Rams badly wanted Sam Howell

RedAlice

Reaction score

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How many INTs did Favre throw his first couple years? Nope, not saying I am comparing him to a HOFer but it’s silly to base opinions of any QB in their very first season. History proves as much.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Like it or not, as of this moment Howell is probably in pole position to start in 2025.

His INT numbers aren't pretty, but they don't tell much of the story.
The dudes played for literally the worst team in the NFL last season, and was thrown to the wolves in a way. Made do with what he had, and what he had was far far far worse than most QBs for talent and protection. He did leas the DC team to a convincing win with pretty good states over the cowboys for his first start week 18 against the cowboys, but then last yr DC seemed to be trading and “selling off” half the damn team.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
How many INTs did Favre throw his first couple years? Nope, not saying I am comparing him to a HOFer but it’s silly to base opinions of any QB in their very first season. History proves as much.
In general, some folks use data to damage others and other folks use it wisely. I think this comparison is fine.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don't think we as fans should get too invested in Howell. He's a backup. If he rises above that somehow, great. But leopards don't change their spots. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I don't think we as fans should get too invested in Howell. He's a backup. If he rises above that somehow, great. But leopards don't change their spots. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
What spots? Plenty good QBs had bad early seasons and became great. Drew Brees had a 59% completion percentage on 900 passes with a TD-Int ratio of 29-31 and a starting record of 10-17 in his first 3 seasons, with LaDainian Tomlinson rushing for 4,500 yards in his backfield. Boy, what a chump./s

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
crazy that people want to dump a kid after ONE SEASON playing for a moribund franchise like the Redskins. I don't know how anyone can watch this guy play and not see a dynamic starting level QB. This guy IS Bo Nix and you have him on your team RFN.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
To be fair, that was the 90s.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us. He's the same age as most rookie QB's, but already has that year of NFL experience under his belt. And it wasn't like he just played in a couple games during garbage time. The guy lead the league in passing attempts last year. Gotta take better care of the ball though. I have a feeling he'll look pretty good for us if/when he gets his chance.

flv2

Reaction score
I would have liked the Rams to have gotten Howell for the equivalent of what the Seahawks gave up to get him, but I wouldn't have wanted to have offered much more.

Jville

Reaction score
So much of the league and it's fans have so little patience for player development. Far too many young quarterbacks are damaged and destroyed in pursuit of instant gratification.

Sam has come to the right culture. He needs reps and time to fix flaws and perfect his overall game. In the meantime, he's a thick player with a nice spin move when running with the football. And, he can throw.

Could we see some shenanigans involving a personnel group that includes two quarterbacks on the field? What kind of uncertainty and havoc could that create for defenses? I'd like to find out.