Running Game

sprhawk73

Reaction score
If we find a running game we could go all the way.

But what is the problem? O line protection seems to have improved.

So what do you think, is it the RB's, run blocking, coaching or something else?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
What I have learned so far this season is that we should have kept Collins over Lacy. Lacy brings nothing to the table for us, absolutely nothing!

Seymour

Reaction score
Blitzer88":95pemhld said:
What I have learned so far this season is that we should have kept Collins over Lacy. Lacy brings nothing to the table for us, absolutely nothing!

You would have to admit you are wrong to do that.

That does not come easy with this staff.

Carson getting hurt brings this skeleton right out of the closet just in time for Halloween.

You cannot put it all on the oline when Carson did what he did under the same conditions. That said, the oline does have a pretty big role in this.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Blitzer88":fpej9x9c said:

I would have almost agree with this except that if you watch Russ's bomb to McEvoy, Lacy lays a textbook smack on an approaching rusher, and his big ass clogged the line there. I didn't key on Lacy anytime in particular otherwise, so couldn't tell you his overall pass blocking performance, but I would have to think based off what I saw on that one single play, it's pretty effective.

Probably stating the obvious also but do you really think AC would be any more effective considering the run blocking? Honest question, not smartass rhetorical speak.

Also, with Carson in the stable at the time, AC had no role left at all and in PC's mind back then, Lacy would be able to initiate contact at least a little past the LOS instead of having to shed tacklers 1/2 yard deep every down. Makes a huge difference in outcome, even beastmode struggled MIGHTILY when getting hit at LOS. The big bodies need that extra split second to get it going.

But yeah, I'm a huge Prosise fanboy, I've stated numerous times throughout the forum that he will open up the playbook and add a dimension defenses cannot account for, and after CJ comes back Lacy should be depth only. He should be the everydown with JD as 3rd down back and if CJ can't stay healthy in that role, can his ass and cut the losses. But until then I think Lacy does have value in play action because I have seen him ferociously block.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
sprhawk73":186mhio1 said:

Yes

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Russell can make up for 1-2 of the linemen missing their blocks on pass plays.

In the run game? You need at least 4, if not all 5 linemen to at least do a mediocre job on the run play for it to be successful.

Brock talked about the run game this morning, he said he's never seen a game where literally EVERY linemen got beat on all 17 run plays yesterday.

I have no idea what the answer is, but I agree we gotta figure it out if we want to be a serious playoff contender. Can't be one dimensional in the playoffs.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z75n3q9c said:
Russell can make up for 1-2 of the linemen missing their blocks on pass plays.

In the run game? You need at least 4, if not all 5 linemen to at least do a mediocre job on the run play for it to be successful.

Brock talked about the run game this morning, he said he's never seen a game where literally EVERY linemen got beat on all 17 run plays yesterday.

I have no idea what the answer is, but I agree we gotta figure it out if we want to be a serious playoff contender. Can't be one dimensional in the playoffs.

Blocking would be a good place to start.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As high as we are today coming off a game for the ages, the truth is, without a running game, nobody can honestly say with a straight face that this team is going to go to the Super Bowl this year let alone win it. As amazeballs as my man Russ is, you simply cannot be one dimensional heading into January in this league and expect to go far.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Aros":68ysod1h said:
As high as we are today coming off a game for the ages, the truth is, without a running game, nobody can honestly say with a straight face that this team is going to go to the Super Bowl this year let alone win it. As amazeballs as my man Russ is, you simply cannot be one dimensional heading into January in this league and expect to go far.

This. One dimensional teams exit in the playoffs.

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
sprhawk73":uriyn01y said:

I feel that most teams can contribute their success (or lack of ) to the following breakdown. A good example of this is how well Alex Collins has played this year behind a good OL while he did very little with us. Of course an amazing RB can get extra yards with a horrible OL.

Run Blocking - 80%
RB - 15%
Play Calling- 5%

It's been great to see us abandon our non existent running game. In the past few years our run game has been horrible but we stuck to a balanced Run/Pass game. I know PC has always preached how a balanced offense is the formula for success but lets face it, with an OL that can't run block, 3 running backs that can't run, and one of the best QBs in the league...we should continue with the passing game.

RCATES

Reaction score
I've never seen a O-Line switch the way ours has this year. We were decent at run blocking but very poor at pass protection. Now were slowly becoming ok at pass protection but terrible at run blocking. Cable just needs to go.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
From someone who does not know the finer points of blocking and o-line play, if the coaches were willing to do so, is there any way to simplify the scheme to make it simpler for our linemen? I just find it so hard to believe that all those whiffs are just physical. Is there a mental part of the game where they are thinking and then reacting too late where you can make it easier? Sort of like a 1 read passing game for a QB?

iigakusei

Reaction score
Is it that the ZBS is too difficult? Could it be that simple?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I posted in the other run game thread but the Seahawks have a new rb coach this year - Chad Morton. That could be factoring in some of the running game challenges too. New coaching style, etc. Sherm Smith was the rb coach the past few seasons.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Our o-line has not been good

The focus of improving our O-line, as well as the tangible improvements in actual play, has been on protecting our franchise QB; the run game has been neglected. There are no holes to run through and we don't have beast mode breaking tackles to compensate.

Our offensive run calling is very vanilla and obvious; for years we have lined up and run it at teams with success. That was with a better run-blocking o-line and a tougher back.

Now that our line has improved in pass protection I imagine we will start to see them work more on their run blocking. Better late than never.

mikeak

Reaction score
sprhawk73":2xqxsk0w said:

We faced one of the best run stopping teams in the league

What they lacked is their pass rushers Watt and Mercilus

Despite lacking their two best pass rushers their DL basically all got the highest scores all year by PFF

Our O-line didn't perform great, it was overmatched completely for run-blocking

WmHBonney

Reaction score
iigakusei":22e0hebi said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ditch the scheme.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1jyb084j said:
iigakusei":1jyb084j said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ditch the scheme.

So am I to understand, if you zone block, your blocker is just waiting for someone to block... which means ultimatum, your runner has to find away around the blocker as well as the tackler?

Hawks46

Reaction score
sprhawk73":6pyb1c40 said:

I think our run schemes are entirely too complicated. Young players have a hard time getting it and then improve a lot with experience. This includes OL and RB.

You saw the end of 2015 when we went with a quicker passing scheme and some power/man blocking concepts our offense couldn't be stopped, unless they stopped themselves with mistakes. We both ran and passed the ball equally well.

Latest posts