Pro Football Focus ranks Seattle's Oline

John63

Reaction score
Before we start popping backflips and spinning cartwheels over the OL's performance, can someone tell me how many snaps TJ Watt played? Or Cameron Heyward? Who was it, exactly, that our OL was going up against? Was there any starter on the Steeler's D that saw significant playing time?

It's the preseason, for crissakes.
Exactly game 1 preseason with very few starters on their defense. Let's talk when it's against starters for a whole game and then we will see.

toffee

Reaction score
PFF, for Steelers' game: After 145 pass blocking snaps, our OL allowed 1 pressure (a hurry), PFF rated our pass blocking 84.5, highest in the league, we're #1!!! Our OL was also 86.5 5th in NFL for run blocking. I can't remember when was the last time our OL was ranking #1 in pass blocking, can you?

If we keep this up, I shall order some black birds to PFF's office at 1216 Central Parkway, Cincinnati for their enjoyment.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The line did play well overall. It was fun to not hear them mentioned negatively every other play.

But that also got me thinking about the line-protection call that ended our chances with Lock's strip-sack. How many times did RW have free rushers get into the backfield, and we blamed the O-line? Could it have been his miss-called protections at the line on occasion?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The line did play well overall. It was fun to not hear them mentioned negatively every other play.

But that also got me thinking about the line-protection call that ended our chances with Lock's strip-sack. How many times did RW have free rushers get into the backfield, and we blamed the O-line? Could it have been his miss-called protections at the line on occasion?
Quite possible, considering just how badly Russell saw the middle of the field and dealt with some coverages. He wasn't especially strong pre-snap.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Sure, it could have, and likely was. All QB's miss a call from time to time. Whether Russell made more mistakes than the average QB, I couldn't say.

There's a lot of factors that enter into the equation when looking at QB sacks, including play design, how well the QB is at getting rid of the ball, their tendency to extend plays, etc. In 2020, the year Russell said that he was getting hit too much, our OL actually graded out halfway decent for pass protection, at least according to PFF, 15th or 16th if I remember correctly. Not the greatest but not dog meat, either. They regressed in 2021.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I didn't say that they played like shit, nor did I say anything negative about their performance. All I'm saying is that we need to keep in mind that this was just a preseason game, a glorified scrimmage. The competition is not always going to be first rate.
Snuff out any good vibes, eh Swami?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Maybe it was just the first pre-season game, but they were getting graded compared to the OL of every other team also playing their first pre-season team. It doesn't mean they'll be world-beaters during the regular season, but neither does it mean the showing should be completely discounted. Somehow, all the other teams' o-lines played worse than our rookies. Think about that statement.

GemCity

Reaction score
If there’s anything on this team I’m not as concerned about (to include the coaching staff), it’s the line. There are definitely weak spots. But, I don’t see us being near the bottom half of the league…..

I loved our ground game. Penny and Walker (when healthy again) are going to light it up.