Random Thoughts on the Rams game

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Compared to last year's team, another thing we are missing is opportunistic turnovers. We got gobs of TO's last year when the opposing team got to the red zone.
Also, I would respectfully demand better success on 2 point conversions. That miss loomed large in this game.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
ShaunPope":39jfrm3q said:
Um, what game were you watching? We still can't run block and the secondary was TERRIBLE when we needed them to come through most.

What post were you reading? I said the OL played very poorly.

Davis beat Seattle's zone, but did very little against our man coverage. Which is what Pete wants. Had the rams not run the ball pretty well, their offense would have been in trouble. As it is they finished with well under 300 yards of offense.

I think you are just angry. Bolding the quote five times would indicate as much. There are good things to come out of this game, even if the loss itself is a huge body blow to our postseason hopes.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
kearly":tf0tpwx9 said:
ShaunPope":tf0tpwx9 said:
Um, what game were you watching? We still can't run block and the secondary was TERRIBLE when we needed them to come through most.

What post were you reading? I said the OL played very poorly.

Davis beat Seattle's zone, but did very little against our man coverage. Which is what Pete wants. Had the rams not run the ball pretty well, their offense would have been in trouble. As it is they finished with well under 300 yards of offense.

Hawks defense stunk on the final two drives and that's all that matters. They choked. You can say under 300 yards all you want. Defense flat out choked.

davidonmi

Reaction score
larjon53":38abpuw9 said:
The offense did not look good. 1) The Rams were playing in prevent mode. They were playing to not give up big plays. 2) they :thirishdrinkers: suck. That's why they couldn't keep Wilson contained even though they knew he would run.
Yep, they were terrible.
470 yards sucks

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
ShaunPope":1a9mcwae said:
Hawks defense stunk on the final two drives and that's all that matters. They choked. You can say under 300 yards all you want. Defense flat out choked.

Again, you are just being angry and not thinking straight. The D got a HUGE 3 and out. Can't blame the defense for a special teams brainfart by Carroll.

Also, you should really get in the habit of giving the other team credit. The Rams looked very sharp and were essentially mistake free. Ol' mustache coached his ass off.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Hawks D choked against a 4th string QB by giving up a long drive TD after pulling to within 2 pts and then again on the final drive by giving up big passing plays and 3rd down conversions. I'm not giving credit to a Rams QB that has no business being a starter in this league. Hawks flat out stink right now. *mod edit*

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The D got put into two bad positions by special teams.

No pass rush. We would have been better to rush 4, 5 were not getting there any faster.

That fake punt was a no excuse play by Pete. Both special teams tricks were world class, and that is now 5 times that the Rams have rooked Pete on Specials in 3 seasons.

Lynch was cursed today, and 2 of the holding calls were What! penalties. Hard to see the infraction.

Richardson looked good.

I feel positive after this loss. I'm not going to speculate on our season prospects, but save for one part of the second when our pass protection dissolved into smoke, the offense had more rhythm today than before now.

edogg23

Reaction score
ShaunPope":2s07ggpw said:
Hawks D choked against a 4th string QB by giving up a long drive TD after pulling to within 2 pts and then again on the final drive by giving up big passing plays and 3rd down conversions. I'm not giving credit to a Rams QB that has no business being a starter in this league. Hawks flat out stink right now. *mod edit* .

I agree about the D. These "zone beaters" are easy 8 yard gains we have no answer for. Our D has been completely exposed and we need to swallow our pride and figure out ways to change things.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2dj0vmg4 said:
I feel positive after this loss. I'm not going to speculate on our season prospects, but save for one part of the second when our pass protection dissolved into smoke, the offense had more rhythm today than before now.

Offense can only click with zone read, I'm positive now.

drdiags

Reaction score
pehawk":1iie1ssx said:
Scottemojo":1iie1ssx said:

I wish this wasn't the case. Not sure how long you can bank on Wilson keeping his wheels. Vick eventually became human after years of pounding.

Jville

Reaction score
My impressions of two players verses the Rams:

With regards to the fan base, Cooper Helfet's debut as a starter exceeded the expectations of most here at .net

On the other side of the ledger, Tharold Simon once again reinforced, for me, a tendency toward negative plays and injury. I think his fans are in for a very rough ride before his game matures.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Oh, and while we are at it, what genius is responsible for putting Helfet on Quinn?

hawk45

Reaction score
The 2nd half passing renaissance felt a bit like smoke and mirrors. I agree with Pehawk, this OL has no chance unless the zone-read is in full effect. Where I disagree is, I don't think the passing offense can succeed despite its OL like it did somewhat today.

I also think the Rams prepared for Harvin all week only to face a different game plan that involved passes in front of the LOS.

So while I liked what I saw out there in the 2nd half, I don't consider it given that we will continue to realize anything like that level of success passing the ball. We *could*, I mean with enough Zone-read threat, continuing to call those slants and plays over the middle of the field, and so forth. I'm just uncertain that NFL defenses won't tighten down as they did last year and find a way to shut down the passing offense once they realize everything we do is designed around not exposing poor pass protection.

That and our OL seems to get more injured as time goes on, instead of less injured.

pehawk

Reaction score
drdiags":3pctno9n said:
pehawk":3pctno9n said:
Scottemojo":3pctno9n said:

I wish this wasn't the case. Not sure how long you can bank on Wilson keeping his wheels. Vick eventually became human after years of pounding.

I think Wilson only needs to keep one or two to lube things up a bit. But, they need speed, desperately now. Michael would've took some far today.

Sad thing is the Hawks faced a DC begging to be burned today. Facing 2014 Williams is a layup, and the Hawks blew it, big time.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Turn either of our first half FG's into TD'd and the entire game changes. Rams had a good day, we didn't and still lost by two after shooting ourselves in the foot twice in the first half. Our offense shares responsibility.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Nice post, as always. I think people are really overstating the 'hole' the Seahawks are in, though I get why it feels that way. Football is a notoriously high-variance sport, given the salary cap, the semi-fluky nature of certain aspects of the game, and the small number of games played each year. As such, prolonged winning streaks aren't that uncommon for good teams, just like prolonged losing streaks are not that uncommon.

They still have only two more losses than the division leader. There are ten games to go. It feels bad, but that isn't insurmountable, and it's hyperbolic to state that the playoffs start now. If the Hawks rattle off 4 wins (not unheard of by any means), they're 7-3, and a loss doesn't sink them.

That said, the margin for error is growing thinner each week.

Giedi

Reaction score
ShaunPope":1olbfxqi said:
Hawks D choked against a 4th string QB by giving up a long drive TD after pulling to within 2 pts and then again on the final drive by giving up big passing plays and 3rd down conversions. I'm not giving credit to a Rams QB that has no business being a starter in this league. Hawks flat out stink right now. *mod edit*
That's a pretty tough but realistic way of looking at it.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
hawk45":36n1f3mi said:
The 2nd half passing renaissance felt a bit like smoke and mirrors.

Russ was getting the ball out quickly. He was sharp and in rhythm.

Maybe we are giving the offense too much credit and Wilson too little credit, but the pass offense seemed 100% legit today.

Latest posts