Premature declaration: Lock may be the perfect PeteBall QB for '22

keasley45

Reaction score
Great, someone brought this thread back, so I can express what nonsense this is.
One of the all-time great combinations in Seahawks and NFL history, Wison to Lockett; you could fill your trunk with tapes of the highlights. What's he supposed to say? Please bring me with you?
No, Tyler is too cool, and positive a dude to spin negative.
He'll need to hope that Lock, or Smith, or Baker has half the magic this season. I for one, want to see him make more of those head spinning catches.
I guess we'll see.

If it's nonsense, post a link to the plays Where Russ actually hits Lockette as he's coming open per design, or where they hooked up and it wasn't a blown coverage. Those plays were 2/10. Lockette was great with Russ because he kept plays alive and was savvy enough to get open when the plays as designed, were largely over. It's the style of ball the Hawks played. It was talked about for years - how wrs had to learn the scramble drill with Russ because that's when they'd often see the ball. Not during the designed play, but when Russ was just being Russ. What a different conversation we'd be having were it not for Tyler Lockette since ADB retired.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
If it's nonsense, post a link to the plays Where Russ actually hits Lockette as he's coming open per design, or where they hooked up and it wasn't a blown coverage. Those plays were 2/10. Lockette was great with Russ because he kept plays alive and was savvy enough to get open when the plays as designed, were largely over. It's the style of ball the Hawks played. It was talked about for years - how wrs had to learn the scramble drill with Russ because that's when they'd often see the ball. Not during the designed play, but when Russ was just being Russ. What a different conversation we'd be having were it not for Tyler Lockette since ADB retired.
Have a look at what I would call an unbiased analysis. It's ~ 50/50 Tyler/DK with lots of examples of smart, decisive throws to the middle of the field.

keasley45

Reaction score
Have a look at what I would call an unbiased analysis. It's ~ 50/50 Tyler/DK with lots of examples of smart, decisive throws to the middle of the field.

That's a good video, and shows his passing when he passes, but there are many that he chooses to not throw, for reasons only he knows. Receivers that are open, but that he won't go to. I'm not bashing the guy. Maybe he will be better in Denver.

2022 06 27 09 09 13

I've posted quite a few clips from All22 showing Russ overlooking open routes that fall into the category I mentioned. For all of Lock's flaws, I for one hope he takes advantage of more of the field, even if it means throwing the occasional int. Just make the play that's there. Warner said it best in his critique of Russ - something along the lines of 'its great that he makes those impossible plays, but soo many of them just simply don't have to be that hard...'

I think he's right.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Can you please explain why the defense and run game needs to be elite? What evidence is there to support that other than the fact that Pete built an elite defense and traded for an elite running back.

This team was good enough to go deep in the playoffs the year we lost our entire backfield and had to pull Lynch off of his couch. Our defense wasn't elite then, and our running game was great before the injuries, but not elite. We lost in GB with a one dimensional team and a passing game that couldn't overcome it.

The team was also good enough to make a run in 2021 when the defense turned itself around mid season and finished in the top half of the league over that span, and we had a running game that was underutilized. We lost in the playoffs to the Rams behind a pass game that never showed up.

To me, that smells like a team that needs to be good in all facets and maybe great in one. If we could have converted first downs and held the ball against the Rams with better than sub 50% passing for a half, we advance.

The MASH backfield team just needed for Penny or Carson to be in the game.

Agree, that if the qb play is questionable in terms of sustaining drives, you do need exceptional play from the D and running game to be competitive. But that's not a 'Pete ' thing, that's just football.
Gee, I don’t know. Failed stalled drives for a lot playoff games cause Seattle couldn’t run/pass the ball. Haven’t you seen enough of those? If Seattle cannot score on offense, they’ll need points to come from somewhere else. Special teams or defense, perhaps?

Pete Carroll WANTS an elite run game more than he wants an elite QB. That’s not a secret. That’s always been his recipe. And playing well in playoffs definitely helps when you have a top tier defense.

It doesn’t need to be Seattle evidence.

Look at most of the past Super Bowl winners.

They’ve all played top tier defense.

Rams.
Bucs.

Seattle or any team will not win any SuperBowls if they are both mediocre on offense and mediocre on defense.

One of those two sides of the ball has to be elite (top 5 in NFL at least).

JPatera76

Reaction score

Did R, Lockette and T locket get married? and adopt a kid and name him Tyler Lockette lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
For all of Lock's flaws, I for one hope he takes advantage of more of the field, even if it means throwing the occasional int. Just make the play that's there. Warner said it best in his critique of Russ - something along the lines of 'its great that he makes those impossible plays, but soo many of them just simply don't have to be that hard...'

I think he's right.
Still feel that way after 2 months of camps and preseason games?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Russ was the perfect QB for Pete. Doesn't make many mistakes, helped the running game with his legs and when Pete was way too conservative and passive Russ could bail you out in the 4th quarter. Lock, Geno or whoever else they have isn't going to have anywhere near the success unless Pete adapts his philosophy to help them succeed. He's stubborn though and like a lot of coaches thinks his system is more important than the players. I think he's wrong, maybe he's right and I guess we will find out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hasselback Part Deax
Anyone close to the team knows Russ and Tyler are super close and great friends. This infatuation with trying to paint Russ as someone no one liked is so weird to me.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Anyone close to the team knows Russ and Tyler are super close and great friends. This infatuation with trying to paint Russ as someone no one liked is so weird to me.
I don't think this is true. I am certainly not one of those trying to paint Russ as someone no one liked. I think there are likely several teammates who like Russ. However, from everything I've heard, Tyler is not close with Russ and there was/is some friction there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Russ was the perfect QB for Pete. Doesn't make many mistakes, helped the running game with his legs and when Pete was way too conservative and passive Russ could bail you out in the 4th quarter. Lock, Geno or whoever else they have isn't going to have anywhere near the success unless Pete adapts his philosophy to help them succeed. He's stubborn though and like a lot of coaches thinks his system is more important than the players. I think he's wrong, maybe he's right and I guess we will find out.

Russ WAS the perfect QB for Pete, as in past tense.

Unfortunately Russ decided he was no longer the perfect QB for Pete's offense, and forced his way out.......even though IMO Pete did use Russ correctly.

Ego is a helluva thing, as Denver's about to find out.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
You said anyone close to the team knows Russ and Tyler are super close and great friends???? In that case, we may have to accept Lockett and Russell kept their super close relationship and great friendship a well covered secret.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He couldnt beat out Geno Smith for the starting job. Thats all anybody needs to know.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He couldnt beat out Geno Smith for the starting job. Thats all anybody needs to know.
Or Teddy Bridgewater. This was already known about Drew Lock (from college to the NFL). The people throwing him out there as some legitimate part of that trade were operating in pure fantasy land. Pete claiming he would be their top QB in this last draft is pure fantasy land B.S. and if true he needs to go.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Or Teddy Bridgewater. This was already known about Drew Lock (from college to the NFL). The people throwing him out there as some legitimate part of that trade were operating in pure fantasy land. Pete claiming he would be their top QB in this last draft is pure fantasy land B.S. and if true he needs to go.
I think you need to go.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
For the moment, that's a pretty true statement.

Oh Lock will start some games this season, but it wont be for the reasons everybody wants them to be. He'll start because Smith will be so bad and Pete will have no choice but to try whatever he can. Lock wont be an improvement.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I get it guys will throw interceptions in the preseason. However, you can NEVER throw 3 interceptions in the last preseason game EVER. NEVER the last preseason game.