Random Thoughts™ on the Broncos SB slaughterfest

OrFan

Reaction score
Nice account of what happened.

I am seriously pissed at you for being able to be calm though. I have been calm all year, I knew this team was good and they would take care of business, even the SF game was easy for me. This is the first time it got to me. I had every bit of the confidence I had before, but I felt physically sick until there was only about 4 minutes remaining.

I was at our best friend's house for a party, about 50 people. I went into the bedroom and watched the entire game by myself. Everyone was eating and drinking before the game, at halftime, during the game etc. I couldn't do it. With about 4 minutes left I finally made a plate, gobbled it down, and couldn't take the smile from my face. One of the guys there said something to me about that, that the shit eating grin was on my face for as long as he had seen me, it was then about 30 minutes after the game had ended. It is still there several hours later.

I wanted this so bad it literally made me sick. Worth every minute!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
kearly":3c4h0nx7 said:
I know this sounds crazy, but about 30 minutes before kickoff I felt totally relaxed, and honestly, this game felt like it went entirely to plan from start to finish. It just felt like a totally normal game that actually just went the way it was supposed to for once without any batshit crazy random detours from hell. I couldn't believe how unremarkable it felt. It was the least stressful game of the entire season. And when Seattle won, there was no emotion. It just kind of felt like, "alright, one down." Maybe it's because our team is full of robots and cold blooded serial killers that I've learned to trust them when they are clearly playing their brand of football.
I don't think it's crazy. I have been this way for two weeks. After the clock ran out on the NFCCG two weeks ago, I never felt the same euphoria and adrenaline about going to the Super Bowl as I did after beating the Panthers. I thought it was kinda weird, and it surprised me actually, but emotionally I felt like this was just the way things are supposed to be.

I thought I would start getting anxious and excited a few days before the game, and then I didn't. Then I thought I would feel it a few hours before the game, and that didn't happen either. When the game started, I felt all the same thrills I feel during a normal winning effort. And even now, as I sit here typing, I don't feel anything extra. But I started having moments during the game and afterward where it felt like someone was goosing my adrenal gland and I couldn't stop grinning like an idiot, so I think it's really going to hit me probably tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to write your random thoughts. It's always a good read, and I appreciate your efforts.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
YOU WANTED THIS NOISE, AMERICA.

DON'T PLAY WITH DYNAMITE, IF YOU CANT HANDLE THE BOOM.

Great Ending, Kearly but who do you felt should have been MVP?

I feel Malcolm Smith getting getting it was symbolic of our defensive performance.

But Russell Wilson was straight clutch and he had to get at least every single one of his receivers involved with some action and was using his legs to stymy the Broncos D into hopelessness.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
I feel a little cheated by my emotions. I thought for sure after 37 years I'd get a little verklempt. Perhaps there was a little swelling of emotion with about 12 minutes left, when I was sure no Seahawks team in history could blow that lead, let alone this team. But it definitely felt like we simply took care of business, and I came into the game pretty confident that we'd crush them. We simply lived up to expectations. Still, I'm sure at some point this week it'll hit me. We'll never be in "that" club ever again. And with such a dominating performance, this team will be compared to the all time greats forever more.

And one more 12 reference.... Marshawn did score on that first goal line play, and they should have reviewed it, but..... after scoring on the second, the clock read 12:00.

Destiny, my friends.... Destiny.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":lrbw83if said:

I feel Malcolm Smith getting getting it was symbolic of our defensive performance.

But Russell Wilson was straight clutch and he had to get at least every single one of his receivers involved with some action and was using his legs to stymy the Broncos D into hopelessness.

Nice.

I think if you could give the award to the defense as a whole it would be them. But if limited just to individuals I'd say Wilson pretty easily. The all time list of QBs with better SB efficiency stats isn't a terribly long one, and his composure for a 2nd year QB in his first SB really isn't getting enough play IMO.

If I had to give the award to a single defensive player it definitely would have been Kam. As much as I like Smith, he was just in the right place at the right time on both those plays. Without Avril's hit and without Maxwell's punchout Smith doesn't get either of those plays. With Kam, he also had some help on his interception too, but I just really liked how he beat the snot out of what is by far the best collection of weapons in the NFL. Several Seahawks players- and many Broncos fans- observed a good deal of quit in the Broncos early in this game. Kam was the source of that quit. And when he left the field, you could actually feel a little bit of air coming back into the Broncos lungs. Then he came back in and hope was extinguished.

smerfy01

Reaction score
kearly":38hfz2he said:
Pandion Haliaetus":38hfz2he said:

Nice.

I think if you could give the award to the defense as a whole it would be them. But if limited just to individuals I'd say Wilson pretty easily. The all time list of QBs with better SB efficiency stats isn't a terribly long one, and his composure for a 2nd year QB in his first SB really isn't getting enough play IMO.

If I had to give the award to a single defensive player it definitely would have been Kam. As much as I like Smith, he was just in the right place at the right time on both those plays. Without Avril's hit and without Maxwell's punchout Smith doesn't get either of those plays. With Kam, he also had some help on his interception too, but I just really liked how he beat the snot out of what is by far the best collection of weapons in the NFL. Several Seahawks players- and many Broncos fans- observed a good deal of quit in the Broncos early in this game. Kam was the source of that quit. And when he left the field, you could actually feel a little bit of air coming back into the Broncos lungs. Then he came back in and hope was extinguished.

That's a great and somewhat overlooked point so far. What Kam Chancellor did on the field today I don't think I have ever seen in a superbowl.

Every play he was in, it was almost like every receiver had alligator arms. He hit everyone and hit them hard. Welker, Thomas, Moreno. They all felt the KamTrak. Denver had no life while he was in.

I've never seen one player physically and mentally dominate an opposing offense to the point of sheer intimidation before. Did everyone else on the defense step up big and hit big? Yeah. But not like Chancellor today. He was on another level. The hits. The coverage. The INT. He probably should've been MVP. Even though he isn't, he's just made a name for himself as one of the best safeties in the game and by far the most physically dominant.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Lets not forget Smith also had 10 tackles (tied with Kam and Bobby) and blew up a few screens by Denver. Along iwth the td return and fumble recovery, he was as deserving as anybody on D.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think all three of our units out scored the most prolific offense in history?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Oh also don't forget in the fourth quarter we passed up two more scoring oppertunities and just ran clock on fourth down.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
What's amazing is that if you take away defensive and special teams points, this "pedestrian" offense only scored 27 points, no turnovers, and only had to punt once.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Reaneypark":w9z2qk1a said:
Biggest reason for the win, no YAC. The Broncos thrive on those short routes and getting yards after the catch. Our boys gave them none.

I can't recall who said it but some one in the post game wrap up joked that Denver's YAC was -5. :D

HawkGA

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to do these Kearly. They're a pleasure to read.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wilson stated the first throw was due to the ball not being worked out prior and had some issues with slickness. Take that as you may, but he claims it was not due to nerves. I take his word for it.

aawolf

Reaction score
You pretty much highlighted all of the things that stood out to me during the game and, as usual, did a much better job than I ever could have. I will disagree with you and say that I believe that Avril should have gotten MVP due to his critical role in causing two of the four turnovers. I guess Malcom Smith deserved it just as much as anybody though.

My additional random thoughts:

-I thought it was great that Denver's one great defensive play came from Wolfpacker and past Russell Wilson/Hauchka/Sweezy teammate, Nate Irving, who deflected the TD pass in the first quarter. This game could not have played out any more perfectly for me personally. I loved our dominance.

-I thought the commercial with Colbert was good and the 80's radioshack one was OK too.

--The talking heads are giving Russell Wilson a lot more props today than ever in the past, though he's deserved praise throughout his career. Can somebody please finally acknowledge that he is the BEST QB in his class? Better than even the great, but flawed, Andrew Luck? That would be great and the icing on the cake.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The funny thing about the MVP selection was that there were so many Seahawks to chose from and all had a compelling case for it. Kam was a force of nature, Wilson was absolutely clutch all game, hitting every receiver, Harvin living up to all of our expectations, Avril had a huge game again, Clemons was pressuring Manning all game, Maxwell made us forget about Browner. The theme with this team is not that we have a single superstar, but that we have so many good people in all positions and we have great backups for those guys! My Pick would have been Wilson personally, but Malcolm totally deserves it! His play the last 4 games has been stellar.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Great rundown. Couple of thoughts and one question/criticism FWIW.

1) Wilson will get his SB MVP eventually. This one belonged to the defense.

2) I personally would have given it to Avril, with Chancellor second and Smith 3rd, but really they all deserved it.

3) Haven't had a chance to rewatch yet, but did Denver really run a hurry up this game? I know they went no huddle, but in the past they still run the play clock down a long ways before the snap. Still mucks with substitutions, but does give the D a chance to rest between plays.

- bsd

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I was glad to see that my prediction about the Broncos' receivers mimicking the Cowboy's receivers in 2012 came true. You could tell, even on the TD drive, that Denver wanted to save a little face (by not getting shut out) and then go home.

Also, re: penalties. On the 3rd and 3, where Red jumped offsides, the center should have been called because he faked the hike. The refs must not have seen it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
aawolf":2rmn7h15 said:
You pretty much highlighted all of the things that stood out to me during the game and, as usual, did a much better job than I ever could have. I will disagree with you and say that I believe that Avril should have gotten MVP due to his critical role in causing two of the four turnovers. I guess Malcom Smith deserved it just as much as anybody though.

My additional random thoughts:

-I thought it was great that Denver's one great defensive play came from Wolfpacker and past Russell Wilson/Hauchka/Sweezy teammate, Nate Irving, who deflected the TD pass in the first quarter. This game could not have played out any more perfectly for me personally. I loved our dominance.

-I thought the commercial with Colbert was good and the 80's radioshack one was OK too.

--The talking heads are giving Russell Wilson a lot more props today than ever in the past, though he's deserved praise throughout his career. Can somebody please finally acknowledge that he is the BEST QB in his class? Better than even the great, but flawed, Andrew Luck? That would be great and the icing on the cake.

I dont think he will EVER be praised as much as Luck unless he wins a second won before Luck OR Pete lets him throw alot next year with Harvin

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I put another feather in my cap.

I was the first TO EVER claim DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS ON .NET! :sarcasm_off: