griffin/Adams returning from injury) is probably one of the best we've had over several seasons.

The fact that Griffin might not be in the same spot on one of the best Ds in the league as on the Seahawks roster does not mean he's not still really good... it just means you have a really good secondary.

Also, Adams just set the record for sacks for a player in the secondary despite missing multiple games. The idea that he wasn't worth every cent is beyond ridiculous.

And if you 'had a QB', that game is probably BETTER for Seattle. The fact of the matter is, you guys were probably lucky that McVay didn't trust Goff to do anything with the ball, otherwise we might actually have gotten a few takeaways and the clock control changes considerably. (That game-sealing touchdown almost entirely was setup by our D getting worn down and the fact that Seattle had all but written off that Goff was going to do anything during any moment of significance).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe PC is mostly the problem here. The issue about not having a short/middle passing game predates Wilson. PC was doing the same thing with Bates the OC in 2010 season with Matt Hasselbeck as his QB. It was pretty ugly then too. When he got the battering ram RB, Marshawn Lynch, they didn't need a short and middle passing game. Those yards they would get were accounted for by Lynch's running ability. Therefore, while totally not excusing Wilson for his part, I can see why this is more of PC thing than a RW/Schotty thing.

PC wants to run the same offense as he had when Lynch was here. He doesn't have Lynch and thus can't do that effectively. If they had Lynch in his prime or even Derrick Henry (who currently is the closest type of back to Lynch in the NFL), the Seahawks would have run away with yesterday's game. Lynch would have worn the Rams down. Lynch and Henry can get you 20-25 carries. Carson cannot. It took 6+ players to take down Lynch (every time he touched the ball). Not nearly the same with Carson and co. PC has failed to adjust. He's got great WRs. DK is a beast and can catch short/middle routes along with deep routes. DK caught a number of passes that moved the chains 5-15 yarders. So can Lockett, not as big in size as Dk, but he has hands like glue. He needs to use these strengths.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
hawkfan68":mtebi8lz said:
I believe PC is mostly the problem here. The issue about not having a short/middle passing game predates Wilson. PC was doing the same thing with Bates the OC in 2010 season with Matt Hasselbeck as his QB. It was pretty ugly then too. When he got the battering ram RB, Marshawn Lynch, they didn't need a short and middle passing game. Those yards they would get were accounted for by Lynch's running ability. Therefore, while totally not excusing Wilson for his part, I can see why this is more of PC thing than a RW/Schotty thing.

PC wants to run the same offense as he had when Lynch was here. He doesn't have Lynch and thus can't do that effectively. If they had Lynch in his prime or even Derrick Henry (who currently is the closest type of back to Lynch in the NFL), the Seahawks would have run away with yesterday's game. Lynch would have worn the Rams down. Lynch and Henry can get you 20-25 carries. Carson cannot. It took 6+ players to take down Lynch (every time he touched the ball). Not nearly the same with Carson and co. PC has failed to adjust. He's got great WRs. DK is a beast and can catch short/middle routes along with deep routes. DK caught a number of passes that moved the chains 5-15 yarders. So can Lockett, not as big in size as Dk, but he has hands like glue. He needs to use these strengths.
We still play our run game both as if we have Marshawn Lynch and like Russell still calls 'keep' on his read option plays and we handicap the RBs we do have for that reason.

We have a Pro Bowl fullback and even though Carson is no Marshawn, he's able to turn a no gain into 1 or 2 because he drives hard with his feet. But when we get to third and 1, instead of just lining up in a 'let's just get this yard' formation, we're full on shotgun with motion to Tyler and the not-at-all-really-a-possibility that Russ is going to take the ball. So does Carson have any momentum hitting that hole? Nope.

It's a philosophy that benefitted Marshawn because as strong as Lynch was, he also was very elusive laterally. So, he could line up like that and it played to one of his strengths (lateral movement) and his other strength (not going down just because one guy got there before he started moving) negated the other side. Add on the indecision that other teams would have when they thought Russ was equally as likely to pull it down and run himself and suddenly this is a fantastic system.

Today? It's a liability that hurts our RBs.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":3aojles6 said:
Ramfan128":3aojles6 said:
PNW":3aojles6 said:
Ramfan128":3aojles6 said:

Ok...

The defense improved over the second half of the year, not declined and our D from the second half of the season (post Dunlap, Griffin/Adams returning from injury) is probably one of the best we've had over several seasons.

The fact that Griffin might not be in the same spot on one of the best Ds in the league as on the Seahawks roster does not mean he's not still really good... it just means you have a really good secondary.

Also, Adams just set the record for sacks for a player in the secondary despite missing multiple games. The idea that he wasn't worth every cent is beyond ridiculous.

And if you 'had a QB', that game is probably BETTER for Seattle. The fact of the matter is, you guys were probably lucky that McVay didn't trust Goff to do anything with the ball, otherwise we might actually have gotten a few takeaways and the clock control changes considerably. (That game-sealing touchdown almost entirely was setup by our D getting worn down and the fact that Seattle had all but written off that Goff was going to do anything during any moment of significance).

I didn't mean to imply Adams wasn't worth it - just that having him cover Cooper Kupp was an awful use of his talent.

kf3339

Reaction score
Russ isn't the only problem, but make no mistake he is "ONE" of the problems.

When your salary takes up such a large percentage of the cap, you are expected to perform at or above that percentage in the games. He isn't coming close right now. Part of it isn't his fault. The line and game planning/play calling isn't helping the situation at all. But he still holds the ball too long and takes sacks rather than throwing the ball away. He isn't able to run around and give plays a chance to develop at this age. He is regressing faster than I expected, but probably because of wear and tear over the years.

I don't think he will ever be that GOAT player he envisioned so many years ago. I would settle for one more serious SB campaign year with a win to top things off. But that won't happen unless PC is gone and a truly gifted HC comes in who can bring a serious understanding of game planning, in-game adjustments and play calling as an offensive oriented HC. We need that to make RW truly great, but sadly he will probably be a shell of what he is even today by then.

getnasty

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":27rsgb55 said:
hawkfan68":27rsgb55 said:

We still play our run game both as if we have Marshawn Lynch and like Russell still calls 'keep' on his read option plays and we handicap the RBs we do have for that reason.

We have a Pro Bowl fullback and even though Carson is no Marshawn, he's able to turn a no gain into 1 or 2 because he drives hard with his feet. But when we get to third and 1, instead of just lining up in a 'let's just get this yard' formation, we're full on shotgun with motion to Tyler and the not-at-all-really-a-possibility that Russ is going to take the ball. So does Carson have any momentum hitting that hole? Nope.

It's a philosophy that benefitted Marshawn because as strong as Lynch was, he also was very elusive laterally. So, he could line up like that and it played to one of his strengths (lateral movement) and his other strength (not going down just because one guy got there before he started moving) negated the other side. Add on the indecision that other teams would have when they thought Russ was equally as likely to pull it down and run himself and suddenly this is a fantastic system.

Today? It's a liability that hurts our RBs.

Carson doesn't get enough credit for how good he's been over the last 3 years. Statistically he's very similar to Marshawn, unfortunately he just misses a few games a year.

Marshawn definitely benefitted from teams having to respect Russell running ability back in the day. I think they still run out of that look because it's comfortable for Russ though i have no evidence of that.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Ramfan128":32ckzftj said:
I didn't mean to imply Adams wasn't worth it - just that having him cover Cooper Kupp was an awful use of his talent.
I mean, it's a bit of a mismatch, but honestly, it didn't matter all that much. We just didn't respect your passing game (and with good reason). Our defense played fine right until the end when they were just so gassed from our offense going three and out over and over that they just started to break down.

We were within distance of you guys on the score board for way longer than our offense had any right to be because our D.

getnasty":32ckzftj said:
Carson doesn't get enough credit for how good he's been over the last 3 years. Statistically he's very similar to Marshawn, unfortunately he just misses a few games a year.

Marshawn definitely benefitted from teams having to respect Russell running ability back in the day. I think they still run out of that look because it's comfortable for Russ though i have no evidence of that.
He really doesn't, I think. He doesn't have that extra something that makes defenders scared he's going to turn it into 20, but Carson really does get yards that our line did not get for him. He gets those extras.

As for the way they line-up, I'm sure it is better for Russ, but when the situation is such that Russ's role is not much more than to hand the ball off and get out of the way, it really shouldn't matter how comfy it is for him.

getnasty

Reaction score
renofox":37c8lror said:
That picture shows alot. 6 guys blocking, 5 guys rushing. And one of the 5 is unblocked - AGAIN! We've been seeing that way too often, and we've been seeing it for years.

Why does this still happen so often?

Our defense is lucky to do this once a game. Other teams defenses seem to get it 4-5 times every single game we play.

Look at the picture again. There are 7 people rushing on 5. There are 7 people blocking not 6.

The free rusher is the nickel corner lined up on Lockett. When Lockett sees he's blitzing he runs a hot route as he should. As soon as the ball gets to Russ he needs to get it out, he doesn't.

The amazing thing to me is why Lockett would even choose to run a hot route when according to John63 Pete will not allow Russell to throw to that area of the field.

I'm not pinning everything on Russ because they are all to blame but when this play happens on live tv i guarantee 98% of this board is blaming the OL for not blocking, Shotty for not calling more short routes, over Pete for not allow Russ to throw short routes. Heck even after the all 22 film is shown we still have a poster saying only 5 guys were rushing instead of 7. I love it.

getnasty

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":3pnyjvt1 said:
Ramfan128":3pnyjvt1 said:
I mean, it's a bit of a mismatch, but honestly, it didn't matter all that much. We just didn't respect your passing game (and with good reason). Our defense played fine right until the end when they were just so gassed from our offense going three and out over and over that they just started to break down.

We were within distance of you guys on the score board for way longer than our offense had any right to be because our D.

getnasty":3pnyjvt1 said:

He really doesn't, I think. He doesn't have that extra something that makes defenders scared he's going to turn it into 20, but Carson really does get yards that our line did not get for him. He gets those extras.

As for the way they line-up, I'm sure it is better for Russ, but when the situation is such that Russ's role is not much more than to hand the ball off and get out of the way, it really shouldn't matter how comfy it is for him.

It would fairly predictable if everytime they ran the ball Russ was under center though.

keasley45

Reaction score
Listening to Hugh Millen right now and he's pretty much saying the same thing that a lot of folks on here are - that RW is basically failing to execute even basic reads and ignoring open receivers all over the field. He just went through several examples from Saturdays game that would have resulted in easy, move the chains plays and Russ flat out didn't even look, or missed the obvious reads on the play.

Love Russ, but it's time to be real about this and rather than going to the extreme of calling for people's jobs and wanting to blow up the whole team, just call this what it is right now. Russ simply not executing the offense.

And thats not to say that it's all him. The O Line can protect better. We can get better play from the TE position. Etc etc. But every team can say that. Basic truth. This team had enough to overcome those deficiencies because no team is perfect. But you can't evaluate strategy and playcalling accurately when you have a qb who doesn't execute the play properly. You can't get into a playcalling groove if you are constantly going three and out. And you can't be successful if you flat out ignore 1/3rd of the field.

The question is why is RW playing the way he is.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
getnasty":2hyp17co said:
It would fairly predictable if everytime they ran the ball Russ was under center though.
True, though in this case, I'm talking about moments when it's already pretty well known to the D that not only are we going to run but also it's not Russell who's going to do it.

Additionally, I think our offense should incorporate more rush plays from under center AND more traditional play action for Russell as well.

But putting Russ under center isn't the only idea here. There are also ways to line up more aggressively for rushing (modified pistol set for example with the FB lined up to the side of Russ as a lead blocker + RB lined up behind similar to an offset I or a two back shotgun formation with Russ flanked on both sides by, for example, Carson and Hyde) without putting Russ directly under center.

I mean the bottom line is, lots of teams end up on third and 1 and they line up in the most obvious rushing formation you can think of... and they get the yard anyway because they have the personnel to do it. I think, with a Pro-Bowl FB and the RBs we have, we have the personnel to do it, so let's incorporate it into our game plan and stop making every play look like it's a read option or draw play because I don't think the advantages of it (potential surprise) make up for the deficits of that scheme anymore.