QB Thought

toffee

Reaction score
Drew looked as if he'd lost weight last week, and his breathing may have been limited.
Maybe my view of his weight was distorted by connecting a desktop PC to a TV, via a passive
DisplayPort+ to HDMI converter. But he looked...lighter.
EDIT: HDMI has 19 conductords, and DisplayPort+ has 20...one conductor was lost on its way to the TV.
I have been of the opinion that Lock hasn't fully recovered from COVID, but with job security in play, he came back early and try way too hard. I think Lock is better than that 3 INT Lock that we saw vs Cowboys.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Or Lock is a peak/valley player as a I suggested earlier. And we just saw one of the valleys.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I just read something that Pete said from last spring that is a good reminder NOT to trust what that man says in public:

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll thinks Drew Lock is better than any quarterback who was selected in the 2022 NFL draft.

Carroll said on Sports Radio KJR that Lock — who went to the Broncos with the 42nd pick in the 2019 draft — would have been chosen ahead of first-round pick Kenny Pickett or any other quarterback in the 2022 draft.

“I think he’d have been the first guy picked, of quarterbacks anyway. He’d have been the first guy in this draft. I don’t have any hesitation saying that,” Carroll said.

But he can't beat out Geno Smith.

There's only two possible conclusions that we can draw from looking at that statement:

1. Pete's talent evaluation sucks.

2. Pete is full of more s&!t than a Christmas turkey.

Or maybe a little of both?

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I just read something that Pete said from last spring that is a good reminder NOT to trust what that man says in public:

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll thinks Drew Lock is better than any quarterback who was selected in the 2022 NFL draft.

Carroll said on Sports Radio KJR that Lock — who went to the Broncos with the 42nd pick in the 2019 draft — would have been chosen ahead of first-round pick Kenny Pickett or any other quarterback in the 2022 draft.

“I think he’d have been the first guy picked, of quarterbacks anyway. He’d have been the first guy in this draft. I don’t have any hesitation saying that,” Carroll said.

But he can't beat out Geno Smith.

There's only two possible conclusions that we can draw from looking at that statement:

1. Pete's talent evaluation sucks.

2. Pete is full of more s&!t than a Christmas turkey.

Or maybe a little of both?
Only two that we can draw? Please do not include me in this "we" group constrained by limited thinking.

The false dilemma fallacy - an informal logical fallacy in which a premise is set that erroneously limits available options.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Only two that we can draw? Please do not include me in this "we" group constrained by limited thinking.

The false dilemma fallacy - an informal logical fallacy in which a premise is set that erroneously limits available options.
Alright, then tell us what your option is. Don't get hung up on the wording.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
With two 1's and two 2's next draft, they have plenty to move up IF they have QB in mind. Or any other stud player in the draft they want.
Looking a lot like they won't have to move up right now. Broncos eked out a win but they didn't look great against the Texans. One of those picks will hopefully be enough and we can get 2 first round players or turn one of them into a lot of mid round gold.

GemCity

Reaction score
I see us grabbing some dude in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc…banging our heads in the wall as to why PC and JS didn’t take Levis, Stroud, etc…
…and that guy becoming an absolute stud.

BASF

Reaction score
I see us grabbing some dude in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc…banging our heads in the wall as to why PC and JS didn’t take Levis, Stroud, etc…
If they pick Penix in the second or third, I would not be disappointed from what I have seen of him.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
A lot of the Geno hate seems to be from posters who are inwardly worried that the Hawks will be satisfied with Geno as a mediocre long-term solution and not upgrade. However, remember that Russ was coming off a 34 TD-11 INT 4k passing yard season when the front office had wandering eyes at Josh Allen's pro day. Geno and Lock could both play way better than expected and it wouldn't prevent the Hawks from taking a QB early if they have a chance at somebody they really like.

This season isn't about QB development. They're going to be playing the QB who gives them the best chance to win each week. Hopefully that QB will perform well enough to let the rest of the youth develop around them.
And they're playing the QB that best allows them to evaluate and develop the rest of the offensive roster and offense in general. That position has to have reasonable floor in order to see what you have in your other guys, Waldron included.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Would Lock be more of a threat to keep the defenses honest?

Should we try boom or bust? Shock and aaaawwwwhhhhhhh :(. Or just keep going with checkdowns and dink and dunk?

And yes I know it's only been 2 games

Seahawker

Reaction score
This is not a Joe Montana, Steve Young situation and I'm not suggesting a Roger Staubach/Craig Morton rotation.
But unless Geno starts making strides by mid season that translates into competitive play/wins, then I think Lock deserves a half season shot. At least then we'll have a clearer picture of which vet QB will compete with our 2023 draft pick to start next season.

Best seasons with rotating Quarterbacks.

1970 Nebraska Van Brownson & Jerry Tagge 11-0-1 (national champion).
1993 West Virginia Darren Studstill & Jake Kelcher 11-1 (lost Sugar Bowl).
1996 Ohio State Joe Germaine & Stanley Jackson 11-1 (Rose Bowl champs).
1998 Arizona Keith Smith & Ortege Jenkins 12-1 (won Fiesta Bowl).

NFL
Bob Waterfield & Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1952. In 1950 the Ram's won the NFL title and averaged 38.8 points per game, which remains a league record.
I just thought the above would be fun considering our present QB situation. One thing is for sure, we need to improve our TOP and score points to win games.

Chapow

Reaction score
If they pick Penix in the second or third, I would not be disappointed from what I have seen of him.

He has been awesome for UW so far this season, but his injury history is very worrisome.

"Each of the 6-foot-3, 214-pound quarterback’s four collegiate seasons have ended with injuries — torn ACLs in 2018 and 2020, a sternoclavicular joint (connecting the clavicle to the sternum) injury in 2019, and an AC joint shoulder issue in 2021. All told, the two-time captain and 2020 All-Big Ten second-team selection completed 59.4% of his passes for 4,197 yards, 35 total touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 20 career games at Indiana.

But he never played in more than six games in a season.

Which is why Penix Jr. has plenty to prove at Washington."

Own The West

Reaction score
Alright, then tell us what your option is. Don't get hung up on the wording.
None of the QB drafted this year are starting. So while Lock couldn't beat out Smith, none of the other QBs could beat out journeymen QBs either. Only Pickett had a better senior season than Lock, so it seems a pretty fair statement by Pete.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
None of the QB drafted this year are starting. So while Lock couldn't beat out Smith, none of the other QBs could beat out journeymen QBs either. Only Pickett had a better senior season than Lock, so it seems a pretty fair statement by Pete.
Malik Willis is in for the Titans right now. They're getting blown out badly by the Bills. First rookie QB to take snaps this season.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
maybe, it sure feels like to me that they already know who they want. Im almost positive.