Rumor: Hawks To Make Serious Run At Hargrave?

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Signing him and bringing back Bobby Wagner improves the D.

he Seattle Seahawks have made no secret about their desire to bolster the team’s defense this offseason, and Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Javon Hargrave has been consistently labeled as a top fit. Heading into free agency, Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport projected Hargrave to sign a three-year, $61.2 million contract with the Seahawks on a deal with $40.25 million of guaranteed money.

“There will be no shortage of teams with ample cap space who could have interest in Hargrave, including the Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears and Houston Texans,” Davenport wrote on February 23, 2023. “But we’re talking about ideal landing spots here, and there’s another destination that could be even more appealing for the soon-to-be 30-year-old.
“The Seattle Seahawks made the playoffs in 2022, but they did so less because of the defensive line than in spite of it. Seattle was 30th against the run last season and was consistently beaten up the middle.” The good news is Seattle is among the NFL teams with the most cap space to spend this offseason with a projected $27 million, per OvertheCap.com. The Seahawks must solidify the quarterback position and some of this cap space could go towards a new long-term deal with Geno Smith. Traditionally, Seattle has not been aggressive in free agency under Pete Carroll and John Schneider. Things could change this spring with a young roster that has already tasted the playoffs.

Reactions: FPD

RockinHawks

Reaction score
While I think Hargrave is a stud...that's a lot to pay one player who's already 30 years old. I'd pay that much $ for a 27 or 28-year-old who will end the deal at 30 or 31...not start a three-year deal at that age.

Also:

Heavy.com = 🤮

QWERTY

Reaction score
Yea pass on the age.

Would rather have

Tremaine Edmunds or Zach Allen.

But definitely not overppaying Zach Allen. more like 15-16mill per year.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
John Schneider has gone on record as saying that he will never make an outside player the highest paid player on the team again. (He referenced how doing that with Percy caused a lot of issues on the team.) So unless he's changed his mind, this is either BS, or Geno is going to be the highest paid player.

I wouldn't mind a signing like this. But I'm not sure we're going to see it.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I expect some cuts and some street agent signings before the draft. You can't go into the draft with obvious holes to fill because it truly limits your options of who to draft.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't think we have the cap space for that kind of deal. Only $24m currently, if they make cuts/extensions and get another $20m, they have $44m. Still no QB on the roster. Have to save $15m ish for the rookies and another $5m for in season veteran signings. That leaves $28m to sign a QB and fill out the roster holes, such as C and LB.

I don't expect any major signings and also a reason I'd rather sign Lock to a cheap deal and draft a QB.

massari

Reaction score
John Schneider has gone on record as saying that he will never make an outside player the highest paid player on the team again. (He referenced how doing that with Percy caused a lot of issues on the team.) So unless he's changed his mind, this is either BS, or Geno is going to be the highest paid player.

I wouldn't mind a signing like this. But I'm not sure we're going to see it.
Metcalf makes $24M

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Just a heads up:

This article is from Heavy, which is a clickbait publication that gets traffic by making speculation articles for every free agent and wording it as news.

Jville

Reaction score
Just a heads up:

This article is from Heavy, which is a clickbait publication that gets traffic by making speculation articles for every free agent and wording it as news.

Heavy (headquartered in New York City) does no original reporting. Heavy is known for their fast five facts where they take a story from a credible news outlet and bullet point five facts about the story. Topics range from entertainment to breaking news and politics. Heavy uses mild to moderate loaded language in it's headlines to solicit sharing by its subjects in pursuit of building site traffic.

The Atlanta based author linked to the posted headline has no trace of original work that I can find.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Mods can you please change the title of this thread? No where in that article did it link us specifically with the player, so not sure how you could say theres a "rumor" that we'll make a "serious run at signing him"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Percent of big name free agents the Seahawks are rumored to be in on: 100%.
Percent of big name free agents the Seahawks have ever signed: 0%.

Sorry, not buying it.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Metcalf was not brought in from outside. He is home grown, drafted and developed by the Seahawks.

Right. But JS’s point (I think it was on the GM Journey with Tom Dimitroff) was that he wouldn’t bring in an outside FA or traded player and immediately make them the highest paid player on the team.

So if they signed Hargrave to $20 mil APY, DK would still be the highest paid player. And JS wouldn’t violate that self imposed rule.

sutz

Reaction score
Right. But JS’s point (I think it was on the GM Journey with Tom Dimitroff) was that he wouldn’t bring in an outside FA or traded player and immediately make them the highest paid player on the team.

So if they signed Hargrave to $20 mil APY, DK would still be the highest paid player. And JS wouldn’t violate that self imposed rule.
Ahh yes, I might have misread the intent of the statement.