Rich Eisen: Seahawks Should Get Jimmy G

W

Welshers

WOW. Looks like Welshers knew there was going to be smoke here. I remember him telling everyone Jimmy G was on the menu. And now, one of the most senior and well respected NFL reporters of all time is saying Seattle should get Jimmy G. The way the situation is being handled means the 49ers will likely release him. This means we can get him on a good deal. Folks, it really might happen.

toffee

Reaction score
WOW. Looks like Welshers knew there was going to be smoke here. I remember him telling everyone Jimmy G was on the menu. And now, one of the most senior and well respected NFL reporters of all time is saying Seattle should get Jimmy G. The way the situation is being handled means the 49ers will likely release him. This means we can get him on a good deal. Folks, it really might happen.

I agree with Eisen except one thing:

Jimmy G has proven that he could QB a VERY GOOD team to conference championship games, his HC/OC, after being in those games with Jimmy, rather trade him away. Jimmy G isn't a QB that could will and carry his team to promised land.

DO you want to rebuilt around Jimmy? I don't, do you?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I just can't see it happening unless we get JimmyG basically for free, including SF paying a bunch of his salary. To me it seems like slow news day clickbait. Will JimmyG be signing to be the backup to Baker Mayfield? Oops, wait, the Mayfield-to-Seattle thing didn't happen.

It really seems like Pete wants to kick the tires on whoever wins he Geno-Lock competition. I think he's betting on Drew Lock to emerge and surprise people.

flv2

Reaction score
I just can't see it happening unless we get JimmyG basically for free, including SF paying a bunch of his salary...
That isn't how it would work. No team, including the 49ers, is going to pay Garaoppolo $25.6M since it isn't guaranteed. Without a trade Garoppolo will be cut and then he'll either take the best FA offer available, (maybe $10M), or sit the season unpaid. He's available for trade, but that includes him agreeing to a new contract with the trading team, and it could be a 1 season deal. It could well be a $10M deal for a 7th round pick that becomes a 6th if Garoppolo plays 10+ games.

I don't think he's a fit for the Seahawks. He hasn't proven to be durable and he needs a better O-Line. If he can't pass a medical until late August a trade would seem to be unlikely.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That isn't how it would work. No team, including the 49ers, is going to pay Garaoppolo $25.6M since it isn't guaranteed. Without a trade Garoppolo will be cut and then he'll either take the best FA offer available, (maybe $10M), or sit the season unpaid. He's available for trade, but that includes him agreeing to a new contract with the trading team, and it could be a 1 season deal. It could well be a $10M deal for a 7th round pick that becomes a 6th if Garoppolo plays 10+ games.

I don't think he's a fit for the Seahawks. He hasn't proven to be durable and he needs a better O-Line. If he can't pass a medical until late August a trade would seem to be unlikely.
I agree that he is not a fit and I hope that nothing is traded for him.

If SF cuts him then it's a different story and we will see, yet somehow I don't see him being a fit with our team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
no upside to a nfc championship winning QB?

Do you think Jimmy G = winning a NFC Championship?

1. We don't even know if he's healthy. He's yet to throw coming off season ending surgery.
2. Camp has already started. So even if he did come to Seattle I doubt we'd even see him until well into the regular season when he's fully healthy and has command enough of the playbook.

IMO Jimmy G's been overrated his entire tenure in SF. He's won off the back of a top 5 defense and run game. So to come to a team with the youngest O-line in the entire league in the early stages of a full rebuild? Eh, he's MAYBE the difference between a 7-8 win team, and a 6-7 win team.

That's not enough for me. No thanks.

Ozzy

Reaction score

Now your flynn talk was crazy but I always believed Jimmy is at least on the radar. I'm still not convinced Pete wants to take his chances with Lock and Geno and would like to at least bring someone in to push Lock or win outright.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Now your flynn talk was crazy but I always believed Jimmy is at least on the radar. I'm still not convinced Pete wants to take his chances with Lock and Geno and would like to at least bring someone in to push Lock or win outright.
why? he's already shown that he'll do it. Tarvaris Jackson? Dude was a carbon copy of Geno.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If he's released by the Gold Diggers, he'll no longer be on the deal with one season and zero guaranteed money remaining, but then he won't want to go to a team on a reasonably priced one-year deal. He'll want more guarantees. I can see some kind of argument (tho' I disagree with it) for the Seahawks getting Garoppolo as a one-year rental on his current deal, but that would very probably require the 49ers to trade him to the Seahawks. And I don't want the Seahawks to give up anything of value to get an injury-prone turnover machine on a one-year rental.

So I hope this doesn't happen either way.

If Garoppolo gets cut and he's smart, he doesn't take the first lowball offer that comes around. The injury risk is too great, especially given Garoppolo's history. He should wait for some team to get desperate enough to give him a multi-year deal where, even if his 2022 salary is relatively low, he's got a decent amount fully guaranteed in the contract as a whole.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Same crowd. Same comments. Insert different QBs name. Cut and paste. How about listing a QB we should get. Or maybe we should roll with these two asshats. Sigh.

Ozzy

Reaction score
why? he's already shown that he'll do it. Tarvaris Jackson? Dude was a carbon copy of Geno.
Fair point but Pete was a lot younger then too, so I would guess his patience in that regard isn't the same? It wouldn't shock me though if he thinks he can coach another 10 years and truly is taking a slower approach.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
If Garoppolo gets cut and he's smart, he doesn't take the first lowball offer that comes around. The injury risk is too great, especially given Garoppolo's history. He should wait for some team to get desperate enough to give him a multi-year deal where, even if his 2022 salary is relatively low, he's got a decent amount fully guaranteed in the contract as a whole.
I don't see that happening. If there's a desperate team out there ccurrently, he needs to sign whatever deal he can get now. Especially if that team can offer him a starting role, which not many teams can do right now. He needs to prove his health and reset his value. Best way to do that is to play on a one year deal. He won't get a better offer mid-season imo.

Own The West

Reaction score
Oh boy! Another, "Any quarterback but our own" thread.

I thought this would end when camp started. C'mon Aug 13!

Reactions: PNW

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I see pros and cons to the thought of bringing the guy in. Dilfer wasn't a great QB but had great knowledge regarding the intricacies of the position. I have no idea if the same can be said for Jimmy G, but his time with the GOAT should have taught him something. At least one would think. I'm not a fan of bringing him on but IF it's believed, by those smarter than I, that he could mentor our 2023 pick, maybe it's worth considering.

But contrary to many thoughts expressed in this thread, I'll bet he will find a team and he will continue to get (over) paid in this league. He's probably not lying on the couch of Baker's therapist as I type this. Life is grand for Jimmy G.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Jimmy G is not putting up a fuss and going along with the Niners' plan. The plan of course being that some other team suffers a fluke injury to their starting quarterback and becomes desperate enough to trade for him. Because that is not likely to happen, Jimmy G is really limiting his opportunities by not joining another club now and learning the playbook. He will eventually be cut and sign somewhere as a back up. It will be sort of a lost year for him. I think the Niners are afraid that the Seahawks will sign him, but I'm not so sure that would happen.

Latest posts