Question about Earl Thomas

seatownboy

Reaction score
LOL earl's range and skill set is not matched by any other safety in the league besides Ed Reed in his prime. He tackles and the los while playing deep coverage, that's not easy to find.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man give Earl whatever he wants! Dude allows our secondary to be as physical and aggressive as they are as his speed and range can help limit the big plays over the top. Without him, our whole secondary has to play differently.

HawkWow

Reaction score
-The Glove-":4mydkul0 said:
HawkWow":4mydkul0 said:
I would like for us to put the tag on Earl, but I have a feeling the FO will want to pay him instead. He's Pete's guy and Pete's only 1st rounder that's a certain non-bust. Pete had to hurt the feelings of Mays to get him (LOL) and I won't be surprised if ET's a Hawk for life. With this team, I think he's the best in the business and I'd have no issue with him being compensated as such.
Okung is a certain non-bust, ability wise.

Okung's the man. My bad.

(I also think Irvin is going to make some things happen for us).

uncle fester

Reaction score
OP

1. Buy a balloon. 2. Fill it with air. 3. Let all the air out, really quickly.

Part 3 simulates what'll happen to our D, in short order, if you let Earl go elsewhere.

And if he works out as the League's highest paid safety, that's fine with me.

themunn

Reaction score
At first reading I thought the OP meant "I don't think Earl is worth what Goldson got, because Goldson is way overpaid and nobody is worth what Goldson got"

I actually can't believe there are people like that.

Earl is a rare breed of player known as a shut down safety. Teams throw in his direction even less than they do Sherman's

Crash123go

Reaction score
Carmon1274":2lzqbugy said:
hawker232":2lzqbugy said:
Carmon1274":2lzqbugy said:
To me I don't believe he's worth what Goldson got.

Explain.

Goldson to me is a hard hitting beat like Kam.

I like ET as a corner, but not a safety. I rather have TJ Ward than ET.
Earl Thomas is the best center fielder in the league. Period. I know I'm new on this site but c'mon man your being ridiculous

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
well a lot of people now have covered it.. but I will try to explain it in another way.
Earl was the first guy picked for a reason in the JS PC era.. He allows us to play the style defense we play.
In order for it to work, the corners need to be able to play press, the strong safety plays up right with the line backers just a bit behind them, and the free safety has the back half. What makes earl special is his ability to cover the left and right and back zones solo. All players in the scheme need a great football IQ, however the free safety needs Instinct as much as IQ. so.... you need the following in your free safety.
1) the ability to anticipate and react to the ball.
2) Incredible speed and burst movement.
3) Need to be able to tackle well.
all three of those are very rare in the nfl at safety, there are only a handful of guys that can do that. or that ever could to that level. so with that being said, he would be worth it most likely whatever it is we paid him.
Hopefully that explains it that's my short version.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":1ooo3w4z said:
well a lot of people now have covered it.. but I will try to explain it in another way.
Earl was the first guy picked for a reason in the JS PC era.. He allows us to play the style defense we play.
In order for it to work, the corners need to be able to play press, the strong safety plays up right with the line backers just a bit behind them, and the free safety has the back half. What makes earl special is his ability to cover the left and right and back zones solo. All players in the scheme need a great football IQ, however the free safety needs Instinct as much as IQ. so.... you need the following in your free safety.
all three of those are very rare in the nfl at safety, there are only a handful of guys that can do that. or that ever could to that level. so with that being said, he would be worth it most likely whatever it is we paid him.
Good post but one correction...ET was #2. Okung was the first pick.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
kearly":1kmjc77f said:
I don't worry about it. When Thomas does get paid (in 2014 or 2015), he'll only be making about $4 million or $5 million a year more than he did on his rookie contract. That shouldn't be too tough to absorb.

The only Seahawks I am worried about contract wise are Tate and maybe Rice. I think both are worth keeping, but sacrifices have to be made somewhere and WR is the most logical place to start. I guess I am a little concerned about Sherman, in the event that he asks for Revis money. In the event that he demands $16 million per, I hope the Seahawks strongly consider trading him for multiple high draft picks as it would work out far better that way resource-wise.

What's the most you'd advise paying Sherman? Or if that's too narrow, what's the most you'd pay for the entire defensive backfield?

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1unab8qe said:
hawks4thewin":1unab8qe said:
Good post but one correction...ET was #2. Okung was the first pick.

ahh your correct, thanks.. I forgot there were 2 that year :)
okung and earl. thanks for the correction.

misfit

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":23b63j5o said:
ChrisB Bacon":23b63j5o said:
You better hope (and they will, not a doubt in anyone's mind) they resign ET if you "love Kam."

Kam's a strong safety/rover in our system but without Earl back there his game would drop dramatically.

I doubt it's that extreme. Part of the pregame before the SNF game against SF was about how despite their differences in size and primary skills our defense uses ET and Kam pretty interchangeably. That might change depending on match-ups and they also might have been wrong, but it's an interesting notion if it is in fact generally true.

I don't believe this is true at all.

Subzero717

Reaction score
misfit":3096fta0 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":3096fta0 said:
ChrisB Bacon":3096fta0 said:
You better hope (and they will, not a doubt in anyone's mind) they resign ET if you "love Kam."

Kam's a strong safety/rover in our system but without Earl back there his game would drop dramatically.

I doubt it's that extreme. Part of the pregame before the SNF game against SF was about how despite their differences in size and primary skills our defense uses ET and Kam pretty interchangeably. That might change depending on match-ups and they also might have been wrong, but it's an interesting notion if it is in fact generally true.

But it sounded so good. Interchanging a 6'3" 230 and a 5'11" 200 guy is totally plausible in our D.

hawksnfcsbest

Reaction score
I am flabbergasted at this thread question. Earl Thomas is undoubtedly a top 3 FS in the Entire NFL. Goldson can hit hard but he can't cover or re-cover for the life of him! I want my FS to be a huge playmaker NOT just a hard hitting guy, we have that in Kam, we don't need 2 safeties that are identical.......

IMO Earl Thomas will get locked up, to a 6 year deal and every penny we pay him will be worth it and then some.

I think you may need to watch ET play a bit more than just look at his stats, just my opinion

General Manager

Reaction score
He needs to play better than he did last year . In 2010 and 2011 he averaged 66 tackles in 2012 he had 42. Sherman has 12 INT in two years and Earl has 10 in three years. Thomas is a very good safety but if he wants to be paid more than 6 mill a year with a healthy bonus he needs to bring it this season.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Carmon1274":194zozcd said:
His agent is probably gonna look for something similar to Goldson (5 year, $41.25 million dollar contract)

I know we don't have a backup FS, xcept Josh Jonson?

What are the chances we don't re-sign him? To me I don't believe he's worth what Goldson got.

[youtube]xtSD8UDIflY[/youtube]

sutz

Reaction score
General Manager":2i5gu7bi said:
He needs to play better than he did last year . In 2010 and 2011 he averaged 66 tackles in 2012 he had 42. Sherman has 12 INT in two years and Earl has 10 in three years. Thomas is a very good safety but if he wants to be paid more than 6 mill a year with a healthy bonus he needs to bring it this season.
Meh....I'm not so sure those stats are that meaningful. The drop in tackles could just be a reflection of our improved LB corps with KJ and Wags.

Getting fewer Int's is often because QBs don't throw where he is. With Sherm and BB up front, WRs have difficulty releasing on deep routes, too.

The coaches and FO will look at the totality of ET's game, not just the stat line. He brings a lot more to the table than just stats.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
misfit":1sb9fh10 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":1sb9fh10 said:
ChrisB Bacon":1sb9fh10 said:

Why not? I've read PC has used his safeties interchangeably in previous gigs. FO also has a piece about how we shut down SF's read-option in man-coverage (said to be worse than zone for covering QB runs) and getting poor push from our d-line (which would seem to be bad for defending just about every play) largely because they had no idea whether it was going to be ET darting or Kam bulldozing in to play the run. If Kam and ET played simple roles like we often describe on this forum, we wouldn't be putting SF in the bind that we did when we played them.

If you guys look beyond the conventional wisdom of this forum, I bet a good number of the people here will see that Kam is less of a slouch in coverage than they might have assumed based on his size, and that ET uses his speed more frequently to make amazing plays like tackling Kaep for a loss rather than bailing out our big DBs for the perceived conventional drawbacks of being so tall.

CALIHAWK1":1sb9fh10 said:
But it sounded so good. Interchanging a 6'3" 230 and a 5'11" 200 guy is totally plausible in our D.

Oh, Calihawk.. If sarcasm proved a point, teenagers would be running the world! If slightly more than modest differences in measurables were game-breaking for certain positions in the NFL, Flynn would be our starting QB!