Rams get a taste of Steelers Refereeing

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
Honestly, bad spot calls like these are the WORST because it's like he either made it or he didn't. Its not subjective. ALL 1st downs should be reviewed no matter what. Too easy for refs to screw a team.

I think all 4th downs are reviewed this year.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Full time, not weekend warriors like Ed Hoculi, dude was a well to do lawyer. Fine refs for bad calls, if its your only job you're more likely to do a better job.
There are real easy solutions to fixing the ref problems but the fact that the NFL hasn't done any of them leads me to be more firm on my opinion of their intentional steering.

keasley45

Reaction score
FF started to bring the game down around 15 or so years ago. Prior to that, it was still a thing only fanatics did.

Since them, sport gambling has just totally ruined the credibility of the product. You've got players making money on games, I'm sure refs do as well. No doubt it's happened for decades, but sport gambling is more accessible now than it ever has been. You can win or lose you kids college tuition at a swipe of your phone.

It's sad. Especially when you go to tune into NFL programming and you hear more about who's covering the spread or what the over is on points than you do about a given matchup.

Disgusting.

Threedee

Reaction score
Need full time refs. And ref review committee review every week. Plus a call challenge flag to use for coaches.
Equally important is to have a rules committee that actually does its job, and for the rule book to be completely rewritten. Of particular importance, the NFL needs to figure out such words as "catch." Also, we need to roll back receiver's rights a few decades.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Wyman is correct in saying that the rules committee has overcomplicated the game and made it difficult on all of the referees.

As to the Rams getting in the Superbowl, that was another egregious non-call. The sad thing is, they change the rules "after the fact," when it shouldn't be happening at all.

The reason they review touchdowns is because Rapistberger was playing at Miami, and tried to run it in, but didn't make it. But unsurprisingly, the Referee called it a touchdown. Miami raised a stink, and a rule got added...again, after the fact.

I think the Steelers and Bellicheck have been responsible for more rule changes and "clarifications" than anyone else.

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
I think Wyman is correct in saying that the rules committee has overcomplicated the game and made it difficult on all of the referees.

As to the Rams getting in the Superbowl, that was another egregious non-call. The sad thing is, they change the rules "after the fact," when it shouldn't be happening at all.

The reason they review touchdowns is because Rapistberger was playing at Miami, and tried to run it in, but didn't make it. But unsurprisingly, the Referee called it a touchdown. Miami raised a stink, and a rule got added...again, after the fact.

I think the Steelers and Bellicheck have been responsible for more rule changes and "clarifications" than anyone else.

Seems reasonable to change rules that have obvious problems, after those problems arise.

keasley45

Reaction score
Seems reasonable to change rules that have obvious problems, after those problems arise.

Yeah, but they could also be proactive in identifying which types of plays and in which scenarios, plays should be reviewed.

For example, it shouldn't take a botched roughing the passer call for the league to acknowledge that they need to really confirm a foul occurred before a poor call determines the outcome of a game... or a superbowl.

I get that refereeing is hard. I certainly wouldn't want the stress. But all the more reason to provide failsafes proactively.

I mean, the whole reason the league brought replay back was because we missed the playoffs on that BS V Testerverde helmet TD call against the Jets. I mean, I'm glad it happened because it resulted in Erockson being fired and us getting Homgren, but did things really have to go THAT poorly for the league to say, 'hey, we should make sure we get this right.' ?

chris98251

Reaction score
One has to wonder how much teams with heavy merchandising and legacy sway decisions about calling fouls, then you have the league seemingly going after certain players on teams that tend to be outspoken or that can change the course of a game, LOB being a good example on multiple accounts. Now add the revenue from advertising and needing games to appear competitive, throw in gambling and you have a perfect shit show for corruption, steering, and fixing games and outcomes. If it is there to be had someone will do it. Just look at Corporations and Politics as well as Churches. They all do it, you think that somewhere in the NFL these things are not being talked about or manipulated. There is no Transparency with anything the league does.

flv2

Reaction score
Like some others here i'd rather the call be right than have my team benefit from a bad call. Some of the rules need to be changed to deal with timing issues that late game stoppages will cause. Obviously having a 10-second run-off AND restarting the game clock, (with 30 seconds on the play clock), ought to be the correct stance for the NFL. This ought to happen after a defensive stoppage for injury, penalty, or review. Sadly this isn't the case.

As a Rams fan I was disappointed but even with a turnover on downs I don't think the Rams would have won, (but they should have had that 5% or whatever chance).

olyfan63

Reaction score
Terrible call & spot for the ball. Pickett slipped & his knee was down & was touched behind the line of scrimmage.
I don't think it was reviewed though as LA didn't have a TO left.
Yup. In a sense, Rams screwed themselves.