Report: Seahawks owner Allen ends talks with Chancellor

Willyeye

Reaction score
On any other team, Chancellor, a 5th round pick, would have been nothing but a backup. Think about the LOB...Sherman, a 5th rounder...Maxwell, a 6th rounder...Browner, undrafted...Lane, a 6th rounder...Thurmond, a 4th rounder. ET, the one DB that was a 1st round pick has become the best Safety in the NFL. These players have reached the pinnacle of success because they were coached up by Carroll and his defensive/DB coaches. No other team has done this! Realistically, Kam owes his success to the Seahawks. He appears to have no loyalty to the team that made him what he was at the end of last season. He has taken that success and spit in its face. He has decided that extortion was the best method to take care of himself, even if it means taking money away from fellow teammates.

Even us fans that are nowhere near being salary cap experts know that Kam's contract was part of a plan to build a SB winning team, and to make the longevity of success for that team last as long as possible. Kam's greed and selfishness is spoiling that plan for everyone else...his teammates, the FO, the fans, and most importantly, for himself. He just doesn't get it. He isn't helping himself here. Kam's holdout was the "Impossible Dream" from its inception. Building a team in this fashion is not easy given the salary cap that GM's must adhere to. And when the FO signed all the key players to new contracts/extensions, I believe every one of us considered them to be generous to the players. It takes insane amounts of planning to build a winning team...Kam is not stupid...he is fully aware of all of this, and yet he has chosen himself over the team.

There should be no talk of trades or appeasement (a trade would qualify as appeasement). If Kam comes back, he should be compelled to finish out his contract through 2017 for the salary he agreed to, and then be let go to Free Agency without any kind of offer for a new contract. If Kam's gratitude for the opportunity to become a wealthy, wealthy man is a holdout, what's to stop him from holding out again next year, even if they meet all of his demands? What guarantee do the Seahawks have that that would be the end of it? You see, not only does it set a bad precedent when dealing with Kam's teammates, it sets a bad precedent for future dealings with Kam.

If Kam doesn't come back, the FO should just let him sit at home for 3 seasons. This sort of behavior cannot be rewarded in any way. If it is rewarded, it will ultimately ruin everything this FO has built in the last 5 years. Why would anyone want one man, Kam Chancellor, to spoil the place where the Seahawks currently find themselves?

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2zzr6ytl said:
Everyone's turning on Kam so quick. I see this more like when your kid does something wrong. You don't kick them out of the house and banish them from your life. You feel disappointed with the choice they made and hope they learn from their mistakes.

I love Kam being a Seahawk and I hope he's here to finish out his contract.

This is not quick. All summer he decided not to show up, and I had no concerns.

Now he is unprepared and misses an actual game, and I cannot support that.

Where do you draw the line?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I'm bummed out by this and hope Kam comes back next week after seeing his teammates take the field without him. I bet that's going to be tough on him.

Polaris

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":dckfuwrz said:
Ed Werder says something on a sports talk radio show and a hundred sites report it just the same as if it was actual news.

There may have been a conversation including Allen, but I can't see him picking up the phone or barging into a room and directly interfering with football operations the way it's being characterized. Till I hear it from John or Pete or Paul, or at least see the words directly attributed to one of them, I'm skeptical.

I hear you, but I do think it's happened (once) before. I seem to recall that it was Paul Allen's personal intervention that ended Lynch's holdout a couple of years ago.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2aetvdmt said:
I have noticed in this thread and some other Kam threads how a number of folks are assuming that Kam is getting bad advice from his agent or others. Where has it been acknowledge in print or audio because i would sure love a link for proof. It is just as easy to assume that this was Kams idea and his pride is what has kept him from backing down.

The proof that Kam's getting bad advice is the fact that;

1. He didn't get what he wanted
2. He's not in camp
3. He's about to lose millions in fines and missed game checks

Good advice is what Bennett's agent told him, tell the team you're unhappy, get into camp, have a kick ass season and reap the rewards next off season when you have more leverage.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I don't care if he ever plays for us again.

We made him the top paid SS in the league two years ago. If he had got hurt and spent the year on the IR, we still would have paid him. Instead he made All Pro, like you'd hope from the highest paid SS in the league.

Then the cap went up and people started getting bigger deals -- like they have for 40+ seasons -- and he wants to holdout over it?

Kam,
Good luck recovering the roster bonus and games checks you won't get. Enjoy your fines. And good luck getting guaranteed money in your next stop, K-Rod. You've killed the golden goose for a 'petty' $900k. You will make some more money if you stay healthy. Good luck with that too...

p.s. last post on this account

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Kamcussionator":1p8m8q7d said:
I don't care if he ever plays for us again.

We made him the top paid SS in the league two years ago. If he had got hurt and spent the year on the IR, we still would have paid him. Instead he made All Pro, like you'd hope from the highest paid SS in the league.

Then the cap went up and people started getting bigger deals -- like they have for 40+ seasons -- and he wants to holdout over it?

Kam,
Good luck recovering the roster bonus and games checks you won't get. Enjoy your fines. And good luck getting guaranteed money in your next stop, K-Rod. You've killed the golden goose for a 'petty' $900k. You will make some more money if you stay healthy. Good luck with that too...

p.s. last post on this account
I do. I'd like him to play. When he does he makes us better. Maybe he will get things figured out and decide to come back. If he does our team will be stronger for it and that's what we all want.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
My heart is a little broken over this, assuming it's true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't). The only way I can see this relationship not becoming toxic is if Kam reports ASAP and the team welcomes him back with no fines and all his game checks. They can make all the lovey, welcome home comments the press can handle.

In the back room they can make a commitment to each other that if Kam shows he is still a Seahawk and resumes his role of leader and enforcer on the field, they can talk next year about an extension beneficial to both sides.

I just don't know if Kam can swallow his pride, though. He sees himself as a truly unique player deserving of more money, and I 100% agree with him, but the reality is that it's organizational suicide for the team to give him what he sees as reasonable. We all know he'll refuse to play for under $3 million in 2017 and we all know that there will be a list of players holding out if the team gives in. If he could see beyond the end of his nose on this, we'd all be in a happier place today.

Oh, well. Next man up!

Laloosh

Reaction score
MysterMatt":33s6rk1w said:
My heart is a little broken over this, assuming it's true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't). The only way I can see this relationship not becoming toxic is if Kam reports ASAP and the team welcomes him back with no fines and all his game checks. They can make all the lovey, welcome home comments the press can handle.

In the back room they can make a commitment to each other that if Kam shows he is still a Seahawk and resumes his role of leader and enforcer on the field, they can talk next year about an extension beneficial to both sides.

I just don't know if Kam can swallow his pride, though. He sees himself as a truly unique player deserving of more money, and I 100% agree with him, but the reality is that it's organizational suicide for the team to give him what he sees as reasonable. We all know he'll refuse to play for under $3 million in 2017 and we all know that there will be a list of players holding out if the team gives in. If he could see beyond the end of his nose on this, we'd all be in a happier place today.

Oh, well. Next man up!

I don't see how they live and let live on this one. He's put the season in jeopardy already and that's the unfortunate truth of it all. He's already done enough damage to warrant making an example of him.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":1n4x632y said:
EverydayImRusselin":1n4x632y said:
Everyone's turning on Kam so quick. I see this more like when your kid does something wrong. You don't kick them out of the house and banish them from your life. You feel disappointed with the choice they made and hope they learn from their mistakes.

This is not quick. All summer he decided not to show up, and I had no concerns.

Now he is unprepared and misses an actual game, and I cannot support that.

Where do you draw the line?

Sounds like you turned on him quick, no? Had no concerns until he didn't show up on Wednesday...now you can't accept what he's doing?

morgulon1

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":10vaemff said:
leto69":10vaemff said:
The big man has spoken....http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rep ... spartandhp

Good night Kam, pretty damn selfish. A lesson he will regret as his career progresses.
It's just sad that he's talking bad advice from someone. He'll be missed but won't be irreplaceable. There are many ways to skin a cat and nearly every last one doesn't require that the Seahawks have a historically great defense.

The NFL is a quarterback driven league and I think it's past time to let Wilson start driving. Or did we just pay 21 million per year for Alex Smith?

I see your point but this seems to be a over reaction. One question, can a team in the NFL have a historic/bad ass defense with out a SS named Kam Chancellor.

it is rhetorical . Yes we can have an awesomely great defense. All the other great defenses in the league don't have #31 and well drive on as well.

I like the part about the training wheels.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Looking at his Instagram photos of late, he seems content on sitting the year out.

Seafan

Reaction score
Making him a free agent or trading him would be setting a bad precedent. Other players would try it. The Hawks should draw the line and let Kam decide if he wants to honor his contract. He gambled and lost. Gambling is a risky business.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Willyeye":31eaafre said:
On any other team, Chancellor, a 5th round pick, would have been nothing but a backup. Think about the LOB...Sherman, a 5th rounder...Maxwell, a 6th rounder...Browner, undrafted...Lane, a 6th rounder...Thurmond, a 4th rounder. ET, the one DB that was a 1st round pick has become the best Safety in the NFL. These players have reached the pinnacle of success because they were coached up by Carroll and his defensive/DB coaches. No other team has done this! Realistically, Kam owes his success to the Seahawks. He appears to have no loyalty to the team that made him what he was at the end of last season. He has taken that success and spit in its face. He has decided that extortion was the best method to take care of himself, even if it means taking money away from fellow teammates.

Even us fans that are nowhere near being salary cap experts know that Kam's contract was part of a plan to build a SB winning team, and to make the longevity of success for that team last as long as possible. Kam's greed and selfishness is spoiling that plan for everyone else...his teammates, the FO, the fans, and most importantly, for himself. He just doesn't get it. He isn't helping himself here. Kam's holdout was the "Impossible Dream" from its inception. Building a team in this fashion is not easy given the salary cap that GM's must adhere to. And when the FO signed all the key players to new contracts/extensions, I believe every one of us considered them to be generous to the players. It takes insane amounts of planning to build a winning team...Kam is not stupid...he is fully aware of all of this, and yet he has chosen himself over the team.

There should be no talk of trades or appeasement (a trade would qualify as appeasement). If Kam comes back, he should be compelled to finish out his contract through 2017 for the salary he agreed to, and then be let go to Free Agency without any kind of offer for a new contract. If Kam's gratitude for the opportunity to become a wealthy, wealthy man is a holdout, what's to stop him from holding out again next year, even if they meet all of his demands? What guarantee do the Seahawks have that that would be the end of it? You see, not only does it set a bad precedent when dealing with Kam's teammates, it sets a bad precedent for future dealings with Kam.

If Kam doesn't come back, the FO should just let him sit at home for 3 seasons. This sort of behavior cannot be rewarded in any way. If it is rewarded, it will ultimately ruin everything this FO has built in the last 5 years. Why would anyone want one man, Kam Chancellor, to spoil the place where the Seahawks currently find themselves?

Damn. Nice post. But you think the Seahawks should let him sit at home and pay him? I think the one thing that's sticks in my mind is that at the beginning of this ,Kam said the front office told him that they'd redo his deal. I think that there had to be a misunderstanding on the time that they'd do it.

I still think he's hurt.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Willyeye":1dkei0ci said:
There should be no talk of trades or appeasement (a trade would qualify as appeasement). If Kam comes back, he should be compelled to finish out his contract through 2017 for the salary he agreed to, and then be let go to Free Agency without any kind of offer for a new contract.
Totally agree. But I'm very confused about something: when Kam mentioned discussions being only $900k apart, I put it down to wishful-thinking rhetoric. But now I see major sports sites (SI, ESPN, etc.) are also talking about this. Here's just one example:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/9/11/9313273/seahawks-kam-chancellor-holdout-nfl
I think the biggest news to come out of this is that they are negotiating. And, that they are closer than anybody anticipated. They're $900,000 apart. And I'm not talking $900,000 a year, I'm talking $900,000 total.
So what gives? Have the Hawks been negotiating? Are they really that close? Yes, I realize nobody on this board knows for sure, but what do you think? Like WillyEye I'd be pretty disappointed in the FO if true.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawknation2015":k70kefm9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kam_Chancellor/status/642105365732192256[/tweet]
Believe who? Paul? If so, believe it Kam.

Here's the other thing.......games start tomorrow and the media and fans are going to be far more focused on that stuff than some 'petty" holdout by a disgruntled player. The sound you just heard was the door slamming on your chance to get your contract reworked. Will it be the sound of the door slamming on your season? Dunno but I do know that decision is yours alone now though the terms certainly are not.

sc85sis

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3ef9t04m said:

Based on what I've seen of Pete since 2001, that's how he likely feels. It's obvious he's very disappointed right now. I also get the sense he's tired of talking about it, and I wish the media would stop asking him. There's really no point. It anything had changed, the team would have announced it.