Russ has ascended

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
After five weeks, some say Mahommes is the best QB in the NFL at the moment, others say Brady. Both answers are wrong, there is a new sheriff in town, first name Russell last name Wilson. This is not only the best football I've ever seen from Wilson, but perhaps the best QB play I've seen, period. Something has clicked with Wilson and he has become a machine.

Russell Wilson was always a good QB but he came with some significant drawbacks. Many of these were actually a result of Carroll's philosophy and his tendency to prioritize the toxic differential over all else. As a result of the offense and the strict controls that Carroll imposed, Russ wasn't able to properly develop as a QB. There is no proper pocket management for a play that takes 5 seconds to develop. We went through short burst where Wilson got to play a more conventional NFL offense, but those were brief. Wilson showed he had potential, but it is something that happened too infrequently for Wilson to develop those skills properly.

Last season we hired Schottenheimer, an NFL coordinator with a less than stellar reputation at OC. Schottenheimer still is not a good OC, but he has proven to be world class QB coach. The moment he came in to Seattle he took Wilson aside and told him he needed to work on his footwork and pocket presence. So Schottenheimer and Wilson went to work. At first it looked ugly, and Wilson looked clunky. He had errant footballs and we were wondering what happened to the Wilson we all knew and loved. Last season while good, Wilson had moments where he would just confine himself to the pocket and try to play like he was Brady. My guess is this was Schottenheimer at work.

This season Wilson has put it all together. Wilson's internal clock, and pocket movement even when under duress is a thing of beauty. Not only is he doing the traditional Brady moves, but he has found a way to combine concise pocket movements with his athleticism. His footwork is markedly improved, and we're no longer getting those random errant balls that we would get from Wilson from time to time. Instead we're getting extremely precise artillery shots that are near impossible to defend against.

Wilson has cut down on the mistakes and is playing in a more measured way. He hasn't taken one of his patented 20 yard sacks. His internal clock is the biggest improvement I see here. He knows when he can get away with scrambling. and he knows when the ball has to be out of his hands. He looks like a fundamentally different player this season in a good way. He really has worked on the QB fundamentals and it shows. As much as I hate Schottenheimers play calling, I really think he has elevated Wilson to the next level through his tutelage. This Russell Wilson is just insane on so many levels. It's like I'm watching the love child between Brees and Fran Tarkenton.

Russ has done all of this in a system that quite frankly isn't that great on offense.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I second everything on that except I see no reason to hate Schottenheimers playcalling. It was very suspect last season but this season he has put together a very balanced offense with almost 50/50 split on runs and passes. The Seahawks are no 1 in NFL on passing completion percentage. Without stellar running game, I dont think that is possible.

The man took Jets to conference final twice with Mark Sanchez as QB. Most kudos was given to the Jets oline back then but Schotty was optimizing the talent he had. This time the oline is not as strong but QB play is on a very different level. I am anxious to see where he can take this offense.

Tical21

Reaction score
Russ has been insanely good, last night he was god-like. Play after play. Just making plays. Gorgeous.

I also think it's time to give Schotty a little (a lot) of credit.

toffee

Reaction score
Lets run this by Sherm and company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northseahawk

Reaction score
100% agree. I've had my issues with wilson previous seasons, but this season, how could he not be the MVP already. Absolutely no protection, average to below average receivers vs the olines/wrs of Chiefs and Patriots.

gabel

Reaction score
Converts are the worst and Russ has converted me from a hater. He has been the best player on the field for every game he has played this year. Not sure if he wasn't used correctly before. Going forward next five years should be fun.

McGruff

Reaction score
Tical21":3tlkhwck said:
Russ has been insanely good, last night he was god-like. Play after play. Just making plays. Gorgeous.

I also think it's time to give Schotty a little (a lot) of credit.

Nope. Russ is overcoming the stupidity of schottenheimer.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's never played better imo. And that's saying something. Next level locked in. Are the people who didn't want him to be signed to that big contract still worried? You shouldn't be.