QB situation

Gaalbladder

Reaction score
If he were cut, he might be worth a look. That said, he regressed in Tennessee with a TD/Int ratio barely over 1:1 his last few years as a starter.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Anybody else think Marcus Mariota might be a decent, if not, perfect fit?
Not in the least. I watched too many Titans games. They instantly became a contender the second they benched him.

of course list any bad QB and PC will think he is the smartest man around and will sign him thinking he can turn him into something. Sigh.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well he plays for another team, so I'd say no he's not a viable QB candidate for our team.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
He's either the Falcons incumbent starter or he's not good enough to be the Falcons starter, both of those things should preclude him from signed by the Seahawks.
Yep. They currently have 3 QBs on their roster: Mariota, Desmond Ridder and Feleipe (That is how it's spelled on their website.) Franks. Franks is out of Arkansas and has 2 years experience. If Mariota can't win the QB1 job, then we don't want him.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Are there good examples of qb's who used to be below average, and then all of a sudden turned it around and became sb winning qb's? If so, who? Most of the ones that come to mind, i.e., Foles, Dilfer, etc weren't below average were they? They were average or slightly above.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Are there good examples of qb's who used to be below average, and then all of a sudden turned it around and became sb winning qb's? If so, who? Most of the ones that come to mind, i.e., Foles, Dilfer, etc weren't below average were they? They were average or slightly above.
Tannehill maybe?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Wasn't Brad Johnson the Bucs QB when they won it in 2002? I don't recall him being anything special previously. However like Dilfer he had a great defence on his team, something the Hawks will not be this year. (can't turn it all around in 1 year)

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Chris Chandler, Mark Rypien, Jake Delhomme, Kurt (arena league) Warner, Rich Gannon, Jake Plummer. The list literally goes on and on. The fact is it's easier to build a complete team around a decent quarterback as opposed to the nightmare it is to balance out quality with a great qb that takes up 20% of the cap. Feels freeing to finally break away from Wilson's demands.

John63

Reaction score
Yeah no, he is not a good QB. I think we are better off rolling the dice this year and getting a young gun next draft.

flv2

Reaction score
If Lock was a FA I think his market would be about $4.5M. Smith's market was lower than that. There were quite a few possible QB candidates that would have been better options than the QBs the Seahawks now have. I advocated for the Seahawks to sign Mariota before the Falcons signed him. I'm not a Mariota fan but I thought he was the best value for money option in the bargain bin.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Chris Chandler, Mark Rypien, Jake Delhomme, Kurt (arena league) Warner, Rich Gannon, Jake Plummer. The list literally goes on and on. The fact is it's easier to build a complete team around a decent quarterback as opposed to the nightmare it is to balance out quality with a great qb that takes up 20% of the cap. Feels freeing to finally break away from Wilson's demands.
And? Care to list all of the players that didn't turn over a new leaf on a new team? That list is much more vast. I don't think you can realistically include Warner either. His most successful stretch was on the team that originally gave him a chance in the NFL. Yes, he was an arena QB -- but he succeeded on the first NFL team to give him a chance.

We took a huge chance when we decided to deal Wilson. We could very easily end up in Browns levels of QB purgatory. Some teams have taken decades to find a subtable passer, we could be in that same camp.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is 90% historically inaccurate. First of all three of those players played before the salary cap was in place.

Chris Chandler was on his 5th team by the time he joined the Falcons. They then went 7-9,14-2, and 5-11 one season of insane fluky success dose not show the team was built correctly.
Mark Rypien was drafted by the WFT in 1988 and the starter from 1989 onwards. On a team that won three SBs with three different QBs because they had no salary cap and could keep talented QBs hidden the roster.
Delhomme and Warner never played and teams just had to play then because they did not have any other answers.
Jake Plummer was bad on bad Cardinal teams, then he was bad on good Bronco teams. He had 4, 20 interception seasons with AZ then his first year starting with Denver he had a 20 interception season.

As teams start to build rosters in different ways there will be new values created in the market. Only 8 teams have QBs making over 15% of their cap. So we will see how they do

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
This is 90% historically inaccurate. First of all three of those players played before the salary cap was in place.

Chris Chandler was on his 5th team by the time he joined the Falcons. They then went 7-9,14-2, and 5-11 one season of insane fluky success dose not show the team was built correctly.
Mark Rypien was drafted by the WFT in 1988 and the starter from 1989 onwards. On a team that won three SBs with three different QBs because they had no salary cap and could keep talented QBs hidden the roster.
Delhomme and Warner never played and teams just had to play then because they did not have any other answers.
Jake Plummer was bad on bad Cardinal teams, then he was bad on good Bronco teams. He had 4, 20 interception seasons with AZ then his first year starting with Denver he had a 20 interception season.

As teams start to build rosters in different ways there will be new values created in the market. Only 8 teams have QBs making over 15% of their cap. So we will see how they do
I mean look no further than scrubs like Goff, Foles and Stinky G. You can have an equal amount of success with a nasty D and a game manager. I'll take my chances with Geno or Lock for one year then draft Stroud in 23' If Lock doesn't pan out. A guy like Stroud only comes along once per decade

sdog1981

Reaction score
I mean look no further than scrubs like Goff, Foles and Stinky G. You can have an equal amount of success with a nasty D and a game manager. I'll take my chances with Geno or Lock for one year then draft Stroud in 23' If Lock doesn't pan out. A guy like Stroud only comes along once per decade
A lot of teams would love to have a bad QB at the level of Goff or Jimmy G. One of the interesting things in the NFL is there are cycles of player prototypes that teams look for. A smart team can find the under valued players and build a winner. During the last Patriots run they saw that good older players could be singed to low contracts because teams were obsessed with rookie deals. Something like that is going to happen in the NFL with low wage QBs and WR contracts.