Robinson might be out a couple of weeks

Cartire

Reaction score
Throwdown":vp2w01ro said:
Robinson has been telling media people he's sick, how in the hell did this turn into "HE'S GETTING CUT"? You guys suck.

Its been weird. So many people want him cut to roll over a couple million for next year. WOOOOO. What a savings......

Lets lose one of our strongest Leaders on the team, and one of the best FB's, to give us a couple mil more next year. That wont come back to bite us at all. :sarcasm_off:

Basis4day

Reaction score
Throwdown":2osji1zl said:
Robinson has been telling media people he's sick, how in the hell did this turn into "HE'S GETTING CUT"? You guys suck.

MRob is also the Union Rep. Is he really going to pretend he's sick to hide a contract restructuring?

TCS

Reaction score
Cartire":1032r7pp said:
Throwdown":1032r7pp said:

Its been weird. So many people want him cut to roll over a couple million for next year. WOOOOO. What a savings......

Lets lose one of our strongest Leaders on the team, and one of the best FB's, to give us a couple mil more next year. That wont come back to bite us at all. :sarcasm_off:

Amen!

Go Hawks!

tcs

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I attribute a lot of the Yardage Marshawn racked up the last few years to the lead blocks of Robinson. You have to ask yourself, do we have anyone (answers "no" by the way) who can fill that roll? Then factor in the obvious chemistry/comradery/synergy between he and Marshawn and you better have all your S#$t in one sock come game one!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Mike Rob should be given a lifetime contract IMO, but thats besides the point. People are obsessed with cap room, He's a Fullback, he's not ever going make Marshawn Lynch, Sidney Rice, Zach Miller type money, and until he falls off he should be paid like the top FB he is.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
sutz":116lebai said:
CALIHAWK1":116lebai said:
I didn't hear but I would assume maybe your reading a little too much into it. We are under cap now. What would be the point of cutting him this year?
Seems to be a running theme around here, that we just have to cut some starter/valuable player. I'm not sure why, with us being on a potential SB run, we would want to start ditching important contributors.

And all for some chimeric 'future salary cap' ramifications. I put it all in the same category of those who advocate throwing games to improve draft position. They play a few seasons as a fantasy team owner and think they can apply the 'lessons' learned there to the real world or something.

Back in the day, after the whole Walter Jones thing settled out, for a few years a lot of people starting asking, "Who do we franchise this season?" like it was some requirement or something. No, you don't have to franchise tag anyone if you don't have to. The most important question there is "Why?" would you franchise someone if you don't If you do have money to roll over, that's nice. But you don't sacrifice this season just to have a 'better' position next season. You worry about next year's cap after February or so.

Um, no. You had better have a long term plan with the salary cap or you find yourself coming up short at some point down the road and find yourself waving goodbye to a Russell Okung or an Earl Thomas. The teams that are competitive and stay out of cap hell year in and year out are the ones that make moves with an eye to the future as well as the present. It has nothing to do with "sacrificing the season" and everything to do with figuring out who we can do without so we can be a contender for multiple seasons. It's nothin akin to advocating that a team tank a season for better draft position, just an acknowledgement that we have an unprecedented number of big contract extensions coming down the pike and we can't afford to lose sight of that fact.

That being said, I highly doubt this situation with Robinson has anything to do with that and everything to do with the fact that he caught a virus that knocked him on his @$$ and it's going to take him some time to get back up to snuff.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Throwdown":3s944ucr said:

We are not the only ones that think something * may * be up. Listen to the GM interview on Brock and Danny. He seems really stressed out

@bcondotta: And to add on Michael Robinson, Carroll says they know it's a "virus'' that him him pretty hard'' ...

@bcondotta: ... but they are "dealing with some intricacies'' of it and that's what they have to wait out now.

Hard decisions need to made or as the GM says "hard decisions have to be made for the '14" and " who will be under contract "

It may not be MRob. It sounds like a veteran

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Yeah, our own GM sat down with John Idzik before Idzik left for Joisey and made a five-year-plan to keep core players moving forward, so obviously even the smallest money matters when trying to keep core players.

On the other hand, there is a lot of presumption here about a guy that has always been a good teammate as far as I can see and deserves the benefit of the doubt that he is just sick until proven otherwise, at least in my view.

sutz

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2564j86v said:
sutz":2564j86v said:
CALIHAWK1":2564j86v said:
I didn't hear but I would assume maybe your reading a little too much into it. We are under cap now. What would be the point of cutting him this year?
Seems to be a running theme around here, that we just have to cut some starter/valuable player. I'm not sure why, with us being on a potential SB run, we would want to start ditching important contributors.

And all for some chimeric 'future salary cap' ramifications. I put it all in the same category of those who advocate throwing games to improve draft position. They play a few seasons as a fantasy team owner and think they can apply the 'lessons' learned there to the real world or something.

Back in the day, after the whole Walter Jones thing settled out, for a few years a lot of people starting asking, "Who do we franchise this season?" like it was some requirement or something. No, you don't have to franchise tag anyone if you don't have to. The most important question there is "Why?" would you franchise someone if you don't If you do have money to roll over, that's nice. But you don't sacrifice this season just to have a 'better' position next season. You worry about next year's cap after February or so.

Um, no. You had better have a long term plan with the salary cap or you find yourself coming up short at some point down the road and find yourself waving goodbye to a Russell Okung or an Earl Thomas. The teams that are competitive and stay out of cap hell year in and year out are the ones that make moves with an eye to the future as well as the present. It has nothing to do with "sacrificing the season" and everything to do with figuring out who we can do without so we can be a contender for multiple seasons. It's nothin akin to advocating that a team tank a season for better draft position, just an acknowledgement that we have an unprecedented number of big contract extensions coming down the pike and we can't afford to lose sight of that fact.

That being said, I highly doubt this situation with Robinson has anything to do with that and everything to do with the fact that he caught a virus that knocked him on his @$$ and it's going to take him some time to get back up to snuff.
Well, I for one think that JS&PC do have a 'long term plan' in mind and in place. I choose not to second guess that too often, because when I do I end up looking a bit silly.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3g3pe9ri said:
Throwdown":3g3pe9ri said:

We are not the only ones that think something * may * be up. Listen to the GM interview on Brock and Danny. He seems really stressed out

@bcondotta: And to add on Michael Robinson, Carroll says they know it's a "virus'' that him him pretty hard'' ...

Hard decisions need to made or as the GM says "hard decisions have to be made for the '14" and " who will be under contract "

Is it not more likely that hes stressed out by needing to trim the roster significantly in the next few days than creating a ruse that one player is "sick" to hide an attempted contract negotiation?

Cartire

Reaction score
Basis4day":35pogee9 said:
Happypuppy":35pogee9 said:
Throwdown":35pogee9 said:

Is it not more likely that hes stressed out by needing to trim the roster significantly in the next few days than creating a ruse that one player is "sick" to hide an attempted contract negotiation?

JS and PC are the most stressed out men in the world right now. This is the deepest team in the league and 3 days from now is going to be super difficult. They basically have given numerous teams great scouting reports on all their soon to be released players. I truly predict that 3/4ths of the cuts are going to get picked up almost instantly. (which means teams will be cutting into their own 53). Thats a huge deal.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Mike Rob is a leader, and a good fullback. He is not the best fullback in the league, but he is paid like it. He plays less than 30% of all offensive snaps. Is it worth carrying him on the 53, and wait out his sickness? Considering how valuable a spot is this season, odds seem hugely stacked against him.

Cartire

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1ozvlx8l said:
Mike Rob is a leader, and a good fullback. He is not the best fullback in the league, but he is paid like it. He plays less than 30% of all offensive snaps. Is it worth carrying him on the 53, and wait out his sickness? Considering how valuable a spot is this season, odds seem hugely stacked against him.

Your forgetting he's a special teams captain as well. He's not just offensive snaps.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
TCS":3u3c2dym said:
Coug_Hawk08":3u3c2dym said:
Right, a virus. Its called 'pay-cut', lots of vets catch it.

The way Pete talked about FB on KJR the other day, def sounds like they are ready to move forward without him.

Robinson isn't just the FB for this team, he's a leader. Talented youth is fine, but veteran leadership is nothing to scoff at. The only place Robinson is going this year is to the SB with the hawks.

Go Hawks!

tcs

Yes it is.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1ecna5fu said:
Well, I for one think that JS&PC do have a 'long term plan' in mind and in place. I choose not to second guess that too often, because when I do I end up looking a bit silly.

So do I. And I think that as part of that long term plan, Schneider and Carroll are going to end up making a few decisions that will have a lot of people second guessing them, perhaps even yourself. Time will tell if Michael Robinson is one of them.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3rz84bvp said:
Throwdown":3rz84bvp said:

Of course JS is stressed. The talent we have at CB, WR, RB, the situation on DL and the cuts coming up effecting that, how can he not be stressed?

12th_Bob

Reaction score
kearly":3f4same6 said:
Bummer. If Robinson has any chance to miss week 1, then you can pencil Coleman in for the roster, meaning that Ware will most likely be on some other team's roster next month. As much as I think losing Ware would be a mistake, what actually bugs me more is relying on Coleman's sub par lead blocking in real games. Carolina's defense is tough as nails, and strong against the run. With Coleman in there, the odds that we'll see another Miami type loss increase (Seattle lost the Miami game because Pete wouldn't back down against their elite run defense).

Even if Robinson does play, the fact that Seattle seems okay with his potential absence is a pretty big tell that they've already penciled Coleman in for the roster. Oh well.

I disagree:

We lost the Miami game on defense not offense, and without a roughing call Seattle wins.

Carolina defense doesn't scare me either.

Cartire

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3q5is2qh said:
Zero pash rush could be a factor against a guy like Cam.

Whats weird is I actually think the opposite. The best way to play against Cam is to blitz less and play the flats. Cam is at his best when he dodges a blitzer and runs into open space. Playing press-zone will buy the front 4 enough time to make him run into awaiting LB's.

We shouldnt stress the pass rush as much as the zone assignments.

I will say though, last year, Waggnor had some great blitzes on him, but only because he recovered so well and I think Cam was having to run so wide because of the OLB's in the flats.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sounds like Mebane and McDaniel are out for tomorrow's game due to groin tweaks. Bennett has some issue with his toe that Pete says is not that big of a deal. DL is looking pretty thin for the opener if some of these guys don't bounce back. Hope they are just being cautious with McDaniel. That groin is probably going to be an issue all season.