Ringer article on Seahawks Offense

Scout

Reaction score
I know the focus has been on Lockett, Metcalf and Fant. But with the new offensive approach I look forward to seeing how Swain and Eskridge will now be in the mix to a greater degree. If that does happen it will really open up the offense as a whole. A returned focus to a running attack while being able to feature Lockett, Metcalf and Fant. Throw in Swain and Eskridge and you have a more complete balanced offensive approach which is harder for teams to game plan. Or more precisely turn the offense into a one dimensional show or extremely limited.

GemCity

Reaction score
As a RW fanboi, I was shocked at the trade but have had time to process and get more excited about the upcoming season as I’ve ever been.

But….you can’t win with this crowd. If Russ starts throwing check downs, using the entire field, it’s just him being vindictive and showing he can do it? K.

Or, if Pete isn’t winning in the next 2-3 years but Russ is, the narrative changes from comPETE now to the rookies need time to develop?

I’ve been irritated by both PC and RW. Neither are perfect. I’ve watched Russ hold onto the ball likes it’s his blanky and I’ve also witnessed PC go full dumb mode with things like running into a stacked box 13 times against Dallas in a Wildcard game.

There’s a bit of truth in both sides of the argument.

Next season is around the corner. We’ll find out soon enough. But, there should be some sort of metric to gauge which side was “right” because the excuses will be flying at a record rate on this board.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But….you can’t win with this crowd. If Russ starts throwing check downs, using the entire field, it’s just him being vindictive and showing he can do it? K.

Yes, that's what Russell is focused and concerned about, throwing check downs to get back at the haters.

Own The West

Reaction score
I know the focus has been on Lockett, Metcalf and Fant. But with the new offensive approach I look forward to seeing how Swain and Eskridge will now be in the mix to a greater degree. If that does happen it will really open up the offense as a whole. A returned focus to a running attack while being able to feature Lockett, Metcalf and Fant. Throw in Swain and Eskridge and you have a more complete balanced offensive approach which is harder for teams to game plan. Or more precisely turn the offense into a one dimensional show or extremely limited.
^ truth. In particular, I think Eskridge was hand picked to fulfill the Atwell/Cooks/Austin role.

GemCity

Reaction score
Yes, that's what Russell is focused and concerned about, throwing check downs to get back at the haters.
Obviously, you haven’t read the entire thread. I didn’t say that dumb shat.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Obviously, you haven’t read the entire thread. I didn’t say that dumb shat.

I quoted your statement, so therefore you said it.

I for one, cannot wait for Russell to burn through another 2-3 coordinators in Denver because "they didn't use him right."

The older he gets the easier he will be to defend, because the very parts of his game that make him hard to defend are deteriorating. Speed, quickness and escapability........and the parts of his game that he's deficient at will increase. Reading defenses and getting the ball out on time to the correct read.

GemCity

Reaction score

I for one, cannot wait for Russell to burn through another 2-3 coordinators in Denver because "they didn't use him right."

The older he gets the easier he will be to defend, because the very parts of his game that make him hard to defend are deteriorating. Speed, quickness and escapability........and the parts of his game that he's deficient at will increase. Reading defenses and getting the ball out on time to the correct read.
I’m not being nasty Sgt. Someone else mentioned that…I had the same response you did 😉. Agree with your comment though…I do think he’ll be reinvigorated the next year or two but… those things you mentioned will certainly erode at a much faster rate at his age.

keasley45

Reaction score

Yup. The accepted narrative and belief even by Russ as he stewed in his sky box watching Brady win his 34th ring, is that Brady just has the time to throw that an elite qb needs. Fact is, Brady is about as mobile as a an oak tree. He continues to succeed at age 63 because he knows exactly where the ball needs to go every down and is capable of getting it there accurately and in time. If your rushers aren't there by the time his 2nd look comes open, you lose. Over and over again.

Like you said. Russ needs time an O line can't provide. And now that he can't fabricate an extra few seconds the way he used to... same old dog, no new tricks.

John63

Reaction score

Okay and if you're wrong, if all those so-called deficiencies end up not being deficiencies but strengths then what will the narrative become?

You should think about it because it is just as likely as any other scenario.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Okay and if you're wrong, if all those so-called deficiencies end up not being deficiencies but strengths then what will the narrative become?

You should think about it because it is just as likely as any other scenario.

I've eaten crow before, and I'm OK with eating it again.

I do think Russ will do well for a year or so in Denver, but nowhere near as well as you and others think he will. New coach, new coordinator, new team......rarely does this combination spell lights out QB play.

Takes time, and as I suspect all involved will understand why Russell's gone through three coordinators in four years here in Seattle.........he thinks he's something he's not, and Pete was using his skillset well.

toffee

Reaction score

I do think Russ will do well for a year or so in Denver, but nowhere near as well as you and others think he will. New coach, new coordinator, new team......rarely does this combination spell lights out QB play.

Takes time, and as I suspect all involved will understand why Russell's gone through three coordinators in four years here in Seattle.........he thinks he's something he's not, and Pete was using his skillset well.

I think Russ will have a burst of new energy now that he will be playing for a new contract, and also show that he could be more than what Pete Carroll made him out to be, ie a glorified game manager. The intrigue is how long would that last? Would Bronco reward him with new contract before this season ends? or they will evaluate next off season? That is a $50mil a season decision for Bronco front office, and it will take huge balls for them to not sign Russ into a new contract, or Russ have to suck real bad.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am the opposite.
I think Russ struggles the first year, because he is learning a new offense and learning how to do things as a QB that Carroll did not want, encourage, or demand.
Learning to mesh with new players is difficult anyway. Those long bombs are based on knowing exactly where your guy will be once you release the ball. He isn't used to being able to trust his garbage OL and he constantly had to overcome his HC's failings.

It will take time for him to learn to trust his HC & OC, and get in sync with the offense.

However, I expect that after Year 1 - Russ gets a feel for things, probably has a rough start, then starts to show improvement by end of the year. He probably takes a little bit of a contract hit on resigning with Denver because of that. Year 2-3 is where the big improvement comes, and suddenly Denver sees a big jump by Russ and his offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Russ will have a burst of new energy now that he will be playing for a new contract, and also show that he could be more than what Pete Carroll made him out to be, ie a glorified game manager. The intrigue is how long would that last? Would Bronco reward him with new contract before this season ends? or they will evaluate next off season? That is a $50mil a season decision for Bronco front office, and it will take huge balls for them to not sign Russ into a new contract, or Russ have to suck real bad.

The Broncos are now in the same position we were after trading away so much for Jamal Adams.

They will have no choice but to pay him, and Russ being Russ will want to break the bank.........which is now 230M+ FULLY GUARANTEED.

All so the Broncos can continue to be the 3rd or 4th best team in their own division. Desperation is a helluva thing.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Garbage QBs will break the bank now.
But Russ should take a hit because of his struggles in Denver.

Probably getting paid as a top 10 QB but not top 5.

Denver will resign him though. You don't not keep HOF QBs with plenty still in the tank that are not materially injured. Only we were stupid enough to do that.

And he will get a boatload, but not like a top 5 QB would get.

BASF

Reaction score
This upcoming seasons offense will be intriguing. We really only got to see a version of what Waldron wanted to do with the offense in the first game of the season. There was a concerted effort early in the game to get the tight ends open in short and intermediate. There were also a few slants into the area that was vacated by two deep safeties. This brought the defense closer and opened up Wilson's deep shots. The running game was helped by poor tackling by the Colts defense, so that is hard to tell how that is going to go. The running later in the year is a pretty good indication that we should be in good shape, but that was not done against good defenses (our numbers against the Niners and Rams were pedestrian minus Homer's one long run).

toffee

Reaction score
The Broncos are now in the same position we were after trading away so much for Jamal Adams.

They will have no choice but to pay him, and Russ being Russ will want to break the bank.........which is now 230M+ FULLY GUARANTEED.

All so the Broncos can continue to be the 3rd or 4th best team in their own division. Desperation is a helluva thing.
230m fully guaranteed, with few picks and subpar cap. Russ truly need to carry that team.

John63

Reaction score

we will see.

John63

Reaction score
I am the opposite.
I think Russ struggles the first year, because he is learning a new offense and learning how to do things as a QB that Carroll did not want, encourage, or demand.
Learning to mesh with new players is difficult anyway. Those long bombs are based on knowing exactly where your guy will be once you release the ball. He isn't used to being able to trust his garbage OL and he constantly had to overcome his HC's failings.

It will take time for him to learn to trust his HC & OC, and get in sync with the offense.

However, I expect that after Year 1 - Russ gets a feel for things, probably has a rough start, then starts to show improvement by end of the year. He probably takes a little bit of a contract hit on resigning with Denver because of that. Year 2-3 is where the big improvement comes, and suddenly Denver sees a big jump by Russ and his offense.

That could be, I think rough start first 2-to 3 games, and then things start rolling. We will see.

John63

Reaction score

Not really a TOp Qb can have a much bigger impact on a team than a top Safety. As to the rest conjecture but we will see.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not really a TOp Qb can have a much bigger impact on a team than a top Safety. As to the rest conjecture but we will see.

What do you mean not really?

The Broncos are what gamblers call "pot committed," just like we were in handing Adams the largest safety contract in the league.

So it really doesn't matter how well Russ does in 2022, the Broncos made their bed in trading away a fortune to get him. They'll now have to fork over 250M fully guaranteed, maybe even more if more QB's sign their extensions between now and next off season.