Predicting The Playoff Roster

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We have to cut the roster from 28 to 26. Anyone care to guess the 26 guys we go with against Toronto? And from my understanding, we can reset the roster after each series if we do advance.

Think Servais has already come out and said it will be Castillo in game 1, and then Ray in game 2. I would assume Gilbert would pitch game 3.

Here are the for sure guys:

(4) Starting pitching: Castillo, Ray, Gilbert, Kirby.

(8) Infield: France, Santana, Frazier, Crawford, Suarez, Raleigh, Moore, Casali

(4) Outfield: Julio, Haniger, Kelenic, Winker

(7) Bullpen: Swanson, Munoz, Sewald, Boyd, Brash, Castillo, Murfee

That leaves room for three more. Do they put Flex or Marco on roster? My guess is no. Only good use for them would be to come in during a blowout. Don’t see Marco being used as Toronto is RH heavy.

My guess is Trammell will likely make the roster. He adds some speed and can help defensively. Maybe a small chance they call up some random minor league speed guy just for pinch running. Haggerty was likely going to be used a lot late in games for either defense or pinch running.

Also decent chance Toro makes the roster as he can play multiple positions.

Not sure if they want to carry three catchers, but Torrens would be another option, he can also PH.

My final guess for the last three are Trammell, Torrens and Toro. I struggle the most with Toro as he doesn’t add much because he doesn’t have much speed.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Might be alone in this one but I'm going with the line up or something similar to the one used in the 14 game win streak yes that means Jessy Winky in the line up. Hag is out so either Toro or Kelenic or Moore will get more playing time. My starting outfield? It's tough but I'll go Hanny, Winky, and Julio. Santana DH. If Wink goes on-baseless in his first 2 at bats or commits an error then pull him and replace with Moore or Kelenic.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I agree on Marco, just not a good matchup for him to be much help. I think Flexen is too valuable to leave off the roster and I'd give him Torrens spot. Especially with Ray's recent struggles and Toronto being so RH heavy. Flexen could save our bacon if Ray struggles early in his start... I know you have Kirby, but Flex is already used to coming out of the pen. Idk if coming out of the pen would effect Kirby negatively or not. In that scenario I'd trust Flexen more.

On another note is it a foregone conclusion that Ray starts game 2? Obviously you're starting Castillo in game one. However, if you happen to lose game 1 I think you go Gilbert in game 2 as the better matchup against their lineup and then live/die with Ray in game 3 at that point...

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If it were me I’d go Castillo, Gilbert and then Kirby. It’s not an ideal series for Ray. But I thought SS already mentioned Ray is pitching game 2.

Zero chance we see Wink play in the OF. Just don’t think it’s worth the risk.

Thinking they will go with three catchers given Cal’s recent injuries. Could see Flex or Marco instead of Toro.

sutz

Reaction score
Don't they need to go 13/13 with position players and pitchers?

I like your lineup, but is it legal?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think they are going
1. Castillo
2. Ray
3. Gilbert

But I would have ZERO problems with them going Gilbert in game 2 if the M's lose game 1. Ray is damn good, but Gilbert is locked in. Good problem to have. And you still have Kirby, who COULD come out of the bullpen in Game 3 if needed. If it gets to game 3, you can't be "saving guys" for the next round. You go all in.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
While I didn't want Winker to play, a neck injury could explain a lot about him at the plate. 710 said this has been an issue a good portion of the year.
I'm VERY happy with Kelenic/Julio/Haniger as our outfield. Defense will be extremely important against a great offense like Toronto.

sutz

Reaction score
I think Marco goes. We only have 1 lefty in the pen now. He'd be a second.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think Marco goes. We only have 1 lefty in the pen now. He'd be a second.
Could also see them putting Marco on the team because he’s been on the team forever, also a key clubhouse guy. We may not need any lefties with how stacked Toronto is with righties. If we were playing Cleveland I feel confident about Marco being there.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Marco is expected to go 120+ pitches today. I don't think he'll even be available to pitch if they did decide to carry him. His contribution is today, emptying the tank and saving the bullpen for the playoffs series.

Edit: They pulled Marco at just 106 pitches. Idk if they just wanted to get Sewald and Swanson some work or if they really thought Marco couldn't go any more. His season high was 118. On the radio they didn't think he'd throw under 120 today 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Can't argue with pulling Marco when they did. He was getting hit. He gave us seven pretty strong innings.

And yes, Sewald hasn't thrown in several days. He needed an inning of work, I think. Swannie pitched just a day or so ago.

After the double header yesterday it was good to give the pen a bit of a break.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Don't they need to go 13/13 with position players and pitchers?

I like your lineup, but is it legal?
Nope, they can do any combo they want.
SS was talking about only carrying 11 pitchers since it’s a short series.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No Winker for this series, he is out with a neck injury. Not sure it was a given he would make the roster anyways.

Dipoto just said that Cade Marlowe will make the roster, he is a speed guy. He will make his debut in the postseason. I don’t even think he is considered a high end prospect but he can pinch run for us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good for that kid. I can't imagine how stoked/nervous he is right now. We need some speed on the base path for sure. I wish Servais would play small ball more, but that's just now how this team is built.

DJrmb

Reaction score

I'm kind of surprised about Festa making it, he's been rough lately.

Latest posts