Richard takes blame for Sherman's blow up.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3a25x4oc said:
Aros":3a25x4oc said:
There's been many times I would have loved to see Bevell man up and admit he was wrong.
There was never any reason for him to say a thing. The trajectory is 6 inches to the right and it's a touchdown

Infallible football genius.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Rob12":ai0h7bh8 said:
CodeWarrior":ai0h7bh8 said:
Am I the only one that doesn't care about the "blow up" at all? Our D is outstanding and has earned leniency. If that's how they want to handle a problem, which they rarely encounter, then so be it. They're entitled to it.

You're not alone; I loved it. And I loved how they rallied around him.

Sherm is a perfectionist and demands that from himself and his teammates. What's not to like?

And then they took it out on the mascot. THe MASCOT....he never saw that coming.... :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen: :stirthepot:

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm glad he said what he did, but he hedged it too, a lot of "we" in there.

I would have felt better had he said something along the lines of:

"I Take complete and full responsibility, whenever there is a break down on defense, that is ALL on me."

"We love the passion that our players show, their pride in their work and dedication to the game, but we also need to show a little more self discipline on the sidelines."

I love Sherman's passion too, but his helmet, where did that end up? That could have been a 15 yard penalty.

But those are very minor complaints on my part. I think KRich (He needs to change the spelling on his last name to "Rechard" so people will pronounce it properly) is still very young, and new to the coaching side of things. So he will only get better as the season goes on.

AVL

Reaction score
So is a statue of Sherman ranting on the sidelines in order?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Richards took the blame, but I feel it's no more than Carroll taking the blame for the SB 49 Int.
He's just sticking up for his guys, keeping it in the house, everyone on the team knew what happened and Richard is going to do his best to defuse the situation, which he rightly should do.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Osprey":3drssevz said:
mistaowen":3drssevz said:
All it proved was how close our defense is. Literally watching the entire starting defense jumping and yelling around him was one of the coolest moments I've ever seen.

So this!

I actually stopped the game and rewound to show my 10yr old Son an example of how even the best sometimes lose their cool, but a good teammate(s) will help to bring them back around.
Awesome teachable moment. Good on ya!

Largent80

Reaction score
He should also take the blame for having his players out of position. Sherman had an off game for the most part but somewhere the blame has to fall on the coaches. It appears that at times it takes way to long to get calls in on both sides of the ball.

This causes us to use timeouts that become valuable towards the end of games.

olyfan63

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":32sd5dyb said:
Aros":32sd5dyb said:
"On that final play of Super Bowl 49, I got way too cute and called an inside slant to Lockette instead of handing the ball to Marshawn which would have sealed our destiny of back-to-back Super Bowl Champions. What the (bleep) was I thinking?!!?"

- Said Darrell Bevell NEVER

Oh how I would've loved to have heard some accountability from Bevell-at any point and for anything.

Kudos to Richard for taking full responsibility-whether it was really his fault, only contributory, or not at all, this is just what a proper coach does in this situation. Pete has fallen on the saber many times as well.

Can you imagine Richard saying, "Sherman could've been stronger to the deep third" in response to those plays?
Yet Bevell says Lockette "Could've been stronger to the ball". It that's not throwing your players under the bus, what is?
Thank God Richard has the sense to take the accountability when things foul up.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":119y42wr said:
West TX Hawk":119y42wr said:
Aros":119y42wr said:
"On that final play of Super Bowl 49, I got way too cute and called an inside slant to Lockette instead of handing the ball to Marshawn which would have sealed our destiny of back-to-back Super Bowl Champions. What the (bleep) was I thinking?!!?"

- Said Darrell Bevell NEVER

Oh how I would've loved to have heard some accountability from Bevell-at any point and for anything.

Kudos to Richard for taking full responsibility-whether it was really his fault, only contributory, or not at all, this is just what a proper coach does in this situation. Pete has fallen on the saber many times as well.

Can you imagine Richard saying, "Sherman could've been stronger to the deep third" in response to those plays?
Yet Bevell says Lockette "Could've been stronger to the ball". It that's not throwing your players under the bus, what is?
Thank God Richard has the sense to take the accountability when things foul up.
You call it throwing under the bus. I see it as telling the truth when questioned what happened. I guess you like the sterile coachspeak replies.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
No one is responsible for Shermans behavior except himself. I like Sherman a lot but his tantrum throwing is something that needs to change and no it isn't his circumstances fault or anyone elses.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3at4ya8c said:
Nice to see one of our Coords step up and take responsibility for their mistakes.
Kudos to Coach Richard for manning up. :2thumbs:
To me the key line is
It's just understanding that those proper responses in those situations, cooler heads will prevail. So we have to maintain our poise, maintain an excellent level of humility and then continue to play.

But the reason it got so much play (too much imo) was just the raw anger shown, the naked ferocity on display.

Bennett was key to turning that into a 'positive' - good move by him to rally the group/supportive reaction.