Running Game in 2022

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Let's look more closely at the numbers during the height of the team's elite years and focus on the contribution that Russ made to the rushing stats.

In 2012, the team averaged 160 yd/game (3rd overall). Russ averaged 30 yd/game. Without Russ, the delta = 130 yd/game.

In 2013, the team averaged 135 yd/game (4th overall). Russ averaged 35 of those. Delta = 100 yd/game.

In 2014, the team averaged 170 yd/game (1st overall). Russ accounted for 55 of those. Delta = 115 yd/game.

In 2015, the team averaged 140 yd/game (3rd overall). Russ, 35 of those. Delta = 105 yd/game.

Without Russ' contribution, the team's rushing average/game would be more the average of the league, ranking the team more in the #14 to #18 overall instead of in the Top 5.

Hoping for 150 yd/game without the benefit of a running QB is fairly unrealistic. Not saying it can't happen just that it's a stretch.
Nice research, and I stand corrected. I was influenced by Penny's last few games when he average close to 150 yards by himself. For coming season, both Geno and Lock could run some, obviously not at young Russ's level, perhaps 10-15 yards per game? To get 150 yards per game, we need rushing game 2022 to operate on 2012 level!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Let's look more closely at the numbers during the height of the team's elite years and focus on the contribution that Russ made to the rushing stats.

In 2012, the team averaged 160 yd/game (3rd overall). Russ averaged 30 yd/game. Without Russ, the delta = 130 yd/game.

In 2013, the team averaged 135 yd/game (4th overall). Russ averaged 35 of those. Delta = 100 yd/game.

In 2014, the team averaged 170 yd/game (1st overall). Russ accounted for 55 of those. Delta = 115 yd/game.

In 2015, the team averaged 140 yd/game (3rd overall). Russ, 35 of those. Delta = 105 yd/game.

Without Russ' contribution, the team's rushing average/game would be more the average of the league, ranking the team more in the #14 to #18 overall instead of in the Top 5.

Hoping for 150 yd/game without the benefit of a running QB is fairly unrealistic. Not saying it can't happen just that it's a stretch.
That is what made Russ..His legs to break cover-2 zones.
Now that we have QB's that can see and use the underneath
and middle.I think the running game will be just fine by just
taking what the D is giving up..No need for the hero crap.

Own The West

Reaction score
Seattle will be running into stacked boxes the entire season. Opposing defenses will be begging Seattle to throw against them.
Which of course is just fine. We're not going to be a one-dimensional, all-or-nothing offense this year. I'm looking forward to us taking what's given on offense. It's going to be awesome.

Back on topic: I see us going with Penny and Walker in heavy rotation, with Homer and Dallas making spot appearances. I'll admit though, I'm not a big fan of Homer -- he's too light and goes down too easy. I like Dallas' running style better, but it looks like he's not picked up the protection side of the game. Someone said Homer's put on some good weight this offseason, and perhaps Dallas has finally grokked the position. Could be a really solid room.

Edit: From an article I read. Definitely yoked up from his rookie year!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
So long as our pass/run offense is balanced the defense will be playing a guessing game. If they guess right we'll see some 3 and outs. But if defense is playing a guessing game that is advantage offense and we should prevail overall. You don't need a superstar QB to win at that game.

Most teams' defense these days were designed to stop the passes, since teams' don't run a lot anymore. We might be able to leverage that by running with our backs.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Which of course is just fine. We're not going to be a one-dimensional, all-or-nothing offense this year. I'm looking forward to us taking what's given on offense. It's going to be awesome.

Yeah those 4 to 6 wins are going to be awesome for sure.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

Back on topic: I see us going with Penny and Walker in heavy rotation, with Homer and Dallas making spot appearances. I'll admit though, I'm not a big fan of Homer -- he's too light and goes down too easy. I like Dallas' running style better, but it looks like he's not picked up the protection side of the game. Someone said Homer's put on some good weight this offseason, and perhaps Dallas has finally grokked the position. Could be a really solid room.

Edit: From an article I read. Definitely yoked up from his rookie year!

He sure has gain lots of muscle! 1653349148525

GemCity

Reaction score
Competition at RB now and not a “waiting his turn” thing? I see Penny killing it as our #1 back.
That is, if he can stay on the field.
Never mind. He’s already missed some OTA with a hamstring issue.

Oh…and I thought Russ was the only QB in the NFL that needed a strong run game?

Chawker

Reaction score
We need to run 1 draw play per quarter in the first 4 games. 3rd and 5 to 3rd and 8 just to keep them off balance, same with a short slant on first downs.

BlueTalon

Reaction score

While all of that is a good observation, it is neither safe nor fair to assume those yards would have just not been gained at all on the ground if the QB had not run for those yards. (It's not safe/fair to assume anything at all about what might have happened, really.)

AgentDib

Reaction score
We also spent a 2nd round pick on Walker, who was good at yards after contact.
While this is true, it conveys an image of a RB like Lynch who just runs people over up the middle. KW9 is much more of a contact avoider/home run threat, and he broke most of those tackles running through arm tackles after juking linebackers. He's a much better comparison to Penny as a constant threat to break off huge runs if he beats an initial defender. If he ends up working out he's going to have a bunch of 50+ yard TD runs.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
While this is true, it conveys an image of a RB like Lynch who just runs people over up the middle. KW9 is much more of a contact avoider/home run threat, and he broke most of those tackles running through arm tackles after juking linebackers. He's a much better comparison to Penny as a constant threat to break off huge runs if he beats an initial defender. If he ends up working out he's going to have a bunch of 50+ yard TD runs.
Lynch was a generational talent, Walker has lots of moves, but Walker is not Lynch.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Lynch was a generational talent, Walker has lots of moves, but Walker is not Lynch.
Walker could turn out to be a generational talent - or not. We don't know yet. But even if he does, he will be different from Marshawn.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Seattle will be running into stacked boxes the entire season. Opposing defenses will be begging Seattle to throw against them.
With our group of ball catchers? It doesn't take the second coming of Peyton Manning to beat stacked boxes. Just one tall enough to see the middle of the field.

keasley45

Reaction score

If Russ hadn't contribute those yards, they wouldn't have by default have been zeros. Those plays would have either been passing yards or rushing yards in some other fashion... runs by another qb, rb, or like I said, passes. So it's not as easy as simply subtracting the qbs rushing stats.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If Russ hadn't contribute those yards, they wouldn't have by default have been zeros. Those plays would have either been passing yards or rushing yards in some other fashion... runs by another qb, rb, or like I said, passes. So it's not as easy as simply subtracting the qbs rushing stats.
I was simply pointing out that when Seattle was at or near the top of the league in rushing yards/game, Russ' contributions with the RO early in his career vaulted the team higher in the rankings. No more... no less.

keasley45

Reaction score
I was simply pointing out that when Seattle was at or near the top of the league in rushing yards/game, Russ' contributions with the RO early in his career vaulted the team higher in the rankings. No more... no less.
Agree. I wish he'd never stopped keeping it. It was part of what made us and him so dangerous.

Chawker

Reaction score
Walker could turn out to be a generational talent - or not. We don't know yet. But even if he does, he will be different from Marshawn.
How can you say Walker will be a success when he hasn't even touched the ball once in a game. Wait until he has played a game or two first.